No PS4 Announcement at E3

Dreakon139

Figured it's worth bringing here, since I recall a thread about this sort of topic...

Shooting down a report from last week that suggested the PlayStation 4 (and third Xbox) would be announced at this year's E3, Kaz Hirai has denied Sony plans to make any such announcement in June.

Pointing to Sony's dedication to having a 10-year life cycle with its gaming systems, Hirai -- the current chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment who is rumored to soon be Sony's next president -- said there isn't any hurry to bring out a new console. He echoed what was said by SCE president Andrew House, who recently stated Sony is "just entering into this great period for PS3," adding, "I don't think we're contemplating talking about anything to do with future console iterations at this point."

"Andy is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3," Hirai said at CES, reports the Wall Street Journal. "I've always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

Source: http://www.1up.com/news/no-ps4-announcement-e3

Yay for more PS3!

• Like 2

Release date was 2006 right? 10 year life cycle would mean 2016....

I understand that this year and maybe into next year there going to want to push the Vita. And whilst im all for keeping hold of my PS3 and making dam sure I get my moneys worth down to the last penny I cant see it being actual guides Sony will stick with. Wasn't there various reports that Sony had already handed out PS4 Dev kits to game developers, some of who had dropped there support for the PS3 to work on the next gen.

Setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".

The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.

The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.

Source Weather thats true or not

Yes I noticed how much of plank I made myself look after posting that LOL

But it does backup what ive been reading on various sites and just says to me there's no way there going to hang for that long on something that is essentially out dated.

Since its release, Sony’s PS3 was touted as a long-term gaming investment, with an expected shelf life of a full decade or 10 years. However Last 3 consoles had a 6 year life span releasing in 1994/5 (PS1), 2000 (PS2), 2006 (PS3)

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

Microsoft & Sony Holding Out Until 2014 to Release New Consoles

‘Uncharted 3′ Director Says PS3 Won’t be Able to Handle ‘Uncharted 4′

PS4 early specs 'more powerful' than Xbox 720, claims source

But yet everywhere you look every story points to a 2014 release or at least an announcement of some sorts witch would technically give the PS3 a shelf life of 8 years witch is still more then there normal 6 year life cycle. During a recent press event in London, head of Sony Europe, Jim Ryan, said that Sony did not want to fall too far behind when releasing the next generation Playstation.

During the press conference he made it clear that the release of the upcoming Wii, as well as the rumors of the next Xbox, have spurred Sony on to push the release of their next generation console. I just don't think it will pay off for them to wait that long.

Did this post redeem myself ? LOL

I'm sure around/before the 8 year mark, Sony will continue to evaluate the gaming environment and will make the call of whether or not it's in their best interest to go the full 10 years. Unless Microsoft gives them a reason to compete, there's nothing really stopping them from running with the PS3 a little while longer... the Wii U will barely compete with the current generation.

Let's just relish in the fact we won't have to think about it for at least another year. ;)

Im with spanky

i haven't even scratched the surface of my PS3 and there are so many things that they could still do with it... if you think about it, they really just got the ball rolling about a year or two ago and we are seeing more and more great games... it would be a waste in my opinion to come out with a new console any time soon... my vote is 2016, lol

I was actually kind of hoping for a Playstation 4, weirdly enough. I was however not that exited about paying for it :P

I just feel like todays consoles are kinda falling behind a bit, not by much though. After all, it's all about how much time the developers are willing to put into each and everyone of the platforms and at the moment, that doesn't seem like a lot...

I've said it before, and I will say it again....I don't want a PS4 until at least 2016. The PS3 is awesome, and their is no real need for another system yet! Way to go SONY!!!

^^This and then some. In the interest of squeezing consumers wallets to the breaking point I wouldn't have been surprised if Sony, or at the very least M$, got right on that next gen bandwagon but more PS3 is ok with me.

^^This and then some. In the interest of squeezing consumers wallets to the breaking point I wouldn't have been surprised if Sony, or at the very least M$, got right on that next gen bandwagon but more PS3 is ok with me.

Sony seems to be all about quality and really taking time to make an excellent product, while Microsoft is all about pushing the next thing out to make a quick buck! For example RROD!!!!!