JRPGs?

sideB_

Recently I've been digging my teeth into Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I played Pokémon literally all my life so I was drawn to the Familiar battle system, but I'm curious as to what else the PlayStation 3/PSN has to offer in terms of JRPGs.

I like the exploration involved with Ni No Kuni, running across barren land with enemies to battle to level up your players. The battle system is remarkable really, a little mix of live action with some turn-based elements in there.

Anything in the realm of the PSN that offers an experience similar to this?

Try Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory

Game's got fun Dialogue/story that also Parodies other Games & Otakuish habits, while breaking the 4th wall @ times. 

For its Combat system it lets you create/customize your own attacks.

While letting you freely move to plan your attacks using a small square/Rectangle/Line based on your equiped weapon(what I mean is...it deals damage to any enemies that are in the Square's range, you can try to exploit the placement to attack more then just 1 enemy on your 1 turn).

On your turn you can attack if I remember right 4 times, letting you string a different type of approach based on which skill you choose to install in the buttons(I made it sound complcated, but is just there in case you want to explore attacks).

Also the game has no difficulty setting...but when it wants you to think it's easy it becomes very easy killing enemies with 1 hit....but when it wants to get Hard it gets hard.

Regardless It's a very Fun game IMO.

Wish I remembered more about the game.

Edited by DarknessKey92
  • Like 1

Glad you liked Ni No Kuni! Wonderful game :)

Final Fantasy X HD is a good one although it traditionally takes place across a series of maps, rather than a giant world map - it marked the series departure from open world exploration into more localized environments - still great fun though, especially if you played it back on the PS2 days. You also get Final Fantasy X-2 with it for extra JRPG goodness.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD is also a good one, leans more onto the action RPG element. I let it pass me by when it first came out on the PS2 but made up for it with the HD re-release. It is a bit bouncier and less turn based, but if you peel back the surface layer, you'll find a meaty RPG system.

I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f, never played a 'Tales of...' game before and I love it. It's actually been making me think about Ni No Kuni - kinda miss playing it!

Anyway I would definitely recommend this, it's got a good mix of seriousness and humour in the storyline along with an enjoyable combat system. ^^

"Tales of" - These games are great fun, very strong storytelling

Resonance of Fate - nice simplistic story, cool battle mechanics and upgrade/level system

Disgaea - There is a reason these games are so popular. The battle mechanics and characters are just so solid.

FFX - Great characters, story, battle mechanics.

Honestly someone suggested Hyperdimension, I would highly reccommend against this. These games are very shallow and story-less. Basically driven by massive-titted anime girls. I mean if that's your thing...

White Knight Chronicles would of been great, but they closed the servers and the online experience was a big part of it.

Final Fantasy X HD is a good one, but the story is terrible lol.

I would say, try out Penny Arcade Adventures, it's not a JRPG,but it is turnbased and very good at that. The humor is amazing. My favorite rpg. PS store has two episodes of it, but unfortunately episode 3 was canned and will never be made.

I also don't recommend Hyperdimension, the dialogue is funny and all but the story goes nowhere.

I got nothing against massive bewbs, but don't get the game just for that

Final fantasy X is a good call

XIII as well, but since no one mentioned it...maybe it's just me =)

I also don't recommend Hyperdimension, the dialogue is funny and all but the story goes nowhere.

I got nothing against massive bewbs, but don't get the game just for that

Only Vert has them you don't need to transform cute girls into CPUs =D

is a JRPG an RPG with anime graphics?

Pretty much. It's used as abbreviation of Japanese Role Playing Game but it's more widely used to describe anime-RPGs.

We can just call it ARPG now... can't we? =D

Child of Light is not a JRPG, but it has a pretty good battle system, character stat upgrading, and 2D-platformer-like exploration. I just played the demo on PS4, though. 

You are right, but the battle system is JRPG-styled.

Edited by SatoshiOokami
  • Like 1

is a JRPG an RPG with anime graphics?

Kinda......But there are certain differences between Western RPGs and JRPGs. Character tropes, storytelling, battle mechanics......

Although, a lot of JRPGs are starting to take elements from the western counterparts to make them more appealing to the masses.

You should give a try these games:

Tales of Series: Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (Symphonia and Dawn of the New World), Tales of Grace F and Tales of Xillia

Final Fantasy Series (X, X-2 and XIII)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny

Edited by JC_Shiryuu