Officially addicted to Trophies

Malfuras

So I got my PS Vita yesterday. Loving every second of it. The remote play is amazingly impressive.

But anyways the reason for my topic. 

I got the Lego bundle with my Vita. Downloaded the Star Wars game first and was merrily playing away. Really fun, just like all of the Lego games. However..... After awhile I realized I had gained not one single Trophy. This I found to be unusual. When I discovered this was a PSP game I then realized it had no Trophies. So did I carry on having fun anyway like most normal gamers would!? No. I stopped. Deleted and downloaded one of the Lego games that did have Trophies.

That is just bad!

Playing games should be about the fun but I find I need that sense of accomplishment that comes with some sort of evidence of said accomplishment. A percentage on show to tell me how much I have achieved (or mostly how much I suck) at said game. And of course a combined completion to stare me in the face, mocking me for being so low. 

Maybe I would feel differently if i had more time on my hands. With more time comes the ability to clear backlog. With backlog cleared I can take the time to play games for fun. As it is though, I spend my time chasing those shiny Trophies.... and loving every second of it!

So there you go. To be honest there really wasn't a point to this topic. I'm sure many of you feel the same way and many of you think not playing a game because it has no Trophies is foolish but that's life.

I'm bored and waiting to take my cat to the vets because the little sods been fighting again. Hence the ramble.

Take care all! 

To be honest, I'm the same - I try not to bother and get carried away by trophies but I can't help it. I always try and get that shiny platinum (or 100% (PSN)), just because it's an extra layer to a game, meaning you can play it for longer and get a greater sense of achievement out of the game, instead of just completing the game :)

• Like 2

I find it a tad strange to play games that don't have trophies on the PS3 or the VIta, but I'm totally okay to play a game for fun and complete it 100% even though it doesn't have trophies on the 3DS, the PSP or the PS2 (Still play the last two from time to time).

So I guess that for me trophies became such a huge part of the experience from the PS3 onwards that playing games that don't have them on these systems is just... odd. Of course I still play them an try to experience them at their fullest (like I'm going to do with Mega Man 9 now that I bought it on the PSN sale), but yes, you get the felling that something is missing.

When I had a PS3 back in 2008-2009, I quickly became addicted. Even my wife says so. I'm trying to balance it not happening again with my PS4. Sure, I'm going to try and get a Platinum when I can... but I've promised myself that fun comes first. Now, I doubt I'd buy a game if it didn't have trophies, unless I really, really wanted to play it. As much as I love'em, I hate 'em; however, you just have to establish your goals with your time constraints and abilities in mind.

I can ( already have) spend thousands of hours playing games that don't have achievements, or are on another platform that playstation. Also if i don't enjoy a game, i can't play it just for trophies either. But i guess everyone has different likes when it comes to gaming and the most important part is to enjoy what you're doing/playing.

Also i don't understand what everyone has with; I HAVE TO COMPLETE MY BACKLOG. No, you don't. Why is it bad to left games unfinished? There is a reason you didn't play them till the end in the first place. 

Wether you're trophy whoring or just jerking around in a game, as long as you have fun, you're doing it right! =)

Edited by xZoneHunter

yeah, I agree with you, trophies is a lot of fun to collect. But sometimes I feel like playing games without trophies

If you find a good game that doesn't have trophies I'm sure you'll continue playing it, can I recommend you Metal Gear Solid 1? :)

MGS was amazing back on the PSOne. I really enjoyed it. I want to get 3 and 4 as I missed that era. But I've been told the Phantom Pain is set early in the timeline so I might get that and see if it reignites the MGS flare.

MGS was amazing back on the PSOne. I really enjoyed it. I want to get 3 and 4 as I missed that era. But I've been told the Phantom Pain is set early in the timeline so I might get that and see if it reignites the MGS flare.

I would still recommend playing them by order of release, since they made the games to make sense like that, explaining things at the right time

I think MGS 2 and 3 are on sale at the moment, Big Japan sale or something

Believe me, once you've hunted enough trophies, you'll want to take a break from it. I bought Persona 3 and Disgaea on my PS3 and neither have trophies, but they are fun as hell. 

It is nice to take a break from trophy hunting and remember the good oldies.