How Should I Choose A Futbol Club?

RedEye420

Hello from America. So I am a big sports fan. I have always enjoyed playing sports and following professional leagues. I have decided to start following soccer more closely but that means I need to choose a club. I've never been a fan of a foreign sports league so I really have no idea how to choose a club. I have no allegiance to cities, regions, or even specific players. Where should I start? As far as I know the Premier League is the top league in the world, no?

My first guess is that I need to just start watching/reading more soccer/football news and possibly pick out a favorite player or something and then go from there? The World Cup is easy obviously I can just root for my country but I am utterly lost about choosing a football club. Could some lovely non-Americans help point me in the right direction, please.

I guess you want to first pick a league which is going to be accessible for you to watch on T.V. I'm not sure what the coverage of the different european leagues is like where you are but the Premier League is available everywhere. Sure you can watch anything online but T.V. beats bad quality streams.

Only advise I can give you is watch the first couple of weeks at the start of the season, see if any teams catch your eye i.e. playing style, individual talent or something simple like the colour of the kit ;)

• Like 1

The watch/read news about football is best first option. Now if you really want to pick a team and when i say team i mean it, you should study its strategy, how they are as a group, otherwise you'll become one of the typical fan of Barcelona because Messi, or Real Madrid's fan because CR7. 

You need to fall in love with a team, that's being a fan.

• Like 1

Being as I'm from the  United Kingdom and most likely everyone will say is to support your team which-ever state you're in. There are also football fans that they tend to follow from their family routes of who they support which is basically what I did. When growing up at the age of around 8yrs old. I watched my first match on T.V  and that I had enjoyed it very much. My favourite colour was red (relevant because I liked the kits they were wearing) and the way the team played. Fast, exciting, and attacking football, it was my style of play and for 15 yrs I've grown up supporting Manchester United

If I was in your position then I would find a club that feels right for you, a club that you feel like part of the family. 

photo.jpg

• Like 2

Whaaaat?

You don't just choose a football club to support, you're born with that information. You choose when you're very young and never change.

But since you've only started enjoying football now, I'd take the chance of watching many football matches without having a club to support, eventually you'll like one more than the others. But bare in mind that watching football without being a fan of a club can be very cool

• Like 4

I grew up locally living in North London a predominant part of Tottenham to be precise but my family have always been Arsenal fans for as long as I can remember, so going to matches with my late father is one of those special moments between father and his son going together and watching their team play at our stadium at Highbury I cherish the most.

One thing I can't stand about football fans of today they will immediately support the team with the most success, i.e Chelski the thing is if it was not for Abramovich Chelsea would have been put into administration and would have ceased to have exist.

First off you don't need to support a team i love football and watch 3 leagues i've always supported one team because its the team my family supported and we would sit and watch them play when i was very little and its one of the few good memories i have thats Benfica i have supported them for over 20 years Marítimo also has a special place in my heart as thats my local team i should really support them but their kit and lack of football style always put me off lol but like i said i've always loved Benfica and it brings back nice memories for me In Portugal Benfica are the number 1 supported team because of their success but you should never support a team based on that as winning isn't everything Look at Arsenal they might have gone something like 8 years without winning a trophy but they achieved more than most teams by respecting their principle sticking with the manager through toughs times and playing attractive football whilst on a smaller budgets than other teams around them.So you dont really need to support a team just enjoy the Sport if you do decide to support a team first pick a team which you like the principle of something local where you can actually watch them live as theres nothing better and you'll get a feel for the club and what it means to be a supporter too many people support teams and never even see them live nor do they understand what it really means to be a supporter

• Like 1

If you are going to watch the premier league just find something like this http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/which-english-premier-league-team-should-you-support , and whatever you get start to watch them and you probably start to actually like them soon enough...or you could just do it the long way and watch every team play and pick whichever one pleased you the most.

• Like 1

One thing I can't stand about football fans of today they will immediately support the team with the most success, i.e Chelski the thing is if it was not for Abramovich Chelsea would have been put into administration and would have ceased to have exist.

Blame Liverpool for that. All they had to do is just to win against them then BOOM. Chelski would of gone under -__- 

Blame Liverpool for that. All they had to do is just to win against them then BOOM. Chelski would of gone under -__- 

Ha! Nope. Chelsea's become too popular and a very merketable "brand" in this last decade. Even if Abramovich decided to stop supporting it financially they'd still be stupidly popular and be able to annoy us all. Unlike Manchester City, which is a relatively new franchise in terms of modern success, Chelsea has already been successful for quite a few years (and even before the russian bought it), so they wouldn't go under just because of a loss against Liverpool.

Still, fuck Chelsea :P.

Chelsea were on the verge of administration and needed a buyer and by chance Abramovich was in London rumoured to be interested in buying Tottenham but on a journey by helicopter he noticed Stamford Bridge in the distance and enquired to one of his PA's who's stadium that belonged to and of course as we all know it was Chelsea.

If they did go into administration we would probably see Chelsea in the same position as Portsmouth right now.

• Like 1

Chelsea were on the verge of administration and needed a buyer and by chance Abramovich was in London rumoured to be interested in buying Tottenham but on a journey by helicopter he noticed Stamford Bridge in the distance and enquired to one of his PA's who's stadium that belonged to and of course as we all know it was Chelsea.

If they did go into administration we would probably see Chelsea in the same position as Portsmouth right now.

Yeah, but how is that Liverpool's fault for not winning a match (let alone one played about 10 years after Chelsea was bought)?

Yeah, but how is that Liverpool's fault for not winning a match (let alone one played about 10 years after Chelsea was bought)?

I never mentioned Liverpool in my posts, I'm just stating the facts that if Chelsea did not find a buyer they would be playing in the lower leagues by now, which is a shame as I hate Chelsea just as much as you.

Italian Serie A is not spectacular but Italians are known for their strong defensive tactics and being able to football you into sleep and score out of the blue in the 88th minute

English Premier League is not as strong as it used to be, still the English are known for their fast paced counter-football and overall the level of skill is fairly high on any team.

Spanish Primera Division is nowadays the strongest league, very offensive and dominant style of play with upcoming backs and wing forwards rushing up through the sides.

German Bundesliga is quite interesting as you don't see the same teams win the league every year.

Other leagues aren't really worth mentioning

• Like 1

I never mentioned Liverpool in my posts, I'm just stating the facts that if Chelsea did not find a buyer they would be playing in the lower leagues by now, which is a shame as I hate Chelsea just as much as you.

I thought you were linking it in some way or another to Pyrotheseus's post, my bad.

• 4 months later...

My advice is to watch some games when you can, there are plenty of full matches on youtube for free aswell if you dont have access to games, from there you will learn about the game and what aspects of it you enjoy watching. Certain teams have certain styles of playing and each league is totally different in terms of pace, flare, attacking, defending, etc

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Simple really. Support where you come from

no matter how shit they are (and yes I would know). Don't do what 80% of the worlds population do and support a team from a city you've no affiliation with. NO RESPECT FOR THESE PEOPLE AT ALL! But if you really need telling that then I guess you fall into the latter.

• Like 1