Why do you pre-order games?

Sir_Palkia

A few of my friends have been disappointed with Destiny and have told me they wish they hadn't pre-ordered the game. This got me thinking, why do gamers pre-order games?

I've never pre-ordered a game nor have i ever felt a need to. As a result, the whole idea of pre-ordering games seems alien to me.

The only reason i can think of is that you want to make sure you have a copy of the game at launch but despite living in a busy area in London with only one game shop on it, i've never seen a game that i bought on launch be sold out. Be it a Call of Duty, Pokemon or more recently Destiny, there's always a few copies available every time i stroll in with cash in hand on a late afternoon.

So i ask you, do you pre-order games? How many do you pre-order? Have you ever pre-ordered a game you didn't like? Go into as much detail as you want and help me understand!

• Like 1

As for me i just preorder from japan the limited editions (like the famitsu dx packs games, nice extras) just to secure since some of them tend to increase the price: (i'm watching you senran kagura nyunuy pack..)

Other than that i dont really care about preorders specially the american releases since they rarely gives something worthy 

• Like 2

I preorder games any time I want to get the collector's editions. I'm not sure how many I've preordered but there's been quite a few and I haven't regretted a single one. But every one was for an RPG and I always enjoy those.

What's the benefits of having the Collector's edition over the normal one? Im guessing it comes with more stuff but what kind of stuff?

When I do, it's to support a developer whose work I really enjoy.  It's less about the game itself and more about showing support the only way publishers listen:  with my wallet.

Developers do love a thick, plump and sexy wallet

What's the benefits of having the Collector's edition over the normal one? Im guessing it comes with more stuff but what kind of stuff?

Hmm, it really varies, both on what they decide to put in and sometimes on which version you get as sometimes there is more than 1 collector's edition, like Borderlands 2 for instance had the Deluxe Vault Hunter edition and then the Ultimate Loot Chest edition.

Some will come with extra game content though most of that usually ends up for sale later on. Some will come with art books or soundtracks or maps. Then others will come with figurines and statues like my Skyrim Legendary edition or Two Worlds 2 collector's edition. Some of the collector's editions for the Vita will come with skins and/or carrying cases for the Vita. Record of Agarest War for the 360 came with a mouse pad.

And then there's the Lord of the Rings: War in the North which came with a quiver case.

lord_of_the_rings_war_in_the_north_colle

If EB wasn't 45 minutes away and I could drive, I'd preorder more because I'm an impatient person and want all the games. It's a nice feeling knowing there's a copy out there for you. Where I live there is a chance of games being sold out quickly. Our EB Games is the only one in a wide area. If there is another, it'll be about 2 hours away. The extras that come with them is also nice. As of now, I've only preordered one and that was Pokemon X. Came with a map of the region. The two legends are on the back, but that map is ten times prettier.

Hmm, it really varies, both on what they decide to put in and sometimes on which version you get as sometimes there is more than 1 collector's edition, like Borderlands 2 for instance had the Deluxe Vault Hunter edition and then the Ultimate Loot Chest edition.

Some will come with extra game content though most of that usually ends up for sale later on. Some will come with art books or soundtracks or maps. Then others will come with figurines and statues like my Skyrim Legendary edition or Two Worlds 2 collector's edition. Some of the collector's editions for the Vita will come with skins and/or carrying cases for the Vita. Record of Agarest War for the 360 came with a mouse pad.

And then there's the Lord of the Rings: War in the North which came with a quiver case.

lord_of_the_rings_war_in_the_north_colle

Damn! That looks fiine! Might have to pre-ordering some stuff!

I normally don't preorder games because I don't really see the point in getting a game the second it hits the store. My only exception is Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. I preordered it because I found out the DLC was free the first week, and I didn't want to miss out. I was originally going to get Ultimax for my birthday in a few months and buy a game or two for my vita instead, but now I can just switch the order of when I'm getting my games and get more content/enjoyment out of Ultimax.

If EB wasn't 45 minutes away and I could drive, I'd preorder more because I'm an impatient person and want all the games. It's a nice feeling knowing there's a copy out there for you. Where I live there is a chance of games being sold out quickly. Our EB Games is the only one in a wide area. If there is another, it'll be about 2 hours away. The extras that come with them is also nice. As of now, I've only preordered one and that was Pokemon X. Came with a map of the region. The two legends are on the back, but that map is ten times prettier.

Oh dayum, can i have that map? Pretty please? :D

The last game i pre-ordered was Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii. I really don't see the point in pre-ordering. If people are worried about the quantity then that's not really a problem as there will be plenty copies on day one. If people do it for bonuses then that's not really worth it either. There's rarely any significant perks that come with pre-ordering games. It also bugs me when people walk out of gamestop with $60 worth of pre-orders.  

The last game i pre-ordered was Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii. I really don't see the point in pre-ordering. If people are worried about the quantity then that's not really a problem as there will be plenty copies on day one. If people do it for bonuses then that's not really worth it either. There's rarely any significant perks that come with pre-ordering games. It also bugs me when people walk out of gamestop with $60 worth of pre-orders.  

I dont really see the point either, which is exactly why i posed the question. The main thing i dont get is that you have NO idea whether you will like the game or not so you're putting down money on the chance of you enjoying a game when instead you can wait till it comes out, maybe have a look at a review or some gameplay then make an informed decision. If its a series you love then i guess i can understand but still...

I pre-order games for two reasons; 1) So I get all the goodies that comes with getting the limited or collector's edition of games. and 2) To secure that I get a copy. Hell, I didn't start to pre-order things up until about 3 years ago, probably due to my lack of money/decreased interest in games due to high school swamping me, but I started to feel that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get cool things with the game, as well as have it first day. I'm very impatient when it comes to getting games. I've regretting not pre-ordering games before, like Tales of Xillia or Drakengard 3 for their CEs, so if I see a game I REALLY WANT, I throw my money at Gamestop or the Square Enix shop, or wherever I'm getting it from.

I have six games currently on pre-order from now until whenever SSB Wii U comes out, since that's probably gonna be the last in my line-up to get released, and I'm already looking forward to next year *coughxenobladechroniclesxcough*

Edited by TheFinalEmblem
  • Like 1

Yeah, it depends on the game type too because they won't actually always have enough copies day one. As Masamune_316 said, stores never seem to get that many copies of JRPGs in or even just RPGs period in some cases. At the GameStop I usually go to, which actually attracts quite a few RPG gamers, more so than the other stores in the area, I was the only one to preorder Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll (the RPG gamers that work there hadn't even heard of it) and the only one to preorder the Two Worlds 2 collector's edition.

Edited by BooneJusticius

My precious~

It looks like it was painted and I love it. I think it was worth preordering. Plus side, I've loved Pokemon since the Blue/Red days.

YEAH WELL POKEMON SUX. ANYTHING AFTER GEN 1 AND MAYBE GEN 2 SUX AND IS UNORIGINAL AND GAME FREAK R THE WURST AND COD IS SOO MUCH BETTR AND REALISTIC. (I dont feel like i need to say this but that was sarcasm. I'll always be a fan of pokemon which is why i wil sssteal the precious from you!)

Yeah, it depends on the game type too because they won't actually always have enough copies day one. As Masamune_316 said, stores never seem to get that many copies of JRPGs in or even just RPGs period in some cases. At the GameStop I usually go to, which actually attracts quite a few RPG gamers, more so than the other stores in the area, I was the only one to preorder Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll (the RPG gamers that work there hadn't even heard of it) and the only one to preorder the Two Worlds 2 collector's edition.

Hmm. So RPG's ain't so popular over in the west. I blame all those cotton-pickin' no good lousy kids and their Fifa and Call of Duty and their Battlefield, ruining the beauty of REAL games

Edited by Sir_Palkia
  • Like 1

Hmm. So RPG's ain't so popular over in the west. I blame all those cotton-pickin' no good lousy kids and their Fifa and Call of Duty and their Battlefield, ruining the beauty of REAL games

Yeah,it really seems that way. My brother-in-law is one of those CoD playing guys, and that's all he plays. He looks at the games I play, which are mostly J/RPG, and always calls them weird. He refuses to play them because "They're too long" or "There's too much talking" or whatever. He hates to hear epic stories and engage in awesome battles and adventures. If you can't point at and shoot something, he doesn't want to even be in contact with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, in some cases we're lucky to even get a physical release of a game. Like "Of Orcs and Men" for instance or even "Child of Light", no physical copy for the US.

Well, in a way yes. The new era of Western RPG's are doing good, Shootem up's with loot/lvl systems. JRPG's, No...not so good. Which sucks, cause JRPG's are wicked. Oh well. Westerners like stuff the way they like it, which is why i like Japan so much, they get all kinds of neat little things when it comes to game's/systems. 

Edited by TalynnStrike

Yeah,it really seems that way. My brother-in-law is one of those CoD playing guys, and that's all he plays. He looks at the games I play, which are mostly J/RPG, and always calls them weird. He refuses to play them because "They're too long" or "There's too much talking" or whatever. He hates to hear epic stories and engage in awesome battles and adventures. If you can't point at and shoot something, he doesn't want to even be in contact with it.

Ugh. I HATE those kinds of gamers, if you can even call em that. Those guys that play one genre or even just one franchise and disregard all other games. As much as i hate their ignorance, i actually feel really sorry for them. I mean, it's their loss, really!

Even though i've never played a JRPG, that doesn't mean im gonna slag em off. Maybe some day i'll play one and becomes a massive fan of them, who knows, it might even become my favourite genre one day! It's always good to keep an open mind, especially with video games

Yeah, in some cases we're lucky to even get a physical release of a game. Like "Of Orcs and Men" for instance or even "Child of Light", no physical copy for the US.

That must be really upsetting for JRPG fans in the west. I guess it's more to do with the money involved and the audience why there aren't many retail releases

That must be really upsetting for JRPG fans in the west. I guess it's more to do with the money involved and the audience why there aren't many retail releases

Yeah, I mean I don't mind just getting a digital copy, I actually prefer it that way on the Vita, but so many refuse to take a chance on a game if they can't get a physical copy that a game ends up not selling as well as it otherwise could. It's like they don't do a physical copy because it's not going to sell that well but at the same time it doesn't sell that well because they didn't do a physical copy.

In some cases there isn't even an announcement that a game is coming out. I remember when Atelier Totori Plus for the Vita came out, it just showed up, Tecmo Koei didn't do any kind of announcement or give anyone a heads up. It just got shoved out there on the PSN store.

The above is one of the reasons I would preorder, it's one way to let the publishers know that there is indeed an interest in the games they're releasing. Even if in some instances the publisher doesn't even seem interested in the games they publish lol.

Edited by BooneJusticius