Why do you pre-order games?

Sir_Palkia

I feel like everyone's a JRPG fan in this thread but me!

Yeah, I mean I don't mind just getting a digital copy, I actually prefer it that way on the Vita, but so many refuse to take a chance on a game if they can't get a physical copy that a game ends up not selling as well as it otherwise could. It's like they don't do a physical copy because it's not going to sell that well but at the same time it doesn't sell that well because they didn't do a physical copy.

In some cases there isn't even an announcement that a game is coming out. I remember when Atelier Totori Plus for the Vita came out, it just showed up, Tecmo Koei didn't do any kind of announcement or give anyone a heads up. It just got shoved out there on the PSN store.

The above is one of the reasons I would preorder, it's one way to let the publishers know that there is indeed an interest in the games they're releasing. Even if in some instances the publisher doesn't even seem interested in the games they publish lol.

Is that for real? is there really no announcement sometimes? I dont know if it laziness or lack of motivation, maybe both. Life as a JRPG in the west sounds rough, real rough.

Edited by Sir_Palkia

Is that for real? is there really no announcement sometimes? I dont know if it laziness or lack of motivation, maybe both. Life as a JRPG in the west sounds rough, real rough.

It happens, although I haven't had an experience where a game I want comes out w/o an announcement before. The west just isn't huge on JRPGs and fans of them like the east is, which is very disappointing to me. Also, just compare how they advertise things over there compared to here. Huge buildings with an advertisement for it on the side for them compared to a 1-2 minute trailer for us, if we're even lucky to get that.

The only game I ever pre-ordered was Gran Turismo 6. I really enjoyed GT5 but was sad I didn't have any of the pre-release cars (They are never released as DLC), so I wanted to make sure I got them this time around. I have not been playing it lately, but I have no regrets about the pre-release, and I intend to get back into it when I have more time (or at least more patience...)

I really do love those special cars. Most of them are too difficult for me to drive at the moment, but I still enjoy looking at them! And of the drivable ones, many are favorites.

The only game I ever pre-ordered was Gran Turismo 6. I really enjoyed GT5 but was sad I didn't have any of the pre-release cars (They are never released as DLC), so I wanted to make sure I got them this time around. I have not been playing it lately, but I have no regrets about the pre-release, and I intend to get back into it when I have more time (or at least more patience...)

I really do love those special cars. Most of them are too difficult for me to drive at the moment, but I still enjoy looking at them! And of the drivable ones, many are favorites.

It happens, although I haven't had an experience where a game I want comes out w/o an announcement before. The west just isn't huge on JRPGs and fans of them like the east is, which is very disappointing to me. Also, just compare how they advertise things over there compared to here. Huge buildings with an advertisement for it on the side for them compared to a 1-2 minute trailer for us, if we're even lucky to get that.

Oh, it sounds so sad. I would fly all of you over to Japan if i could!

Edited by Sir_Palkia

YEAH WELL POKEMON SUX. ANYTHING AFTER GEN 1 AND MAYBE GEN 2 SUX AND IS UNORIGINAL AND GAME FREAK R THE WURST AND COD IS SOO MUCH BETTR AND REALISTIC. (I dont feel like i need to say this but that was sarcasm. I'll always be a fan of pokemon which is why i wil sssteal the precious from you!)

GEARS AND ICE CREAM WTF SO UNORIGINAL

I figured. xD I totally loved my Vanilluxe.

It shall remain hidden forever in the darkest, safest corner of my closet. 

In the past I've always pre-ordered games to ensure I get the edition I want like a collectors or special or limited edition. Also, simply because I can. Nowadays since I have over 30 games I still haven't played I've stopped pre-ordering unless it a collectors edition etc. After all, why pay full price for a game I may not even get around to playing for 6 months when I could wait and save myself some money in the process.

GEARS AND ICE CREAM WTF SO UNORIGINAL

I figured. xD I totally loved my Vanilluxe.

It shall remain hidden forever in the darkest, safest corner of my closet. 

I'll never understand why Gen 5 got so much hate. It's probably my favourite! 

Oh and your map will one day come out of the closet, i'll make sure if that *Creepy smiley face*

Only game I preordered was FF13. Targets preorder system, at the time, was you pay $1 and you get a $5 giftcard when you buy the game after release. The first week of release, the games tend to be the cheapest (on sale) for at least a couple months. FF13 is the reason I bought a PS3 to begin with. I now have such a huge backlog of games, I will not be preordering anything specific for the foreseeable future.

I *would* preorder a collectors edition if it came with something really unique and cool, but I'm determined to get through a bunch of games first and can't justify such expensive games if I'm not going to get to them until they've been reduced to $20 or $30 at retailers.

I DON'T pre order games, I don't see the point as so many games look really really good... and then are so disappointing when they come out.

I buy a lot of games, if I pre ordered I definitely would have bought the games I was looking forward to such as - Thief, Knack, Watchdogs, NHL15... When they were released it was obvious they were not as good as they were supposed to be, so NOT getting preordered games has saved me money and saved me being disappointed in these games

...never will preorder... don't see the point

Pre-order bonuses as well as the ability to drop a few bucks every week until the game is paid off instead of dropping $60 at once. Plus I'm an absolute sucker for Limited Editions so I generally always pre-order those too. 

I honestly can't remember the last time I was genuinely disappointed in a game. Sure I'm not able to read reviews if I pre-order (for the most part) but I do enough research before buying that I know almost exactly what to expect. 

Parker

I Personally Pre-Order to Secure Limited or Collector's Editions for Games & Series I really Like and for games I can see being Very Hard to find in the future.

My Last Pre-Order was Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus - Lets get Physical

I Never Pre-Order a Game from a Series I never played before or know anything about. As a result I've never been disappointed in my choices or Regretted it

Edited by Akira

Pre-order bonuses as well as the ability to drop a few bucks every week until the game is paid off instead of dropping $60 at once. Plus I'm an absolute sucker for Limited Editions so I generally always pre-order those too. 

I honestly can't remember the last time I was genuinely disappointed in a game. Sure I'm not able to read reviews if I pre-order (for the most part) but I do enough research before buying that I know almost exactly what to expect. 

Parker

I Personally Pre-Order to Secure Limited or Collector's Editions for Games & Series I really Like and for games I can see being Very Hard to find in the future.

My Last Pre-Order was Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus - Lets get Physical

These two posts have my reasoning behind preorders too although I tend to pay half a preorder and then the remainder on release but still securing limited editions when possible, making sure I get a copy of a game that will become near impossible to find physical later on among other reasons and honestly there's only been the odd game here and there that have disappointed me.

I only usually pre-order if it's a collector's or limited edition and even then it depends on the bonuses.

I will probably start pre ordering games that will become hard to find later like J/RPGs and such, or if it'll be on an unpopular console. Looking at you Tales of Hearts R.

I would've loved to pre-order Drakengard 3 CE but never did because you only got a download code for the game and no disc (In the UK anyway), which imo, makes it worthless.

I will only ever buy digital versions if it's a mega bargain over the physical.

Well, i guess the main and principal because you have the money to do it so you won't regret it in the future.

Another reason is that they want to get the mp trophies out of the way asap (some people has told me that).

I preordered games in the past and i got the GOW3 pandora's box edition, pes game due steelbook case, and a few other games but i stopped preordered games because:

1) My backlog is too big, i have many games sealed.

2) It's too much common nowadays that games have add-ons, season pass, so i prefer to get the base game cheaper because DLC is almost never on sale.

3) At this moment I just play PS3 games and the novelty now is the PS4 so many ps3 games drop their prices in a few weeks, again no need to be in a hurry to purchase them day one.

I'm still amazed that i preordered Bioshock infinite and in about a month drop 20 bucks.

Parker

So you have to ability to pay week by week? I wasn't aware of that.  I just assumed you paid it all up front.

Normally because of pre-order extras or just for playing in the release date.

I just pre-ordered The Last of Us, GTA V and Call of Duty: Ghosts. 

I stopped getting those because of Ghosts, that game definitely sucked!

Also after that frustration, i started reading reviews and watching gameplays before buying a game.