Bungie: "Destiny Is a Different Game After 20 Hours"

kidhero99

Why do people keep calling this game an mmo when it clearly isn't, there is zero player interaction which improves the experiece, you can't make guilds, you can't trade with players and there is no auction hourse/market place. Destiny doesn't have any of those its just a FPS and a generic at that.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is:

1. If you like the game - awesome! Enjoy it, play it and have fun with friends

2. If you don't like the game - awesome! Enjoy something else

But if you don't like it, don't be destructive, don't try to accumulate as much negativity about something as possible to try and topple it for people that are actually having fun with it. I'm loving it, as is my clan but I can understand how it might not be people's cup of tea. The only difference is, i'm not trying to weaponize my opinion of it and force people to like it. I don't care.

Relax, let the people who enjoy it, enjoy it. It doesn't matter if you personally find the game rubbish or want to exclaim that it is to as many people as possible. What matters is that you live and let live - which I think is EXACTLY what the gaming community needs to preach in the current gaming climate.

Thank you so much for saying that, it seems every piece of content somehow related to the game immediatly gets flooded with people whining about how it didn't fit their personal taste. I mean what the hell happened to people? I have never seen anybody on the site harass any people who play Call Of Duty or sports games, even though these people get loads of hate everywhere else on the internet. But now all of sudden we're idiots for enjoying something you don't? Has the great gaming drought dried you up this badly or what is it? I don't understand it.

I feel like at this point people are trying to do everything possible to bring destiny down.

It's starting to get sad

I do find it quite humorous how some people completely ignore the positive comments made about the game and only quote and post the negative comments here. The failed reading comprehension in just the icing on top of the cake, nowhere did Bungie or anyone else say it takes 20 hours to become enjoyable, people have said at 20 hours the game is much different than at hour 1. 

It is funny how much effort some people put into hating a game. 

Parker

• Like 4

I wasn't going to grab it as I've found the Halo games pretty soulless, but a couple of my mates picked it up and the idea of some 3 player fire-team action perked my interest.  Every AAA game is over-hyped, it's marketing no big studio is being to release a game and say it's 'this years average shooter'

I'm getting my copy this Friday and intend to use my own experiences to form an opinion of the game rather than use Dr Internet to diagnose it.  I liked borderlands and this seems similar in play-style so hopeful about it being fun, not expecting a life changing experience.

It's all personal opinion, e.g. personally I haven't really engaged with JRPGs since FF7 but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend my time railing against them.

I think for a lot of people it takes some time before the realization sets in that it's not going to get any better. I imagine a lot of people struggle to accept that something from a studio as trusted as Bungie could come out this undercooked.

Honestly if this game came from some new studio somewhere, people would see it more as a promising start. Instead it comes from a massive studio with a massive budget, and people are left scratching their heads. It's maybe the oddest AAA release I've ever seen, and you're seeing that fact play out in the mixed reactions and reviews

It's not that the game is irredeemable. Even people that don't like it have admitted they nailed the shooting and the graphics. Everything else though..to get a game this middling when you were expecting greatness is shocking.

I don't even mean from a genre perspective. Everyone who claims that people bought into the hype and were expecting the wrong game, they seem to misunderstand that it's not the genre people were hyped over. It was a game from Bungie. It had a pedigree to live up to, even before the marketing machine began to turn. Instead we got a game with good shooting and nice graphics and very little else. 

A game that is decidedly less than its parts.

The game after 20 hours becomes an even worst grind fest. PvP is also not satisfying. Matchmaking is horrible. Takes forever. And their isnt enough modes and variation. Maps are ho hum. Halo this aint unfortunately. Bungie really dropped the ball on this. I was genuinely hyped and enjoyed the game early on hoping there would be more to the game than what was shown in the beta, didn't realise the beta was pretty much a demo of 1/3 of the full game, but the end game is really a bore.

Edited by kidhero99

I think for a lot of people it takes some time before the realization sets in that it's not going to get any better. I imagine a lot of people struggle to accept that something from a studio as trusted as Bungie could come out this undercooked.

Honestly if this game came from some new studio somewhere, people would see it more as a promising start. Instead it comes from a massive studio with a massive budget, and people are left scratching their heads. It's maybe the oddest AAA release I've ever seen, and you're seeing that fact play out in the mixed reactions and reviews

It's not that the game is irredeemable. Even people that don't like it have admitted they nailed the shooting and the graphics. Everything else though..to get a game this middling when you were expecting greatness is shocking.

I don't even mean from a genre perspective. Everyone who claims that people bought into the hype and were expecting the wrong game, they seem to misunderstand that it's not the genre people were hyped over. It was a game from Bungie. It had a pedigree to live up to, even before the marketing machine began to turn. Instead we got a game with good shooting and nice graphics and very little else. 

A game that is decidedly less than its parts.

The game after 20 hours becomes an even worst grind fest. PvP is also not satisfying. Matchmaking is horrible. Takes forever. And their isnt enough modes and variation. Maps are ho hum. Halo this aint unfortunately. Bungie really dropped the ball on this. I was genuinely hyped and enjoyed the game early on hoping there would be more to the game than what was shown in the beta, didn't realise the beta was pretty much a demo of 1/3 of the full game, but the end game is really a bore.

I'm confused, are you tailoring your personal opinion into something that is trying to be factual? or speaking for an entire gaming community comprising of millions of people?

If you are speaking from opinion then a general tip would be to go with something like "Having played it, I personally feel that Destiny isn't all it is cracked up to be". We can all respect a constructive opinion.

If you are appointing yourself as a spokesperson for a group of gamers that is big enough to rival the collected population of a sizeable country....well...

28228-Thats-Unpossible-Ralph-wiggum-PcuI

• Like 1

Nah, but it's more of a general consensus than anything looking at people who played the game and are talking about said game on various sites. Whether you like it or not, accept it or not, wanna downplay it and dismiss other people's opinions that don't conform to your own or not,  Destiny is not without it's flaws.  The amount of peer pressure to get in line with ,   or get shat on in every thread about a big new game... is amazing 

Pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzOM0FjU7Y&list=UUvHtEkC1NPbdC7c1eCupsnQ

Edited by kidhero99

Nah, but it's more of a general consensus than anything looking at people who played the game and are talking about said game on various sites. Whether you like it or not, accept it or not, wanna downplay it and dismiss other people's opinions that don't conform to your own or not,  Destiny is not without it's flaws.  The amount of peer pressure to get in line with ,   or get shat on in every thread about a big new game... is amazing 

Pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzOM0FjU7Y&list=UUvHtEkC1NPbdC7c1eCupsnQ

The trend of people slamming it in various corners of the internet isn't an isolated case. It happens all the time with pretty much any game from a huge studio.

What you are highlighting isn't something that is specific to Bungie//Destiny it is a general 'bandwagon' approach that a huge portion of people engage in. I'm all for a constructive review and something that weighs up the pros and cons of a game. But videogame journalism is broken, check out the numerous documentaries and reports on how borked it has become since it has evolved into a free enterprise - negativity will always breed internet traffic.

Maybe I don't care enough. I am very much the sort of person that if I enjoy a game, I enjoy it. I don't give a crap about whether someone else liked it or not. I don't care if people feel otherwise about a game I enjoy, but I get angry when people try to be aggressive about their negative perception and try to force their viewpoint on others to convert them. That viewpoint extends to movies, religion and pretty much anything else that divides people on some level.

it's more like an online heavily Halo game for multiplatform, even though i grow tired of FPS's but i only saw some gameplay for it and surprisingly now i really want to get it on ps3 ( only thing i got at the moment ), TBH i don't want to hear more negative stuff about the game, the most thing that attracted me more to the game is the action RPG elements, as the tacked on online is a bit turn me off.  

The trend of people slamming it in various corners of the internet isn't an isolated case. It happens all the time with pretty much any game from a huge studio.

What you are highlighting isn't something that is specific to Bungie//Destiny it is a general 'bandwagon' approach that a huge portion of people engage in. I'm all for a constructive review and something that weighs up the pros and cons of a game. But videogame journalism is broken, check out the numerous documentaries and reports on how borked it has become since it has evolved into a free enterprise - negativity will always breed internet traffic.

Maybe I don't care enough. I am very much the sort of person that if I enjoy a game, I enjoy it. I don't give a crap about whether someone else liked it or not. I don't care if people feel otherwise about a game I enjoy, but I get angry when people try to be aggressive about their negative perception and try to force their viewpoint on others to convert them. That viewpoint extends to movies, religion and pretty much anything else that divides people on some level.

70s isn't bad scores. It's reviewers' responsibility toward their audience to keep them well informed, and it's publishers' responsibility to provide games for reviewing in a timely fashion.There doesnt seem to be any "honeymoon" period before people start to realize the major problems like some other big releases. Or outlets feel compelled to give a game high marks since they've been hyping a game for a year before its released.  But to be honest, I feel the landscape gaming in general can be quite toxic at times.

Example:

Well that was disappointing. This game looks a lot worse than I thought including the graphics. IMO Forza Horizon 2 demo looks a lot better since we seen both today, top down from the sounds to the UI.

I understand the stream quality was low but it was still a good indication. Not just the graphics but everything. The music was lacking and absolutely terrible, the ui looked worse, the ai might've been on rails - they weren't fierce, the sounds lacked punch, the guy streaming refused to show the cockpit view after numerous people asked, etc., imo Forza Horizon 2 just looks more ambitious.

You know it is not wrong to have console allegiances. I mean that's his/her priority, but I've seen some people feeling the need to come to another thread/topic, article on a site, and constantly downplay another console's game and its pretty sad. I dont know why people do it. Usually the clear suspect is someone who does not find a redeeming quality in any game released exclusively on another console. It is just sad that they are so obsessed about their console of choice that they almost get some kick out of finding faults and trashing other exclusive games.

But yeah, All AAA games get backlash, it's how the hype machine works I suppose. It also seems to me work both ways  Like you said, "People can get aggressive about their negative perception and try to force their viewpoint on others to convert them." Some people can  get disillusioned by the game. Some people have their identity wrapped so tightly up in it that they can't even begin to fathom any faults, and you are brushed off and labeled a hater, etc when you dont share the same positive viewpoint about a game and offer a contrarian opinion despite however valid it might be. So you basically get the back and forth posts you'll seen in a lot of sites.

I suppose it is what it is.

My tendency for pre-ordering games has diminished over time and a game like Destiny is the prime reason why. Developers create this insane amount of hype for their games and when it finally releases, no game could ever meet the hype they create. Also I just wasn't sold by the whole idea of Destiny, unless I am missing something it seems to lack depth and from what I have seen and read the story is horrendous at best... Destiny rant over :)

I've come full circle on Destiny.  LOVED Alpha/Beta (which was only a limited vertical slice of the game), was completely turned off at the lack of a compelling single player story, and now I'm a really enjoying it.  There's a reason why the marketing push for Destiny was to bill it as a console FPS MMO, of sorts.  Now, we can debate whether it falls short as an MMO considering it's lack of player interaction, but MMO accurately describes it's intent in progression.  Most folks know what to expect with an MMO - mostly end game grinding/farming for the best PvE/PvP gear.  

I will say that the pacing in Destiny is off.  The first 20 levels (I'm lumping the campaign in here, too) serve only to introduce game mechanics, enemy behaviors, etc. and expose you to a sampling of PvE and PvP content.  Yes, your accumulated gear at level 20 is trash, but the time spent with the game to that point learning what part(s) of its content you enjoy most is CRITICAL.  MMO's typically do a better job at making you feel like a badass incrementally moreso than Destiny does.  In Destiny's defense, the trade-off is that it's not the equivalent of a full-time job to reach max level, so it's end game content is much more accessible.  I remember dropping countless hours in Aion before leveling to the point I could even venture into the Abyss, it's end game PvP content.  And I was still under-geared when I got there.

Destiny is designed to get you where you want to go - equip legendary/exotic gear, complete high level strikes, run Raids, get PvP god gear - in any way you choose to do it. There are more than enough types of content for you to reach your goal, some may not be fun for you and others may be.  "Become a legend", but I guess it's easier to become a complainer.