Bungie: "Destiny Is a Different Game After 20 Hours"

kidhero99

How many hours have you put into Destiny since it launched? If it's more than 20, you should be playing a very different game than the one you started, according to Bungie.

"Twenty hours in, I think that players will find that they’ve evolved to playing a whole different kind of game than the shooter that started them off,” Bungie Executive Producer Patrick O’Kelley said in an interview posted to Xbox Wire. “They’ll find that they’re immersed in a different world, and are deep into the history of their characters. They’ll have built a community of other players. And, without realizing it, they’ll have learned some sophisticated mechanics that enable them to gear up and dive into a six-player cooperative raid, in pursuit of high-level exotic weapons and armor.”

At our fairly quick pace, spending very little time on the extra Vanguard and Strike Quests, getting through Destiny's main story took just over 16 hours to complete, which left our Guardian at level 16. However, we didn't do any Bounties, which can accelerate the leveling progress.

And there's still plenty to do in the game, like finding hidden raids, competitive multiplayer, and leveling up other characters, so if you like the game, it's easy to reach 20 hours even if you rush through the story.

Selected comments:

Well, if you eat your own turd for 20 hours running, you probably might like it too.

No sane person will, however.

I
n my opinion, Destiny starts off rough because there's very little loot (a major component of the game) and the abilities you unlock (grenades and double jump) are incredibly generic. It feels like a straight-up shooter for the first couple of levels, which is fine, but a little disappointing to those expecting more. However, it definitely gets better as you continue to play because you start to unlock more powerful weapons and unique abilities.

Does it live up to the hype? No, I don't think so. The story is terrible, the inability to skip cutscenes you've seen a hundred times is annoying, and all of the untapped potential will frustrate you. Having said all that, it's still a very fun game, and I'm having a blast playing it with friends. I think if you go in with your expectations in-check (i.e. forget the hype), you'll have a good time with Destiny.

If you're using the FF13 defense, you've already lost.

• Like 1

I really liked the game, the first FPS in years that I actually find it entertaining.

Apart from Borderlands and Bioshock no other FPS game I enjoyed this much, people need to find something else to do, before starting unacessary bashing against a game or much worse against a company that put so much work on it, if you don't like, sell it.

• Like 2

This is the standard for MMO type games though, usually end-game is when the game begins for most.  FFXIV is a very different game now that I'm in end-game.

People said Destiny is "online-persistent" not mmo, do you know which one it is? People are joining both terms together and it's weird.

Anyway, it's a decent game but too much stuff have throwbacks to halo but that's cool.

People said Destiny is "online-persistent" not mmo, do you know which one it is? People are joining both terms together and it's weird.

Anyway, it's a decent game but too much stuff have throwbacks to halo but that's cool.

Nope, not sure as I haven't played yet, but it was hyped up to be like a MMO, maybe it's acting a bit like one with the end-game being where it shines.

This game taking my life anyway i love it so much and yes 20 hours it shows its true colours and i know its just playing the same shit again again and again but isn't all video games that 

No it isn't, this bit of a false dichotomy. The difference between a repetitive and non repetitive video game is the repetitive one is just literally the same situations over and over, a non repetitive one invites you to use the skills and mechanics you acquired to bypass different challenges, obstacles, levels, you name it.

• Like 2

I guess I'm kind of glad I missed out on this game then. I don't always expect to be blown away as soon as I start a game, but when I'm told "Just wait until 20 hours in" "Wait until Mission 15 near the end of the game" it gives off a bad vibe that I'm supposed to wade through boring parts and grinding and just hope the game gets better. And if I do get there, what if it really wasn't worth it? I would rather not go through all that only to be left unsatisfied in the end.

Did you guys even read the article? No where does it say it takes 20 hours to get into the game or for it to get good, it says in 20 hours the game will be much different than when you first started playing. The game is good when you first start playing, it gets even better when you have good gear and more missions available. 

Parker

I thought the point in a game was to be enjoyable as a form of entertainment. How does up to 16 hours of "meh" if you even make it that long through the boredom fit that bill? I think Bungie slipped up somewhere in the ideas department here. It's like watching a film for it to only get good or entertaining at the end, who's gonna sit through that?

Also, I'm fully aware THEY said it changes and is always good yadda yadda but of course THEY will say that, they're trying to sell a game, if THEY admit it's 16 hours of "meh", no one will buy it. I'm basing my comment on the comments that were quoted here, from members of the general gaming community who played it.

Edited by kamifox1
  • Like 1

I'm basing my comment on the comments that were quoted here, from members of the general gaming community who played it.

To me it doesn't seem like you are doing that. I can't find a comment on this thread from someone who has said they played it that has also said they didn't like it. The ones who have said similar things to you have said they haven't played it yet, where as 2 people who have said they played it also said they were really enjoying it.

I thought the point in a game was to be enjoyable as a form of entertainment. How does up to 16 hours of "meh" if you even make it that long through the boredom fit that bill? I think Bungie slipped up somewhere in the ideas department here. It's like watching a film for it to only get good or entertaining at the end, who's gonna sit through that?

Also, I'm fully aware THEY said it changes and is always good yadda yadda but of course THEY will say that, they're trying to sell a game, if THEY admit it's 16 hours of "meh", no one will buy it. I'm basing my comment on the comments that were quoted here, from members of the general gaming community who played it.

THEY (I'm assuming you're talking about Bungie) didn't say the game is 16 hours of meh, they said you'll be playing a different game 16 hours in compared to when you first started. I'd say most games with RPG elements could make a similar statement. 

Also, why are you basing your comment only on the negative comments about the game? There has been a lot of positive things said about the game as well, you seem to ignore those though.

Parker

• Like 2

I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone.  Even though Bungie came out and explicitly said Destiny isn't an MMO, it's basically an MMO on a much smaller scale.  Much like in MMOs, the game doesn't really "start" until you hit max level.  That's when you can start tackling stuff like raids and PvP (which I know are available prior to max in Destiny).

The point is that games like this tend to really blossom during end-game.  I'm not saying Destiny will (I haven't played it yet), but based on what I've heard of it so far, it's likely to be very end-game centric.

It's not different 20 hours later and it's barely different post level 20. Only difference is grinding Patrol Missions because it's the most efficient way to get Rep. This game is devoid of content. 1 raid isn't going to change it at all because it's just going to be the same bullet sponge bosses except even worse.

PvP is even worse. Now everyone knows how broken max Speed Auto Rifles and Bladedancers are.

No content. No balance. Just grind.

Edited by Yadilie

49hrs played since friday... cant wait to log in again after dinner and grind some engrams and play till 2am for the new content. Havent even really level the 2 other classess -_- or did much PVP.

cnJmeBN.png

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

I've actually decided again that I am having a lot of fun with this game; very addictive going for the legendary gear and playing MP, strikes and (soon) raids with friends.

The only thing is that until they add more content, I'm kind of left waiting for a new week's worth of being able to get more vanguard/crucible marks and a weekly strike... that way I can get closer to my legendaries and feel like I'm making more progress :P

I've spent close to 1/3 of my time in the PvP and have loved it. Awesome using the Hunter class too haha.

The hate train can only have so much steam, powered by tears of expectations not met, dreams of a 'perfect game' not delivered.

This has to be the most over-hyped and undelivered game i've ever seen. The story is non-existent, it's this spark rip-off from Halo with generic voice acting talking the whole story to you! Wow what a cop-out of a story when it was being touted as the most amazing thing about the game. I can't think of a worse story, i've seen better story in Cave shmups by a long shot.

Also replaying the same handful of story missions the whole bloody time is a real let down in content. This playing a different game after 20 hours rubbish has to be worse than the original bullcrap they spouted because not only am I playing the same game I was 20 horus ago but it's getting very repetitive and boring.

I love the enemies, the graphics and the actual gameplay mechanics but the rest of the game is quite a let down....but I am having fun when playing with mates with approx 20 hours playtime and I did only pay $65 for it brand new so I have gotten my money's worth. Just really hanging for new content, raids etc. Strikes and story are gettig a little bit boring and all the untapped potential is driving me nuts. Huge lifeless worlds and vehicles that are just begging for depth (like Halo games). I honestly think Bungie would've been better off making a Halo MMO but I can understand licensing issues with the Halo brand etc if you wanna go multi-play.

•  
  • New game+
  • The tower with interesting NPCs, that give missions and dialogs to learn the lore.
  • Interesting exploration, give a reason to go places intestead of just walking around to grind things. Good Examples are the Scan mode that Metroid Prime have. Or premade missions in every part of the map that is non random generated and it help you to understand what's going on.

•  

I've seen so many people come up with defense "Keep playing it! After about 25-30 hours, it gets good! The game doesn't deserve the hate it's getting!"

Sorry, but if it takes 25-30 hours for a game to become enjoyable/engage you, then it is not good gameplay design. But More of an indication of gameplay design failure.

I think Bungie meant that after 20 hours you swap the game disc out for a game you'd actually enjoy. 

Plus, I've heard it's even worse considering the enemies become even bigger sponges.

The popularity of this game is going to plummet. It is going to be a wasteland in a couple of months more so once new content rolls out in 2015. It might have made Activision a lot of money now, but its longevity looks really bleak.

"Oh god, please stop trading our boring game into Gamestop, it gets good after 20 hours, we promise...."

The PS4 version already dropped to $51.59 on Amazon so soon? Not a good sign
  • Like 1