Proteus: If You're Thinking Of Playing It, I'd Advise Not To

damon8r351

I played it for a while last month and personally i couldn't stand the graphics. I don't really care too much about graphics but jeez it looks just awful.

If the gameplay is as non existent as you say it is im glad i never finished it!

Edited by Sir_Palkia
  • Like 1

I believe it is just a small game to play a bit, maybe one time just to watch it, and then delete it. We got it for free, don't hate it so much. I agree with your points, and i agree when people say than the real problem is to get 100%, as it get boring fast; but i think you should just give a quick shot to an easy and free game that we all got in ps plus

Then yes, delete it, as you will never want to play it again after the first 10 minutes

Edited by sora__11
  • Like 2

I quickly found out that myself and found it to be a boring experience, until I started to go around the island and find the graveyard, the mountains, and then I just forgot about trophies existing until my brother bugged me to let him play. Put your time down and enjoy the game for what it is. It is why the game exists in the first place.

That's where I disagree with you. I know what the intended "point" the developers were going for, which was to explore but when you do, nothing happens. So I go to find the cabin, the graveyard, the towers, etc, then what? You visit these places, nothing happens. In the fall time, you might get some flashing lights, but that's it. Other than that, you just walk around. Every game has to have an objective other than to just exist in its world. Flower's was to bloom all the flowers, for instance. One of the complaints by some reviewers was just that: since it doesn't have any objective and no challenges to it, it shouldn't even be considered a game. I'm just putting this out there: if you enjoy a game to just do nothing, then Proteus is for you, enjoy it. If not, then this game is not for you and that's the purpose of this, to let people know to avoid this game if you don't.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 2

Every game has to have an objective other than to just exist in its world. Flower's was to bloom all the flowers, for instance.

So... if the game had you pick things up, and once you picked everything up, the game had a clearly defined ending, just like Flower... that would add some sort of value to the game for you?

Look, I understand the game isn't for everyone, but being disappointed that you "went somewhere" and "nothing happened" means you aren't playing it right.  It's not about what happens when you find something, it's about enjoying finding it.  And I realize the pretentious drivel I'm spewing right now, and I hate myself for it.  I wouldn't spend more than 20 minutes on a game like this... but you clearly don't get the "developers intended point" like you claim to.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

So... if the game had you pick things up, and once you picked everything up, the game had a clearly defined ending, just like Flower... that would add some sort of value to the game for you?

Look, I understand the game isn't for everyone, but being disappointed that you "went somewhere" and "nothing happened" means you aren't playing it right.

Why you fighting me on this? I just said, if you like to play a game to do nothing, then enjoy Proteus. If not, don't play it, which is the whole point of this. I happen to enjoy games with a point, even if it's something as simple as picking up flowers. But even I have my limits.

• Like 3

Why you fighting me on this? I just said, if you like to play a game to do nothing, then enjoy Proteus. If not, don't play it, which is the whole point of this. I happen to enjoy games with a point, even if it's something as simple as picking up flowers. But even I have my limits.

Because I think you're a douchebag (like so many other kids gaming these days) who is so self-important that you couldn't resist making a special topic devoted to preaching your opinion.  You aren't interested in "helping" others, or discussing the game, you just feel rooked into "fixing" your trophy profile because of this game and you wanted a soapbox to bitch on.

Also, because you don't "do nothing" in Proteus.  It's a game about exploring.  it's not about "something happening" when you find whatever you find... it's about enjoying the sights and sounds while finding it.  If you don't get that or like it, then by all means, get your 100% and never touch the game again.  Until then, quit spouting your nonsense on a public forum.  Start a blog.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

That's where I disagree with you. I know what the intended "point" the developers were going for, which was to explore but when you do, nothing happens. So I go to find the cabin, the graveyard, the towers, etc, then what? You visit these places, nothing happens. In the fall time, you might get some flashing lights, but that's it. Other than that, you just walk around. Every game has to have an objective other than to just exist in its world. Flower's was to bloom all the flowers, for instance. One of the complaints by some reviewers was just that: since it doesn't have any objective and no challenges to it, it shouldn't even be considered a game. I'm just putting this out there: if you enjoy a game to just do nothing, then Proteus is for you, enjoy it. If not, then this game is not for you and that's the purpose of this, to let people know to avoid this game if you don't.

And I disagree with you there.

Alot of things happens when you explore and find these places. Like I said, you have to find what's good in the game yourself. And there aren't supposed to be any challenges; it is a relaxing and warming experience (if you do what I did in my first post's second paragraph). And you don't do nothing in this game. You explore it. And that is the point of it. (Like I said before)

Edited by TheLastSurvivorD
  • Like 2

Because I think you're a douchebag (like so many other kids gaming these days) who is so self-important that you couldn't resist making a special topic devoted to your opinion.  You aren't interested in "helping" others, or discussing the game, you just feel rooked into "fixing" your trophy profile because of this game and you wanted a soapbox to bitch on.

Also, because you don't "do nothing" in Proteus.  It's a game about exploring.  it's not about "something happening" when you find whatever you find... it's about enjoying the sights and sounds while finding it.  If you don't get that or like it, then by all means, get your 100% and never touch the game again.  Until then, quit spouting your nonsense on a public forum.  Start a blog.

I might be inclined to agree with your opinion that I'm a self-important douchebag on a soapbox, but for one problem: There's people who agree with what I said Proteus and have appreciated the heads up, and what's more, I'm not the first one to even have the same opinion about it. So be careful about that hypertension, you don't want to have a heart attack over a game before you're 30.

• Like 2

Alot of things happens when you explore and find these places. Like I said, you have to find what's good in the game yourself. And there aren't supposed to be any challenges; it is a relaxing and warming experience (if you do what I did in my first post's second paragraph). And you don't do nothing in this game. You explore it. And that is the point of it. (Like I said before)

Yeah, despite what others think, I do appreciate the fact that there's different opinions on this game. If that sort of thing is for you, then great. It's not for me though, I have to have a goal to work for.

• Like 1

I might be inclined to agree with your opinion that I'm a self-important douchebag on a soapbox, but for one problem: There's people who agree with what I said Proteus and have appreciated the heads up, and what's more, I'm not the first one to even have the same opinion about it. So be careful about that hypertension, you don't want to have a heart attack over a game before you're 30.

Believe me, if a couple of swear words and harmless insults means I'm close to an aneurysm, then we're all fucked.

Being a PC gamer, a Steam user and a fan of new games... I've read more "DON'T BUY THIS" threads slinging baseless opinionated nonsense at me than I care to admit.  You kids are all the same.  Keep in mind, that no one here had agreed with you yet when you decided to start preaching.  You did that for you, because you wanted to vent about the game and your shitty profile.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you guys there.

Proteus is *not* mean't to be completed. It is supposed to be explored. You guys are playing it just to complete it and get all the trophies. Yes, there is no real objective but to go to the circle of stones and progress through the seasons, but how this game is unique is their is no objective. You are supposed to explore and find out what is good about the game yourself.

I quickly found out that myself and found it to be a boring experience, until I started to go around the island and find the graveyard, the mountains, and then I just forgot about trophies existing until my brother bugged me to let him play. Put your time down and enjoy the game for what it is. It is why the game exists in the first place.

i agree its meant for exploring but godddd i rather jump a cliff than explore the plain island with terrible sleepy 8bit graphics....

I respect the fact that people have differing opinions about a game, you can continue to embarrass yourself with that attitude.

You respect peoples differing opinions so much that you tell them to not even give games a try?  Because of your opinion of it?  Yeah, no... I don't see it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1