Project Cars delayed to 2015

Saltyie

Bandai Namco, Project Cars distributor has confirmed that the upcoming racing game has been delayed until 20th Match 2015.

"Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience,"

"Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We're eager for you all to see what we've been working on in just a few months."

- Slightly Mad Studios' boss Ian Bell

Thoughts? I know a few PSNPers that will be pretty pissed at this announcement.

Edited by Saltyie

I can sort of understand this delay. November 18th was clusterfucked with releases:

-Grand Theft Auto V

-LittleBigPlanet 3

-Far Cry 4

-Dragon Age Inquisition

-Escape Dead Island

-WWE 2K15

If I was in charge, I too wouldn't want my game released on the same day as all of these.

• Like 2

How about release the game on time and then patch it whilst working on enhancements for Project Cars 2?

I don't think I've seen SO many delays in game titles. I'm not looking for perfection. I've waited AGES for Driveclub and it still isn't fully operational - but I don't care. I finally have a racing game. Do devs not realise how much of a market they could capitalise on? Hell I'm pissed Codemasters couldn't be fecked with releasing F1 2014 on new gen - I won't be buying it on old gen. It's not worth my time. And F1 games are dead certs for me.

I would understand if games couldn't be patched or in old days where they were in cartridges. I don't want a game with lots of social interaction and 'take a photo of this' or 'beat your friends drift score'. NO - I just want to race!

Rant over :)

• Like 1

AH FOR FUCK SAKE! I am actually raging at this right now, the only game left I was really anticipating this year and it gets delayed like the rest. 

Well I think this really does seal 2014 as the year of delays, worst year of gaming this millennium? I'd say so.

AH FOR FUCK SAKE! I am actually raging at this right now, the only game left I was really anticipating this year and it gets delayed like the rest. 

Well I think this really does seal 2014 as the year of delays, worst year of gaming this millennium? I'd say so.

No, worst year for racing games? Maybe, only Forza and Driveclub released on current gen.  Worst year for games? Definitely not.

• Like 1

No, worst year for racing games? Maybe, only Forza and Driveclub released on current gen.  Worst year for games? Definitely not.

What amazing titles have been released this year? Most of the highly anticipated releases have been underwheling (a la Destiny), that and add the numerous delays, the overflow of remakes and rehashes, what year has been worse? 

• Like 1

What amazing titles have been released this year? Most of the highly anticipated releases have been underwheling (a la Destiny), that and add the numerous delays, the overflow of remakes and rehashes, what year has been worse? 

1983. If that doesn't count, 2005 and 2012. 

We have gotten many decent-great games this year (Wolfenstein, Infamous 2nd Son, Thief, Destiny, Watch_dogs, the walking dead S2 and The Wolf Among Us, Driveclub, Bound By Flame, The Evil Within, Shadow Of Mordor, and Alien: Isolation), and we've still got many to come this year, including

Lords of the Fallen

CoD Advanced Warfare

Assassin's Creed Unity

Far Cry 4

Dragon Age Inquisition

LittleBigPlanet3

The Crew

The Legend of Korra

Shadow Warrior

That's not even mentioning the 100s of Indie titles, the remasters/remakes released in the past year. Games like Destiny and Watch Dogs may have not been 10/10 perfect experiences, but they were still good.

God dammit.

On one hand I'm pretty damn disappointed because I've dropped quite a bit of money on my T300 RS wheel and wheel stand, but on the other hand I'd rather SMS delay the game and provide the experience they want rather than release and patch later. 

Oh well, there are plenty of other fantastic games coming out this year so I suppose I can wait a few extra months. Now I just need to schedule my first vacation next year for the end of March... 

Parker

• Like 1

Sucks for the racing game fans. I'm not too big into these games myself, but games getting delayed these days are going abit too far. Why cant they announce the release date when they are sure the product is going to be ready...

I'm not sure if this is how it actually is, but my guesstimate would be the publisher rather than the developer is the one that sets a release date and the developer is expected to be able to meet it. If they can't, we see delays like this where there was only a month until the release date. I could be completely wrong though. 

Parker

How about release the game on time and then patch it whilst working on enhancements for Project Cars 2?

I don't think I've seen SO many delays in game titles. I'm not looking for perfection. I've waited AGES for Driveclub and it still isn't fully operational - but I don't care. I finally have a racing game. Do devs not realise how much of a market they could capitalise on? Hell I'm pissed Codemasters couldn't be fecked with releasing F1 2014 on new gen - I won't be buying it on old gen. It's not worth my time. And F1 games are dead certs for me.

I would understand if games couldn't be patched or in old days where they were in cartridges. I don't want a game with lots of social interaction and 'take a photo of this' or 'beat your friends drift score'. NO - I just want to race!

Rant over :)

This doesn't make sense to me at all. Just because a developer can patch a game doesn't mean they should release a game that isn't working properly that needs a patch just to meet a deadline. A lot of people want a fully functioning game when they buy it not a work in progress dood.

Heres a significant quote that was left out of the original post. It provides a little more clarity into the situation.

"This delay has come about because a couple of other big games have announced they are shipping around the same time as our planned first date,

We know it might be a little hard to believe but this would have had a very significant impact on our initial sales"

While I'm not happy about the decision...I understand it and apprecicate the honestly.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-delay-to-march-2015-confirmed/1100-6423015/

Edited by MrManBuz
  • Like 1

Heres a significant quote that was left out of the original post. It provides a little more clarity into the situation.

"This delay has come about because a couple of other big games have announced they are shipping around the same time as our planned first date,

We know it might be a little hard to believe but this would have had a very significant impact on our initial sales"

Sorry about that, I just used the official statement :P 

No doubt it would have had an effect on the sales, but it seems like a decision from the publisher, not the devs. The game was probably nearly done, hopefully they'll take this opportunity to add content to what sounded like an already content filled game.

Sorry about that, I just used the official statement :P

No doubt it would have had an effect on the sales, but it seems like a decision from the publisher, not the devs. The game was probably nearly done, hopefully they'll take this opportunity to add content to what sounded like an already content filled game.

Well it was fully funded (Or at least mostly) by the themselves and the community so they need to maximise the sales they can for this at all costs (as does every game but this one doesn't have a big publisher to dig them out of a hole should it flop)

SMS want to make a franchise out of it so it's crucial they get as much as they can from the first one, I just hope they use the extra time to perfect it not like some other racing games I know that had a big delay... <_<

I can sort of understand this delay. November 18th was clusterfucked with releases:

-Grand Theft Auto V

-LittleBigPlanet 3

-Far Cry 4

-Dragon Age Inquisition

-Escape Dead Island

-WWE 2K15

If I was in charge, I too wouldn't want my game released on the same day as all of these.

I'm 99% surer the delay was because of this.... if you have a choice of selling a game in March with maybe 1 other game in the month, or the busiest month of the year with all the AAA action games. I think you would pick March, pretty sure this was purely for that reason. 

Reminds me of the Batman delay a bit, they knew it was coming but they delay at the last moment. 

I'm 99% surer the delay was because of this.... if you have a choice of selling a game in March with maybe 1 other game in the month, or the busiest month of the year with all the AAA action games. I think you would pick March, pretty sure this was purely for that reason. 

Reminds me of the Batman delay a bit, they knew it was coming but they delay at the last moment. 

It was that combined with the fact that SMS needs more time to polish the game and from what I've read on the WMD forums it is equal parts of both too. 

Parker