The MMA Discussion thread

SuffyZorugelion

4 hours ago, Troz said:

I've seen almost every Jon Jones fight by now and he's my favorite out of anybody.

Did you watch the one where he beat his wife to pulp? That was a great one. I also love the one where he did a hit and run on a pregnant woman, definitely one of his most exiting moments. The one where he got suspended for taking steroids at least twice in this career was a nice one. Or when he got caught by police driving under influence and firing an unlicensed gun. God truly gives Jon Jones his hardest battles.

Behavior issues aside, Jones is one of the best, if not, the best P4P fighter of all time.  His streak rivals Fedor, and he's beaten a who's who of mma.  He's really undefeated not counting that bs Hamil DQ.  He handled Cormier if a fight I thought he was gonna lose bad.  I thought he lost a razor thin decision against Reyes, and he didn't look too good, so I'm really not sure about this fight.  He's been powerlifiting and putting on weight, which isn't exactly the best thing for fighting either.  But this is the 1st UFC in awhile that I really want to see.  I think he'll gas, and I'm picking Gange in a decision, but not confident in the pick.

17 hours ago, Troz said:

Have fun dude.  Hope it's a blast.  1st UFC I went to was 28 in Atlantic City.  Ticket was $25  lol  It's pretty much when everyone though Randleman was gonna kill Couture, but Couture put him on his ass and dominated him.  Cool thing about back then was since the sport was still very young, the fighters used to come out and hang out in the crowd and talk to people / sign shit early on.  Got to meet Tito Ortiz, Randleman, and Mark Coleman at that show.  All very cool and appreciative of the fans.  People were saying Tank Abbot was there too, but didn't see or get to talk to him.  I think Randleman (RIP) was one of the few human beings I remember being scared of just bullshitting in a group of guys with.  lol

9 minutes ago, kinnyman said:

I think he'll gas

I really can't imagine Jones gassing out. Watch the Reyes fight again. While he lost that one on my scorecards, he was still going for strong takedowns in the later rounds, he still chain wrestled without being remotely gassed. More weight will likely impact his cardio, but I honestly don't see him gassing out.

The real question is, (how much) will Jones wrestle. He doesn't like to do it, but Gane would have almost no answer to it. If they stick to mostly kickboxing, Gane has a good chance of winning. It's definitely one of the fights I'm looking forward to more than most others in recent history.

The return of the GOAT, didn't think JJ was ever gonna come back with how long he's been off. 285 is stacked though overall though, what are you guy's pick for the main event?

My Picks

Jones via dec.

Shevchenko via sub in the championship rounds

Rakhmonov via KO 2nd round

Gamrot via dec.

Nickal via Sub 2nd round

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

The real question is, (how much) will Jones wrestle. He doesn't like to do it, but Gane would have almost no answer to it.

Say what you will about the person Jon Jones, but you can't deny that the fighter Jon Jones has to be considered one of the alltime GOATs of MMA, if not the GOAT period.

Shevchenko missed the spinning kick so often, I was surprised she threw it again, and of course it was only a matter of time until she had to pay for it. Bummer.

• Like 1

Crazy sub heavy main event, I went 4-1 with my picks and it would've been 5-0 but I seconded guessed myself with Grasso! Some of the methods I chose were a round or 2 off but I was pretty accurate with my picks this time around, should've bet some money on this card lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Holly Holm is 42 years old and still got it. Can't wait to see her work up her way to a title shot, just to lose again. Always the same with this girl.

The judging in the main event was once again a joke. You couldn't score the fight 50-43 for Sandhagen, but even if you did, you wouldn't look as unfamiliar with the rules as someone giving it 48-47 for Chito.

Edited by Infernopommes

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

The more I see of Izzy's interviews, the more I foresee a horrifying KO by Alex. :/

Agree'd, there's no way Alex doesn't own a penthouse suit in a corner of Izzy's head after how the last 3 fights have played out. I was kinda funny seeing Izzy him walking around in the "Danny the Dog" dog collar during the presser though and the MMA crowd being to young to get it's a reference to an older Jet Li movie called "Unleashed." Everyone's thinking Izzy's gone off the deep end wearing that shit haha. Great movie though just really a really corny attempt on Izzy's part trying to incorporate the gimmick into his persona leading up to fight week, he feels like a dog that's been backed into a corner and has to "Unleash." ?

Yeah, the real crime is that he bases it on Unleashed and not using it as a reference to Broly.

He will get walked like a dog, I'm fairly certain. I mean I hope he wins, but I only see this fight ending in a KO by Alex. Possibly within two rounds.

Edited by Infernopommes
  • Like 1

Well, at least I was right about the fight ending with a KO within two rounds. ? You could tell by the celebration how much Alex was in his head, but gotta give it to him, that was a great comeback. When the knee landed, I thought that was it. I'm not sure yet if I buy the "I was playing possum" narrative, but Alex 100% let his guard down and was too sure of winning.

Edited by Infernopommes
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Last minute picks for 288, Prelims were pretty good so we'll see if the main card lives up to the hype.

Cejudo - Tko 3rd round (My brain is saying Aljo but my heart is with Triple C)

Burns - Dec.

Andrade - Tko 2nd

Evloev - Dec.

Gracie - Sub 2nd

2 hours ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

Last minute picks for 288, Prelims were pretty good so we'll see if the main card lives up to the hype.

Cejudo - Tko 3rd round (My brain is saying Aljo but my heart is with Triple C)

Burns - Dec.

Andrade - Tko 2nd

Evloev - Dec.

Gracie - Sub 2nd

You’re really killing it with these picks so far. 

Edited by TheLakota
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheLakota said:

You’re really killing it with these picks so far. 

That didn't age well. :D

But all jokes aside, I don't think anyone predicted that the main event would end how it did. I had it 3-2 Aljo. Cejudo in his prime would have been a completely different story though. Ringrust is real.

The Andrade fight was wild as always. I didn't rewatch it, but in that moment, I felt it was an early stoppage. But I acknowledge that it could have gotten worse shortly after if not stopped there, so maybe not.

Burns looked way off. I don't know if it really was that shoulder issue from the first takedown, or if something else was going on (on top of it).

EDIT: Just watched the Gracie fight. If he didn't have two breaks, he would have been exhausted way sooner. And he is seriously advocating for removing breaks ... His last fight made a lot of people a lot of money, because for some reason the bookies got him as the favourite, but it was very obvious that he would lose. Not sure why he made a comeback after all this time, didn't look improved in any way. He might be the worst Gracie ever.

EDIT2: I just saw the scorecards for the main event. Derek Cleary needs to be investigated man, this is not the first time he scores horribly wrong. Fifth round for Aljo is insane.

Edited by Infernopommes
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
30 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Welcome to the Suga Show

spacer.png

That was such a picture perfect counter right he caught Aljo with, was shades of Aldo/Mac at 194. People love to hate on O'Malley, but dude is a fuck'n problem on the feet for anyone at 135.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

People love to hate on O'Malley, but dude is a fuck'n problem on the feet for anyone at 135.

Aljo's only chance was on the ground. I'm not really a fan of O'Malley, but he fought his fight and ended it like the champion he is.

In other news, Zhang Weili is a monster, Moroz got got, the TUF fights were actually entertaining, Chito is a king, and Weidman & Neil Magny need to retire them busted legs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Infernopommes said:

Let's not pretend that they won't shield him from Umar and Merab though.

Oh they probably will lol. I hope he rematches Vera next at the end of the year, then in the mean time Merab fights Umar for next up at the belt after. We'll see though, man can dream. Bantamweight is soo stacked.