The MMA Discussion thread

SuffyZorugelion

8 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Can't wait until Shevchenko reclaims her title from Grasso.

Ehhhh, probably. Grasso deserves her time in the spotlight for sure, but I'm sure we'll have a new belt-holder by the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 1:51 AM, Infected Elite said:

Can't wait until Shevchenko reclaims her title from Grasso.

Can’t believe that’s on a fight night and not the co-main of 294

On 9/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, PooPooBlast said:

It feels so surreal. Never in a million years did I think Sean would win let alone dominate by decision. Mind blown. Well-deserved to Sean. He had that dog in him. 

I thought it would be a difficult fight for Izzy cause Sean has pretty good defence never thought Sean would be the one to cut off the cage and push forward 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't get me wrong, Islam would have undoubtedly won regardless after that headkick, but how in the world are these hammerfists to the back of the head right in front of the ref okay? Shouldn't that be a reason for an official timeout? Is it a Goddard thing specifically? Similar, yet not same situation like Burns vs Thompson.

In general, I feel like strikes to the back of the head at most get a warning, but that's it.

To be clear, I'm not familiar with how strikes to the back of the head should be punished according to the rules. From what I understand, they are a foul, and should be treated like an eyepoke for example. And again, Islam would have easily won also if he had followed that headkick with legal ground and pound, I'm not disputing the win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UFC 300 card looks very disappointing. It's a decent card for a regular PPV but not a mega card you would expect from 300. Just shows how terrible UFC has become in recent years. The main event is yet to be announced but realistically, there are barely any good options - UFC has no superstars left.  Gaethje Holloway is really exciting though but that's it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

UFC 300 card looks very disappointing. It's a decent card for a regular PPV but not a mega card you would expect from 300. Just shows how terrible UFC has become in recent years. The main event is yet to be announced but realistically, there are barely any good options - UFC has no superstars left.  Gaethje Holloway is really exciting though but that's it.

See I am baffled at people saying this. I mean Gaethje vs Max for the fake belt is good. Then on top we have a really good women's title fight and hopefully another title fight to come.

Oliveira vs Arman, Figgy vs Cody and Jiri vs Rakic are also great fights. I am just praying they don't stick some silly crap like Conor vs Diaz in there to "jazz" it up as that would destroy it.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

What a terrible night. Kopylov lost, Cejudo lost, Ian Garry won, and Volkanovski got murdered.

No real surprise there tbh. Kopylov is not overrated, but Hernandez is (was?) very underrated.

The only shocking thing about Cejudo loss is how easy Merab made look round 2 and 3. Imagine ragdolling an Olympic gold medallist and carrying him across the cage. 😰

Volk came back way too early after being knocked out. Hope the UFC doesn't give him the immediate rematch (let Ilia defend once, then a rematch can be done). Dude needs serious recovery time.

UFC 300 is beeing headlined by Jamahal Hill. No wonder it took them so long to announce the main event.

Dana made it sound like it will be Khabib vs McGregor 2 or Khabib vs GSP with all the remarks about how it will blow our mind ... but yeah, just buying time until they found a main event I guess. 😒

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 6:41 PM, Silver-I-Chariot said:

What a terrible night. Kopylov lost, Cejudo lost, Ian Garry won, and Volkanovski got murdered. It couldn't get any worse than this. To top it off, UFC 300 is beeing headlined by Jamahal Hill. No wonder it took them so long to announce the main event.

I felt for Kopylov, his striking was leading the dance and I am fairly sure he slipped to end up on the ground. Garry winning, Cejudo losing both inevitable for me at this point and Volk I think unfortunately wasn't honest about the effect the Islam KO had on him.

As for 300 I actually love that main event. The 2 best LHW in the world for the belt, what more should we want as fans. People chuntering like we actually want Conor vs Diaz again or some gimmicky washed up crap yet they are complaining about the best in the world. Not one person has actually come up with an alternative just criticised instead.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:01 PM, Infernopommes said:

Dana made it sound like it will be Khabib vs McGregor 2 or Khabib vs GSP with all the remarks about how it will blow our mind ... but yeah, just buying time until they found a main event I guess. 😒

Why would we want Conor vs Khabib 2? That's a washed guy vs a retired one in a fight where the first was a demo job and would be again or your other choice is 2 retirees. We get the best vs the best currently and complain about it??