Insomniac Calls Out PlayStation For Ripping Off Sunset Overdrive Font

Lady Lilith

Somebody at Sony probably called somebody at Insomniac before making that jpeg and said something like "We wanna use that font for our next promotion. We cool?"

Just to be on the safe side.

Insomniac released the font for free, they even tweeted about it, so anyone can use it including other companies, I.E. Sony, hell even Nintendo can use it if they wanted to. 

When I read the title of this post I really thought Sony had announced a new game a-la sunset overdrive....was about to get sad at Sony but for real if insomniac is serious about this...all that fuss because of a font,oh damn...they're really going down.

I'm a big fan of Insomniac as well but honestly I'm not really interested in Sunset Overdrive. All the gameplay videos and trailers I've seen make it look like a stylistic but generic third person shooter and I have other things I'd rather play. When it hits the bargain bin it may find its way to my Xbone.

Parker

Parker, I advise you to wait or get a chance to play it first. I do admit it looks generic but I thought that about Blloodborne but I'm when I get to play it, I probably think it's the best thing ever. 

when they realize its not selling as well as they thought it was going to on the Xone, 2 will be on PS4, since Insomniac has full control of the IP, just like Titanfall. 

Too bad that is game has got gold pre-order status (I think 100,000 to 1,000,000 pre orders I think), anyway I don't think Insomniac going back to one based console games. I do hope that the IP thing is not real because if it is then Sony won't be getting future insomniac games. 

Edited by Bear

Parker, I advise you to wait or get a chance to play it first. I do admit it looks generic but I thought that about Blloodborne but I'm when I get to play it, I probably think it's the best thing ever. 

Too bad that is game has got gold pre-order status (I think 100,000 to 1,000,000 pre orders I think), anyway I don't think Insomniac going back to one based console games. I do hope that the IP thing is not real because if it is then Sony won't be getting future insomniac games. 

Oh, I can assure you I will play it before forming an opinion on it. I've got a buddy that buys just about every game that releases for consoles (that rich, lucky bastard) and he has already pre-ordered Sunset Overdrive. 

Parker

From what I understand it is Sony's fault for Insomniac taking the game over to Microsoft. Apparently, Insomniac pitched the IP to Sony and Sony liked it but they wanted rights to the IP. Insomniac said they wanted the rights, Sony said no so Insomniac went to Microsoft who allowed them to keep the rights. 

Whether that is 100% true or not, I suppose we'll never really know.

Parker

After the Crash Bandicoot fiasco It's hard not to understand why they would want to own an IP.

• Like 1

I dont think a game "got gold" means what you think it means.

In the Gaming community when we refer to a game that has "gone gold" means that the coding of the game has been shipped for processing to slap onto a disc. thats all. it doesnt mean 1,000,000 have been reached, you are probably confusing it with music, not games. 

I dont think a game "got gold" means what you think it means.

In the Gaming community when we refer to a game that has "gone gold" means that the coding of the game has been shipped for processing to slap onto a disc. thats all. it doesnt mean 1,000,000 have been reached, you are probably confusing it with music, not games. 

Yeah, I knew I mixed it up somewhere, thanks. Anyway there is still the issue of that Sony trying to own the ip thing.

Microsoft steals Tomb Raider from Sony, Sony steals Sunset Overdrive font from Microsoft lol.

But, in all seriousness, it's just weird. The font doesn't even fit the theme of the sale, so I'm confused as to why they used it. Unless it's just a friendly jab (which is likely is).

And both Sony's Sale and Insomniac get tons free advertising that they would normally have paid big bucks for! Let the fans spread the awareness as much as possible, just like is happening right here.

Everybody wins!

I agree, XBOX fanboys start flaming SONY and doing free advertisement of the sale. SONY fanboys flame Sunset Overdrive and people pay attention to the game. It's genius.