How do you feel about the current state of console gaming?

Dreakon13

Just a curious question because I'm bored and periodically poke my head into the console gaming world from time to time. Now that the next generation has had some time to sink in... how do you feel about the current state of console gaming?

Kind of a vague question, almost because I'm not entirely sure what kind of answer I'm looking for haha. I'm not trying to compare to mobile or PC gaming, but rather compared to the state of console gaming 5 years ago, 10 years ago? Is it as strong as ever? Do you think the next gen consoles will live up to the legacy of the PS3 or Xbox 360? Maybe for some people they already have. Maybe for some people they haven't yet but have the potential to. Maybe some people think the world didn't need a PS4 or Xbox One quite yet. What do you think?

Is console gaming on an upswing? A downswing? Status quo?

And feel free to remove this thread if there's too much potential for volatility, or if it's a topic that's already been beaten to death. Again, just bored and curious.

Edited by Dreakon13

I never had any experience with the next-gen consoles outside of the demos at Gamestop so I can't say for certain. From what I've seen though, it could be better. I was kind of hoping they would be a little more powerful, but then they would be more expensive, won't it? I'm more upset about the decisions some companies make and developers not delivering/lying. Some of you might know what I'm taking about.

Edited by CrimsonMars

Very happy here. Consoles are better and more powerful than they've ever been, online services are better than they've ever been and we have more developers making games that are arguably better than they've ever been.

Personally I feel like people who complain about the new generation while romanticizing the "retro" generations are looking through rose tinted glasses. As someone who owns most of the consoles that released in America, they had plenty of problems back then and there were more shitty games then than there are today. I think the rise of the internet has just made gaming seem much more negative now because millions of people can instantly express their hate or displeasure for a game or company instead of simply spreading it by word of mouth in the early nineties. 

Parker

• Like 2

Love console gaming, but Season passes and massive DLC and microtransactions are a cancer in the industry, it gives developers/publishers to withhold content and add it "later" as DLC, sadly due to gamers being really impulsive they keep supporting such business model and it will never go away. 

• Like 1

Love console gaming, but Season passes and massive DLC and microtransactions are a cancer in the industry, it gives developers/publishers to withhold content and add it "later" as DLC, sadly due to gamers being really impulsive they keep supporting such business model and it will never go away. 

Agreed. I didn't mind it so much in the very beginning but when the majority of AAA games came out with Season passes, or Season Passes AND DLC not included in it (ie Borderlands 2), it became rather anti-consumer. We don't even know what's going to bein these DLC packages and yet we are willing to shell over $20+ and save maybe $10? Not a fan.

As for the current state...the older generation holds more appeal to me at the moment, particularly with the continual releases of earlier generation titles in HD. Some are justified, FFX and Beyond Good and Evil are great examples. but did The Last of Us need a new port within a year of its original release? Meh...

Overall, the incredible range of indie and AAA titles keep things fresh but I worry for the future of console gaming if these two specific trends keep going. I'll still play although perhaps a bit less.

did The Last of Us need a new port within a year of its original release? Meh...

you have to understand the market for this one. after MS COLOSSAL Fuck up, not thousands of people, MILLIONS jumped the MS ship and came to PS, a huge majority of those players did not experience that amazing game, so there was a lot of potential sales, not to mention also the people that bought both, like myself, just an absolute amazing exp when you compare it 720 to 1080P and 30 to 60 FPS.

I dont know how many copies the game has sold, but it has to be one of the best selling on the console. 

If y'all don't like season passes, don't buy them.  It's better to send a message with your wallet.  Alternatively, you could just wait for the DLC to come out and THEN purchase the season pass if all of the DLC looks good to you.

As for HD remasters, they're a relatively low cost venture to 1) gauge interest in a potential sequel and 2) potentially monetize said sequel.  Again, vote with your wallet if you don't like HD remasters.

Edited by spencerisarobot

If y'all don't like season passes, don't buy them.  It's better to send a message with your wallet.  Alternatively, you could just wait for the DLC to come out and THEN purchase the season pass if all of the DLC looks good to you.

That is what I did for Bioshock Infinite. I don't get why you would buy a season pass before the DLC is released. I mean how do you know you are going to like the DLC that is being released.

I got Bioshock Infinite free with + and then decided to get all the DLC. So for 20$ I got the entire game.

• Like 1

That is what I did for Bioshock Infinite. I don't get why you would buy a season pass before the DLC is released. I mean how do you know you are going to like the DLC that is being released.

I got Bioshock Infinite free with + and then decided to get all the DLC. So for 20$ I got the entire game.

As for HD remasters, they're a relatively low cost venture to 1) gauge interest in a potential sequel and 2) potentially monetize said sequel.  Again, vote with your wallet if you don't like HD remasters.

Especially if you don't like shoe horned multiplayer that devs insist on putting into every other game.  How can you tell if the Season Pass will contain any single player DLC at all? Could just be all multiplayer maps or something.  Usually I wait on all Season Passes for that reason.  I mean, RE5 had two single player DLCs, did RE6 have any? Nope.  You can't tell what kind of DLC a game will have based on its prequel.

While i´m satisfied with the current generation of gaming, the industries have still some flaws, they need to get rid of:

1. completely remove online passes

2. no more pay to win options and/or microtransactions

3. no more DLC madness

4. change policy of digital content

For me, the fourth point is the most importent point, which has to be changed. While digital content is easier to handle and during special sales much cheaper then retail games, I still want to actually own the content i purchase and to be able to resell it, if i want to!

Edited by Killua-ID