Why CD Projekt Red is the best game company out there

movievet-dotcom

FREE DLC

http://www.(URL not allowed)/n2944/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-to-get-free-dlc.htm

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt To Get Free DLC CD Projekt Red rejects nickels and dimes

Written by osubluejacket today at 15:08

With games costing more and more to make, especially as we enter this new generation of consoles, developers and publishers often look to support the ever-narrowing bottom line with the sale of post-launch DLC. Some gamers love it, some hate it, but the business has been this way for years now and doesn't look to be changing soon...

...unless you're CD Projekt RED, developer of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

In an open letter on their website, Marcin Iwinski, co-founder and Joint CEO of CD Projekt Red, announced that their upcoming RPG will have 16 pieces of free DLC in the weeks after the game's launch. His open letter follows:

We love games. We love collecting them, playing them, and everything connected to that experience. Every time we reach out for a new release, we expect to be taken care of. We expect support if we encounter any problems, we love updates constantly improving the experience, and we feel really special when we receive free content that gives us more than we initially paid for. It doesn’t have to be huge, it can be an awesome skin for a character, or an extra sword, or armor.

Unfortunately this treatment is quite rare these days. As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?

As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free, regardless of platform. You don’t have to pre-order, you don’t have to buy any special edition to get them -- if you own a copy of Wild Hunt, they’re yours. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.
The only thing better than free DLC, is free DLC with no strings attached, right?

The first bit of DLC for the game is set to be released on February 25th (the day after the game's launch) and will include the Temerian Armor Set (WITH horse armor!) and a Beard/Hairstyle set for Geralt. After that, DLC bundles consisting of two bits of content will be released every week free of charge. The second bundle will contain an additional quest and an alternative look for Geralt's long-lost lover, Yennefer. 

011079.jpg

• Like 1

I dont want to be the negative one here, but this announced DLC looks like you would get by preordering the game... If they release new add-on content containing additional hours of gameplay then that would be something to actually praise.

Guerilla has been supporting Killzone Shadow Fall and giving away a lot of free maps, even if you didnt get the Season Pass. 

I dont want to be the negative one here, but this announced DLC looks like you would get by preordering the game... If they release new add-on content containing additional hours of gameplay then that would be something to actually praise.

Guerilla has been supporting Killzone Shadow Fall and giving away a lot of free maps, even if you didnt get the Season Pass. 

Yeah, I wanted to point this out too. So far all it looks like is free skins and a mission (usually those sort of things take only a few minutes to complete). I suppose free skins and a side mission is better than getting skins and side missions you have to pay for though.

• Like 1

If you are unfamiliar with CDProjekt Red, let me remind you that for both Witcher 1 and 2 they released, after a few months from the original release of the game, an Enhanced Edition (fixes and additional content, in witcher 2 they added a lot of stuff especially in the last chapter).

For anyone who already had the game, the additional content was downloadable for free for both games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(video_game)#Enhanced_Edition

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2:_Enhanced_Edition

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

As much as I appreciate the gesture on their end, developers do free DLC all the time.  In some cases, content even better than "alternate outfits" and "beard sets".

All of the pomp and circumstance behind this announcement leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I'd have a lot more respect if they silently went about their business and treated their loyal fans with cool free content, rather than what seems to be an obvious attempt to shamelessly self promote themselves and how "in tune with gamers" and "anti-corporate" they are... unsurprisingly playing up to their demographic, who happen to be violently (at times) outspoken against "big business" in the gaming industry... and will lap this up.

Edited by Dreakon13

As much as I appreciate the gesture on their end, developers do free DLC all the time.  In some cases, content even better than "alternate outfits" and "beard sets".

All of the pomp and circumstance behind this announcement leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I'd have a lot more respect if they silently went about their business and treated their loyal fans with cool free content, rather than what seems to be an obvious attempt to shamelessly self promote themselves and how "in tune with gamers" and "anti-corporate" they are... unsurprisingly playing up to their demographic, who happen to be violently (at times) outspoken against "big business" in the gaming industry... and will lap this up.

Read the post above yours, for starters.

Edited by movievet-dotcom

And why not?

They surely invested much more into Witcher 3 since they are releasing it for more than one platform and many Playstation and Xbox gamers don't know them.

A bit of a publicity stunt doesn't hurt nobody.

Announcing free DLC is great.  Getting some publicity out of it is by no means a bad thing.  They deserve it (and then some) for their efforts.

I just think their "we're not like those other companies" attitude, and their potential reasons for announcing it this way, cheapens the whole thing a bit.  At least from the perspective of them being the "best game company out there".

Edited by Dreakon13

God, negative this, negative that.

Look, the makers are gamers like us (from what I can see) that are speaking their minds about other companies and the BS they pull to consumers.

Give them a break.

Some of you remind me of people that just can't take a compliment from someone without spinning something negative about themselves. You sound like such Debbie downers.

Most companies haven't ever done what CD Projekt Red has done with their Witcher series from the first game to part 3, that much I know. So just be happy.

Have a snickers.

Cue someone responding with 

Ya but...

or

Well if someone doesn't say something...

Ya ya ya, whatever 

So?  They've done free updates before.  I'm familiar with The Witcher series.

That doesn't change the fact they've chosen to go the route of attention whoring this time around.

This isn't the first time they announced free updates, I saw it for the Witcher 2 as well. 

If people are free to gush over how amazing CD Projekt RED is for offering up some free DLC... something many "game companies" have done and will continue to do... then I think it's only fair that I'm free to comment on what a pompous, self-important way they went about announcing it.  No?

Look, the makers are gamers like us (from what I can see) that are speaking their minds about other companies and the BS they pull to consumers.

Give them a break.

If "speaking their minds" didn't directly correlate to "a chance to advertise" and "more sales", I probably would share your view on it.  Seems cheap this way though.

Edited by Dreakon13

Good god, in this day and age of season passes, retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses, and microtransactions people are really turning their noses up at CD Projekt Red because "they're doing it for the attention"?

Developers truly cannot win.

If people are free to gush over how amazing CD Projekt RED is for offering up some free DLC... something many "game companies" have done and will continue to do... then I think it's only fair that I'm free to comment on what a pompous, self-important way they went about announcing it.  No?

Outside of Shadows of Mordor and Killzone: SF, how many games have released free DLC this year?  The ratio of developers/publishers that DO give away free DLC versus developers/publishers that do not is heavily skewed towards the paid DLC route.

Good god, in this day and age of season passes, retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses, and microtransactions people are really turning their noses up at CD Projekt Red because "they're doing it for the attention"?

Developers truly cannot win.

Outside of Shadows of Mordor and Killzone: SF, how many games have released free DLC this year?  The ratio of developers/publishers that DO give away free DLC versus developers/publishers that do not is heavily skewed towards the paid DLC route.

Polyphony Digital has released quite a bit of free DLC for Gran Turismo 6, so you can add them to your list. But yes, most developers don't release free DLC and those that do should be praised, even if it is only something like a new skin or hairstyle. 

Parker

Keep in mind, my commentary is more about CD Projekt RED being heralded as the second coming of Jesus in the gaming industry for offering up some free beard sets for their currently unreleased game, in what is pretty obviously an attempt to talk themselves up and get a few extra preorders out the door.

Considering CD Projekt RED decided to already start planning their own parade, I don't have much more respect for them at the moment then I do a developer/publisher releasing quality DLC for a fair price.

Edited by Dreakon13

Keep in mind, my commentary is more about CD Projekt RED being heralded as the second coming of Jesus in the gaming industry for offering up some free beard sets for their currently unreleased game, in what is pretty obviously an attempt to talk themselves up and get a few extra preorders out the door.

Keep in mind, this DLC shown is 1/4th of the currently planned DLC to come to The Witcher 3 post-launch.  They did something similar with The Witcher 2, where they released a number of quests, armor sets, new NPCs, a new difficulty mode (that included content exclusive to that mode), and an arena mode, as well as the hairstylist.

If you'd rather, however, you can continue to go about paying $1.99 for each new hairpack or armor set in games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma.

the whole negativity of dlc/content/season pass is a bitch , for starters developers have the right to charge the dlc if want ,and will have a cost you must now because they wasted  a budget on it . If it bad for the industry for you don't buy it , for me it good we can get more of are games and  if those post content are very good .. so let it bee if not don't buy.

For CD they did this because they don't like to charge dlc and till i see bullshit and negativity in various site of this practice .. don't get it what player want  or just it that the internet it full of anonymous jerks. 

Keep in mind, this DLC shown is 1/4th of the currently planned DLC to come to The Witcher 3 post-launch.  They did something similar with The Witcher 2, where they released a number of quests, armor sets, new NPCs, a new difficulty mode (that included content exclusive to that mode), and an arena mode, as well as the hairstylist.

If you'd rather, however, you can continue to go about paying $1.99 for each new hairpack or armor set in games like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma.

I was incredibly impressed with The Witcher 2's post-launch DLC, and I actually went out of my way to promote the game (despite not really liking it) to people because I felt like it was the right thing to do.  CD Projekt RED was kicking ass.

If you can't tell the difference between what they did before with TW2, and what they're trying to do this time around... or you just don't care... that's fine.  I'm just saying it's cheapened it a bit for me.  I'll probably pass from the circlejerk this time around. xD

EDIT: Oh, and I bought Kingdom's of Amalur and all of it's DLC for $7.50... so I'm afraid I don't share your views on paying full price for everything.

Edited by Dreakon13

Considering CD Projekt RED decided to already start planning their own parade, I don't have much more respect for them at the moment then I do a developer/publisher releasing quality DLC for a fair price.

That happens even less frequently than free dlc

Let's break down a moment the kind of DLCs that usually come out, shall we.

1) Cosmetic crap (new skins, new MP characters, new weapons, new armors, whatever)

2) Multiplayer Maps

3) Challange Modes (Clash in the Clouds for BioInf for example)

4) Story Addons (new mission, world expansions and stuff like that)

1) New cosmetic crap cost almost no effort at all. After having produced a whole game, the process to add a single cosmetic thing is close to nil because the production process already exists. It's a job that doesn't require more than a couple hours at best. Anything in this category shouldn't cost more than 1€. I challenge you to find something similar.

And no, packets that include all dlcs that come out only after they released all the dlcs 1 piece at a time doesn't count.

2) This clearly requires more effort, but the writing, voice acting, motion capture and many other things are still not required. And the result is just a different place where to kill hordes of other gamers. After 2-3 runs you get used to the map and don't even notice. I don't know how much a single map should be worth, but under normal circumstances I would not pay even 5€ for a 5 maps pack.

3) This requires even more effort than the previous one, but usually they result in frustration. Because of that I wouldn't pay more than 3€ for a challenge pack dlc. Doesn't matter how big it is.

4) Now, this clearly involves all of the producing team again (maybe on a lesser scale). This is the kind of DLC that I wouldn't mind spending 9,99€ over. Problem is that when your main game is, let's say, 60 hours long and it costs 69,99€, the 9,99€ DLC should last at least 8 hours AND be of good quality overall (or at least on par with the main game). Story DLCs hardly last more than 3-4 hours.

You can say what you want, but quality DLC is incredibly rare and is still overpriced compared to a full fledged game.

Edited by DocDoomII

You can say what you want, but quality DLC is incredibly rare and is still overpriced compared to a full fledged game.

That's a whole heapin' helpin' of opinion that you're shoving down our throats here.  The most offensive part is that it kind of sounds like you're trying to make it out to be fact... and that it's really difficult to respond to because there are decent concepts mired in bias and misinformation.

You do realize that people actually enjoy things like cosmetic DLC (which is the cheapest and most harmless/optional piece of DLC out of the bunch), and don't find challenge packs as "frustrating" as you do, right?  And don't necessarily view value strictly in terms of "hours played", but rather how much enjoyment they got out of it?  Or aren't naive enough to think that the average length of your average $60 game, other than an RPG (and even then), is actually 60+ hours... especially if you take artificial gameplay extenders like trophies out of the mix, since it's actually a niche segment of the community that focus on that sort of thing.

Or are you under the impression that your opinion is actually the standard, and everything you posted is what everyone should think...?  Despite, most likely, having no prior knowledge of the effort/budget that goes into creating any given DLC... the fee's Sony and Microsoft likely charge for listing them on their respective networks (I know developers pay out the ass for patches)... and the fact that the arbitrary numbers you want to pay for DLC really mean next to nothing.

My personal thought is that most DLC is priced pretty reasonably these days, even if you are losing your shit because Clash in the Clouds is priced about a dollar more than you're willing to pay (oh no!).  There are absolutely scenarios of borderline customer exploitation, but those are generally called out as quickly as they're listed.

Edited by Dreakon13