Any board game geeks out there?

skidmarkgn

Being a "gamer" doesn't specifically mean you play video games. It means you enjoy games as a whole. I'm a pretty serious board game enthusiast myself. I'm not talking about games like Scrabble or Sorry (which I do enjoy) as much as I'm talking about games that have a story and characters and multiple scenarios that can be played. I'm also not really talking about D&D style pen and paper RPG's, this thread is for discussing adventure style board games that you enjoy.

I'll start with Touch of Evil. It's a horror style board game that my good buddy Piggie-Pie and I play about once month or so. He and I have defeated every villain that the game has to offer (until the next expansion) and this proved to be a pretty sweet game. It can be played cooperatively or competitively and the turn phases/rules are pretty easy to learn. It has a beginner and advanced version of every villain and their minions and a couple of optional rules you can apply for a little increase in difficulty once you get fluid and need a bit of an extra challenge.

I'm thinking about stepping it up to Arkham Horror now that Piggie and I are done with ToE, it plays using the same system, there's just more volume to the game itself. ToE takes about 2 hours to play from start to finish where as Arkham Horror is closer to 3 or 4 until you memorize and master everything involved (of which there is a LOT).

Anyone else out there got any board games you love?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this exactly counts, but I really love Alhambra, a more "Monopoly" esque board game, but far more exciting and quicker paced.

I also really enjoy another obscure game called "Ascension; Chronicle of the Godslayer." It's much like Magic The Gathering, except you somewhat "build" your deck as you play, making it a blast to play, and often ending up as a close game.

I'm not sure if this exactly counts, but I really love Alhambra, a more "Monopoly" esque board game, but far more exciting and quicker paced.

I also really enjoy another obscure game called "Ascension; Chronicle of the Godslayer." It's much like Magic The Gathering, except you somewhat "build" your deck as you play, making it a blast to play, and often ending up as a close game.

I did a bit of research on Ascension after reading this and it looks like a cool game. I haven't touched a CCG in quite a while - I was an avid magic player in the 90's then the Star Wars CCG came along and ruined that, I eventually did a collection for collection trade with a guy because I preferred Star Wars and he Preferred Magic.

I also gotta mention Descent: Journeys in the Dark to anyone who's looking to get into board gaming. It's not cheap but you get a TON of bang for your buck... it's my personal favorite board game, if you got about 5 hours to kill :)

I did a bit of research on Ascension after reading this and it looks like a cool game. I haven't touched a CCG in quite a while - I was an avid magic player in the 90's then the Star Wars CCG came along and ruined that, I eventually did a collection for collection trade with a guy because I preferred Star Wars and he Preferred Magic.

I also gotta mention Descent: Journeys in the Dark to anyone who's looking to get into board gaming. It's not cheap but you get a TON of bang for your buck... it's my personal favorite board game, if you got about 5 hours to kill :)

Ah, I wouldn't say Ascension is a CCG, but I may be wrong.

There are quite a few board games I enjoyed and still enjoy.

Naturally, Dungeons & Dragon's, and then there is another game I like called Panzer Blitz:

panzerblitz+scan+box+cover.jpgpic1171502_md.jpg

A groundbreaking board game of armored warfare on the Eastern Front in World War II.

The game is tactical scale (company/platoon sized units) with geomorphic map boards. The counters are 5/8' and were very striking for their time.

A stand-alone follow up game, Panzer Leader, was set on the Western Front. Although it introduced a revised rules system, Panzer Leader used geomorphic map boards that were compatible with those used in Panzerblitz.

I just LOVED Panzer BLitz and spent many hours playing this gem.

Then of course there are the "Standards" that I enjoy:

Chess

Monopoly

Risk

Apart from when I play board games with the kids, (Cant beat a bit of Mousetrap!!) The only board game that I'm actually into is Chess. I've just started teaching my 8 year old nephew, who claims that its much better than those baby games. (I'd have to agree.)

No one actually played mousetrap, silly sir. People always just set up the trap to watch it go off.

• Like 1

Is what comes in the box all that's available or can you buy booster packs and/or expansions that grant extra boards or cards?

To my knowledge, there is one available expansion pack with more cards and such, but it also has additional objectives and "bosses"

Lol, good point. Ok, how's this for an "expansion pack"?

scrabble_trickster.jpg

Pretty fun version of the game. Had lots of laughs playing this with my sister and her kids at Xmas recently :awesome:

Bahaha! I didn't even know such a thing existed! That's awesome.

Personally though, as far as word games go, I'll stick to my personal favorite; Bananagrams

So far I've played three of the five games (that I know of) from Flying Frog productions and they've all been great. Last Night on Earth, Invasion from Outer Space, and of course, Touch of Evil. Last Night and Invasion can be combined with each other which is another plus.

I haven't played Fortune and Glory or Conquest of Planet Earth yet but I definitely plan on trying them, especially Fortune and Glory. If anyone's interested check 'em out:

http://www.flyingfrog.net/

• 3 weeks later...

So this one has recently caught my eye. Not sure how the gameplay works yet but I'm hearing it's one of those games you can play 100 times and get a different(ish) experience every time:

http://www.gamehead....full banner.jpg

Update:

Got it, played it, loved it. My buddy and I have only played it once so far and we fudged up a ton of the rules. Now that I have the mistakes we made sorted out I can't wait to try it again. It is extremely Indiana Jones-ish but, being a fan of all things Indiana, I'm looking at that as a good thing. It might be my new favorite Flying Frog game.