How hard is Akumu mode?

skiptracing

Akumu is actually really easy.  It may have been hard when the game was first released but there are lots of easy strategies you can use to beat it.  The only hard section I found was chapter 2 before the gate.  Everything else was pretty simple.  You can spam upgraded +4 or +5 flash bolts in the chapter 6 rooms to make all the enemies stand still for the entire duration of the boom disarming (do the train in the first room and then spam flash bolts in the 2nd room).  Save 75k by the time you hit chapter 11 so you can upgrade the damage on the magnum to max.  Only use the magnum on bosses (I only used the ammo on the chapter 14 boss and the final 2 Boxheads at the end of the game, it made both those fights last until 30 seconds each).

Of course you'll die a few times on some parts but all the strategies are there for every "hard" section so it really makes the game a lot easier and almost come down to luck on whether you can execute the strategy the right way or not.

Edited by QuantumMercury

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know how to describe its difficulty, but Akumu mode is the most cheapest difficulty I ever play. It is worse than my Resident Evil 5 professional difficulty or Doom 3 Nightmare. In RE5, you can unlock unlimited ammo, bullets can 4 hit kill you and partner can heal you. In Doom 3, soul cube/artifact could momentarily give you advantages. But The Evil Within akumu mode bring the cheapness to new level. One hit kill of any kind of attack kill you. also you must start from new game fresh. If you beat the game on survival, your items will be carried on new game plus for survival mode or casual mode only.  :unsure:

The only way to platinum this game, is by being hardcore. Remember all pattern of enemies, their location, their weakness, etc and the most important thing is disable and save trap parts as many as possible before you reach Chapter 6. If you have more than 40 trap parts at the beginning of Chapter 6, your problem will be much more easier later on. Just I would like to quote youtuber Seraphim, if you pass Chapter 6 on Akumu mode, you should be able to beat entire game on Akumu mode. :P

I completed Akumu mode with having total deaths of 461. My experience is painful, but very satisfying. :)

Edited by Shazarul1985
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just finished my AKUMU run 11 hours 18 minutes with 128 total deaths.

I can highly recommend following YouTube Playlist, it shows all upgrades and when to take them and also in which order to unlock the locker safes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW_kRUHQNhSHPZS0QxQ6DKQcCWgaa-fIF

His tactics are almost always very easy to copy.

Edited by DarkJayk
  • Like 1

It is hard, but not that hard. Just use your ammo wisely, abuse the sneak and burn kills and upgrade your weapons and running time (and match capacity, if you want). You can also use the doors to knock down your enemies and burn them if you are low on ammo. In my experience, there are just a few parts in the game that will be critical, the other parts will be relatively easy...

I accidentally deleted my Evil Within saves months back.  Along with my Akumu. (I just platted it tonight though, on casual cleaning up keys and collectibles on a fresh run)  It'll give me an excuse to go back and suffer through it once again... Well I guess I'll have to beat survival or nightmare first... To unlock it.

Hopefully, the assignment doesn't need any modes beaten above casual to have certain content unlocked.  I don't know why it would.  Anyone know?  That's just how my mind works.  Dumb probably, I know.  Kinda wish I didn't delete it for the damn silent kill trophy because I couldn't get it to pop for me.  

With that being said, there's some tough spots, but there's tons of video out now, and the tough spots can be prepared for a little more.  Some of areas though do come down to doing them a few times and getting a tad lucky.  Akumu is hard, but overall it's the fear of the one touch that I loved.  Playing through it again, It's slowly sliding into the area of one of my most favorite games in a long time.

I chose survivor difficulty when i first started the game and this is the maximum difficulty you can and SHOULD chose when playing for first time. I was so close to become frustrated on survivor so i know the higher difficulties would be frustrating easilty. Now that I am in the end of survivor difficulty, i feel like i can handle higher difficulties. That being said, I would not go for higher difficulties because I dont like the idea of resource management and less checkpoints to make game difficult. Answering your question "is it hard", Yes! it is hard w.r.t other games i played

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have done my 1st run of the game on Survival mode without upgrading anything, in order to minimize the total runs i had to do. 
Akumu is hard indeed, but if you had the same experience i had, you'll do just fine, spending your points in the things you really need and with some restarts.
(but expect to have some bad times in chapter 6 anyway)

I have earned this trophy but not plat it yet. I’ll do again on PS4 version. It’s definitely hard but not really hard if you’re good at being patient with it. Only the chapter six, eleven and other chapter where there’s some yellow gates (I forget which chapter one)that punished me so badly. More importantly, The sprint, flash and shock bolts level three or four, and also the rifle to max are useful in the akumu mode and make your life easy.  Good luck, not a lot of people loved it but I definitely enjoyed it a lot and thought it's pretty decent game.

• 5 months later...

it was very easy and simple go ahead and play akumu if you found the magnum just upgrade it as can and use it aginest the bosses 

As i said easy/fun mode chapter 6 is hardest one , all you have to do is run away from the enemies and use your crossbow and another good news 

if you had a trouble with any boss in your first playthrogh on easy or survival difficulty you'll not get a trouble again ! shotguns and magnum is best weapons for you !

• 2 months later...

for anyone to say its just "easy" is exaggerating. its not easy you die with one hit. this can become frusterating after yous earched a buncha areas for ammo, and then died and have to do it again lol

heres some things to factor, the people who said its "easy" have played it multiple playthroughs, most likely memorized most of the maps and the mechanics of how each zombies moves and fights. i would compare this strategy to a speed run in resident evil where you have to memorize the mansion layout in order to beat it under time for a trophy, except your doing that here with the level and the way characters move and how to kill them and react to them.

you cant jump right into it, you need to unlock it. and even then trying it on your 2nd playthrough is a bummer

i think maybe what makes it feel the worse is in general the game is easy, and as you upgrade more and more the other difficulties are cakewalk. i beat casual and survivor 7 times. so my mind was pre set on thinking ah i can go in there and run past everyone or avoid half the people. NO i was WRONG! the detection on zombies are HIGH!! so that means no sneak kills. they also move alot faster and seems to be less gel and ammo. ammo seemed to be a problem on my first playthrough on easy before upgrades, so on this difficulty certain parts you have nothing and you dont know when to use your ammo, run, or what because you may screw yourself in the next section if you do use it.

but, there is over 3k platinums for this game. which means it has to be pretty doable.

i think once you set your mind into the frame that its going to take alot of time, then its possible. its nothing thats going to be done fast. unlearn you brain from the fast pace you had from the normal modes and then that will make the difficulty not feel as bad

Edited by melodicmizery
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

No it's not easy, it will frustrate you, it will make you want to die, but it will reward you with elation when you get through tough bits. The one-hit deaths is a thing, but it's really not, with a good checkpoint system, it can easily be managed. There are some areas that are really tough though where you don't get checkpointed. Getting good at disarming traps is what will make it easier, if there's traps around a checkpoint, always make a habit of disarming them, knowing one wrong move and you've wasted 30 seconds rather than 30 minutes. Conserve your ammo for when absolutely necessary (like the burning house or pulley level) and you'll survive, these two parts are beyond difficult, but if you've got the ammo, that's the time to use it. Stunning mobs with bottles makes for an easy, no-ammo kill. Stealth is your friend

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you can conquer those two burning rooms in the beginning of chapter 6, you'll be able to beat the rest of the game. I've progressed to chapter 11 and everything has taken me 5 attempts or less to complete. I was really worried about the Laura and Amalgam fights because of what I heard, but they weren't nearly as bad as chapter 6.

• 3 weeks later...

3YARAe6.jpg

Just finished Akumu, it's quite fun and challenging but not something very terrible if you are prepared.

I would say that I'm quite good at stealth and I can disarm the bomb like 80% of the time. One punch + headshot is very effective against normal enemy.
Got every collectibles (including the Laura key at chapter 11) but didn't open any locker.

My upgrade at the end is:
Stamina level 3

Rifle max damage (one hit kill normal enemy), Magnum damage at level 4 (only to deal with Chapter 14 boss)
Stock level 3 for all weapons except handgun and magnum at 2 and matches at 4

Flashbolt level 4, Harpoon level 5 (I only upgraded it to level 5 in the final chapter because I have extra gel and want to burn the shit out of the enemies)
Didn't spend any point on other upgrade because I'm super stingy on using my resources unless it absolutely necessary, and because of that I have around... 200 parts at the beginning of chapter 14 lol.

Other would have easier time than me if they use lockers and crossbow more.