Would you pay for a PSNProfiles app?

1,434 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for a PSNProfiles app?

• I wouldn't pay
    • $0.99 / £0.79
    • $1.99 / £1.49
    • $2.99 / £2.29
    • $3.99 / £2.99

32 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Devs don't work for free, obviously. It's not Sly who is going to do the work and this site is huge and have a lot of features that would need to be added, free is not an option.

Still there are loads of free apps, and the devs who made them also dont work for free in general, they get paid via the ads if its their own app or they get paid upfront and whoever commissioned the app makes their money back (and hopefully more) with the ads (yes there are apps that are made just for furn or whatever, but there are loads of free apps that get financed via ads)

not saying this app should necessary be free, but saying devs of free apps in general dont get paid is just wrong...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gernboes said:

not saying this app should necessary be free, but saying devs of free apps in general dont get paid is just wrong...

I know how the system works, but depending on how much traffic and ads are displayed on the app, the income is so low that you can hardly even get google to pay you once per trimester, so yeah, it's pretty much free work. The logic of "there are free apps, so any app could be free" is flawed. There are also free games, every game should be free? Nope.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I know how the system works, but depending on how much traffic and ads are displayed on the app, the income is so low that you can hardly even get google to pay you once per trimester, so yeah, it's pretty much free work. The logic of "there are free apps, so any app could be free is flawed". There are also free games, every game should be free? Nope.

Well, thats the reason i wrote im not saying this app should necessarily be free, because i dont know the numbers... i dont know how much traffic this site has and what the projected traffic for the app would be. And i never said any app should or could be free. And every game? I never even talked about games...
But saying free is not an option is plain wrong. Maybe ts not an attractive option, or not even a viable when looking at the numbers. But not an Option? No. The website also was the work of somebody, and with ads and memberships, i dont think they worked/work for free. So a free app with ads or with a premium version is an option. An attractive one? I dont know.

5 minutes ago, gernboes said:

But saying free is not an option is plain wrong. Maybe ts not an attractive option, or not even a viable when looking at the numbers.

I assumed that people would connect both things when I said it wouldn't be a viable option, but guess not.

Guess I need to state that free is a possible option for every possible thing in life, but it's extremely unlikely that companies will do it in the large number of times.

5 minutes ago, gernboes said:

And i never said any app should or could be free. And every game? I never even talked about games...

Yeah, you didn't say it, I did for comparison.

Is there anything else you wish to discuss?

Edited by TheYuriG

3 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I assumed that people would connect both things when I said it wouldn't be a viable option, but guess not.

Guess I need to state that free is a possible option for every possible thing in life, but it's extremely unlikely that companies will do it in the large number of times.

Is there anything else you wish to discuss?

cZm2xhN.jpg

Around 90% are not a large number? We are not talking about something rare here! The vast majority of apps is free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheYuriG said:

Ok, what is your point and why is that relevant to what I said?

Well, i think 90% free apps contradict that

10 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

it's extremely unlikely that companies will do it in the large number of times.

12 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Yeah, you didn't say it, I did for comparison.

Just saw this because of the edit...
Thats a bad comparison IMO, because 90% of games arent free. 90% of apps are though...

3 minutes ago, gernboes said:

Well, i think 90% free apps contradict that

I wasn't talking just about apps when I said companies, I meant everything in life, but I guess you gonna continue with with the "bad comparison" argument so I'm gonna bail out of this point.

Sure majority of the apps are free for the user, but a PSN Profiles app most likely wouldn't be free for Sly to make, he would either have to hire someone to do it and pay that person or do it himself which would take a lot off his already busy time. I doubt anyone would work for free for something this big, which was my initial point. Also don't fall for the trap of "free" apps. Free apps with ads are not free apps, you are actually the product.

The entire point of this thread is "It will cost Sly to get an App working and he is not willing to pay for that cost alone, so he is asking the users how much would they be willing to collaborate in order to turn the app a reality". As we can see from the fact there is still no app avaiable, I guess we can all conclude the support wasn't as big as necessary, despite the 13 pages of majorly positive replies.

Let me know if you have further questions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

I wasn't talking just about apps when I said companies, I meant everything in life, but I guess you gonna continue with with the "bad comparison" argument so I'm gonna bail out of this point.

Of course it is a bad comparison, everything in life? Is it viable to produce free cars? of course not, thats why it isnt done. Is it viable to produce free apps? Depends, but for some, yes, without a doubt!

6 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Sure majority of the apps are free for the user, but a PSN Profiles app most likely wouldn't be free for Sly to make, he would either have to hire someone to do it and pay that person or do it himself which would take a lot off his already busy time

Of course it would cost either money or time. Just as the making of this website did, and it also has a free level, just as many free apps have premium levels.

7 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

Also don't fall for the trap of "free" apps. Free apps with ads are not free apps, you are actually the product.

Nothing new. Everybody should know that. also not the point of the discussion here, so why bring it up?

8 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

The entire point of this thread is "It will cost Sly to get an App working and he is not willing to pay for that cost alone, so he is asking the users how much would they be willing to collaborate in order to turn the app a reality". As we can see from the fact there is still no app avaiable, I guess we can all conclude the support wasn't as big as necessary, despite the 13 pages of majorly positive replies.

And if Sly says he has looked at the numbers and a free app wouldnt be viable, than thats how it is. But as far as i know (and please correct me if im wrong), you are a norma member here and not part of the dev team and dont have deeper insight into the traffic numbers, right? Than you can not tell if it would be viable or not! You can take a guess, but saying free is not an option is plain and simple wrong.

And again, im not saying it should be free, because i too dont know the numbers. Im just saying you and me can not say definitively!

In my personal opinion, if it would have the same fundtions as just looking at the page in my phones browser, i wouldnt pay. If it had some additional functions, then maybe (and those could be a premium in an otherwise free app for example)

1 minute ago, gernboes said:

But as far as i know (and please correct me if im wrong), you are a norma member here and not part of the dev team and dont have deeper insight into the traffic numbers, right? Than you can not tell if it would be viable or not! You can take a guess, but saying free is not an option is plain and simple wrong.

And again, im not saying it should be free, because i too dont know the numbers. Im just saying you and me can not say definitively!

So you basically went through all of this discussion because you took my mere opinion as a fact? That I could have saved my time replying to you for the last several minutes if only my post had a ", I think" at the end? I guess I'm just gonna go and edit my post to avoid further unnecessary discussions like this.

3 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

So you basically went through all of this discussion because you took my mere opinion as a fact? That I could have saved my time replying to you for the last several minutes if only my post had a ", I think" at the end? I guess I'm just gonna go and edit my post to avoid further unnecessary discussions like this.

Well, the way you worded it, it sounded to me as if you were stating it as a fact, so yes.

9 minutes ago, gernboes said:

But as far as i know (and please correct me if im wrong), you are a norma member here and not part of the dev team and dont have deeper insight into the traffic numbers, right?

Well, technically, he's part of the anti cheat brigade and has some more options on the site.

Edited by Angelo Urkel

1 minute ago, Angelo Urkel said:

Well, technically, he's part of the anti cheat brigade and has some more options on the site.

Well as i said, if he has insight into traffic and therefore can say if an app would generate enough traffic, then thats something else. still, i have no clue as the anti cheat brigade is in such a position...

The main page doesn't work too great for mobile devices and a few quid spent on something I'd use quite often isn't a problem. I keep meaning to get Premium here too.

But free with ads or paid without, great idea.

Edited by GarryKE

1 hour ago, TheYuriG said:

Devs don't work for free, obviously. It's not Sly who is going to do the work and this site is huge and have a lot of features that would need to be added, free is not an option*.

EDIT: *in my opinion.

You'll get money from advertising/banners/integrations e.t.c. What's the problem here more than 80% in the mobile industry works this way. You either do some high quality app with good team of devs and answer the demands of general public or you do free stuff without any pressure and make money on ads.

Edited by Greidis

3 minutes ago, Greidis said:

You'll get money from advertising/banners/integrations e.t.c. 

There are several other issues which I don't want to be involved with, like having ads related to cheating devices and etc. I'm quite against ads overall, I use adblocker on pretty much everything I use but here (i'm premium so irrelevant), so I would just rather not have ads on anything I create, personally.

In reality, I would actually rather see some of the long waited features of this website to be finally fixed/released than getting paid for this, but I just assume that Sly has more money to pay someone, than time to fix the issues/implement the pending features.

Edited by TheYuriG

I'd happily pay for an app.  This has become my favorite site to look up guides and check my trophies, I clearly don't use the forum too much but that's another story. 

I don't use a ton of apps in general, but the ones I like I will pay for if there's an option.  Most of them, including PS Trophies, are free with an option to buy or remove ads.  I usually have enough from Google Opinion Rewards to buy an app, so it works out well.  

• Like 1