Evolve Developer Confirms PS4, Xbox One and PC Parity

Azaan60

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/01/27/evolve-developer-confirms-ps4-xbox-one-pc-parity/

Following news that the PlayStation 4 version of The Witcher 3 will have a slight technical advantage over its Xbox One counterpart,Evolve developer Turtle Rock has now confirmed parity across the shooter’s PS4 and Xbox One versions.
In an interview, Producer Chloe Skew mentioned how all three versions will be the same graphically, which should put an end to discussions as to which console is better and all that.

"But you know we do have parity between all three and I think that’s really helpful. You know it kind of silences that ‘Oh such and such is better’"

Skew also cites that she finds console wars “tedious,” and how they want to give an equal experience to everyone no matter the platform.

"But we want it to be an equivalent experience… console wars are so tedious. It’s like if you like that controller better, if you feel like that’s stronger than do what you want to do but we want to provide an equal experience for everyone."

Are you OK with Evolve being the same across the board? Or should have Turtle Rock taken advantage of the PS4 horsepower to pump out the best looking game it can on that platform?

Honestly this parity stuff is idiotic, why lower the performance of the PS4 version just because the Xbox One is weaker? By that logic all PC games should run at the lowest settings or all Android users should bend their phones for iPhone users. I wasn't planning on getting Evolve after the shitty Alpha and DLC; but this just seals the deal.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/01/27/evolve-developer-confirms-ps4-xbox-one-pc-parity/

Honestly this parity stuff is idiotic, why lower the performance of the PS4 version just because the Xbox One is weaker? By that logic all PC games should run at the lowest settings or all Android users should bend their phones for iPhone users. I wasn't planning on getting Evolve after the shitty Alpha and DLC; but this just seals the deal.

Does this mean every third party game can never make full use of the PS4's awesome power just cause the XBOX1 is weaker, WOW

Does that mean we won't be able to see games like Batman Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider 2, Mortal Kombat X at their best bcoz of XBOX

Screw XBOX :angry: 

The thing I noticed with forced parity is the fact that the developer never push the lowest console they are trying to appease. I do hope they stop this in later releases, I have an Xbox One and willing to accept that I won't get the best quality just like PS4 has the inferior OS. The PS4 is 30-40% powerful than the X1, use it and show us the power if the console can handle it. I have a feeling that the game won't be optimize properly and people will blame the X1 for no good reason. 

Does this mean every third party game can never make full use of the PS4's awesome power just cause the XBOX1 is weaker, WOW

Does that mean we won't be able to see games like Batman Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider 2, Mortal Kombat X at their best bcoz of XBOX

Screw XBOX :angry:

Developing doesn't work like that. If you have special dealings with a Console maker, things like this could happen (Not saying MS had a hand in this). Also no one really blamed PS3 for the lack of crappy multi-plats we had last gen.

To address OP's point, I think Devs should use the max settings they can on each platform. It seems silly to waste potential like that. If one console can't handle a game as well as the others then you're basically just nerfing your game to stop fanboys getting butt-hurt. Adults like the rest of us will understand and move on if you're just honest about it and explain that, they're sorry, but such-and-such console just can't run the game on these settings.

To jump on the Evolve-bashing soap-box, it seems like there isn't enough content in the packaged game to justify the full price. I know they're saying that the DLC monsters and hunters aren't finished yet, but my response to that is: well then clearly your f**king game isn't finished yet.

Some thoughts that I broadly agree with, from everyone's favourite soap-boxer, Jim Sterling:

Parity is cool by me. No one likes the feeling that they're the weakest link. On another note: This game looks fantastic! Its a pure example of using next gen technology to add new gameplay elements instead of just adding fancier graphics. This game wouldn't have been possible on last gen. And I'm excited to see how well it goes. For those who don't believe me on the next gen gameplay mechanics part..

-This game runs at 60 fps (seems quite rare these days). 

-Wildlife runs rampant all around and attack the player, each with its own unique AI.

-If the monster disturbs the creatures in the area it can accidentally reveal its location to hunters, an example being that goliath can cause birds to fly out of trees if he makes too much noise.

-The monster bleeds dynamically depending on where its been hit, and hunters can follow its blood trail.

-The monster leaves footprints that stay there the whole game, which hunters can use to track it.

-Destructible environments which can be used to the monsters advantage.

This game looks sick. I want it and if it does well then guess what? Those of you hating on it will miss out and I'll be having a blast with my family and friends. Now I'm not looking for an argument here, its a fact that different games appeal to different people and no one is gonna like the same stuff. And if you are genuinely uninterested in this title, well... good for you. But hating on games before they're even released is just low.  Real people put their heart and soul into these games and its quite mean to treat their game like crap, so be nice >: (

You know who you are. Jack denenjir from third grade.

Edited by shananiganyo
  • Like 1

I'm disappointed, but it doesn't really change anything for me; I enjoyed the beta tremendously, and I'll still be picking up the game when I can. 

Still, why waist potential like that? I know the console wars suck, but still, I don't think a company should waist the extra power that the PS4 can offer; they should take advantage of it. And yes, if they did that, those on PS4 would have a version that performs better than the version on Xbox One; but guess what, PC is still more powerful than either, and Evolve tends to be favouring the Xbox One (what with the longer beta, as well as it being open to everyone).

Each platform would have it's own advantage: PC would be the most powerful and so (hopefully) run the best version of the game, PS4 would be the most powerful console, and so hopefully run better than the version on Xbox One, and the One is generally being the favourable platform for the game. 

I say just use what you can; don't hold back so there's parity between them all. It's just wasted potential, and regardless if you do parity or not, people will not be content; if there is parity, people will be upset that potential was held back on the stronger platform(s). If there isn't parity, there will be pointless debates over which version of the game is better. There's no winning either way, so just lose in the most beneficial way.

Parity is cool by me. No one likes the feeling that they're the weakest link. On another note: This game looks fantastic! Its a pure example of using next gen technology to add new gameplay elements instead of just adding fancier graphics. This game wouldn't have been possible on last gen. And I'm excited to see how well it goes. For those who don't believe me on the next gen gameplay mechanics part..

-This game runs at 60 fps (seems quite rare these days). 

-Wildlife runs rampant all around and attack the player, each with its own unique AI.

-If the monster disturbs the creatures in the area it can accidentally reveal its location to hunters, an example being that goliath can cause birds to fly out of trees if he makes too much noise.

-The monster bleeds dynamically depending on where its been hit, and hunters can follow its blood trail.

-The monster leaves footprints that stay there the whole game, which hunters can use to track it.

-Destructible environments which can be used to the monsters advantage.

This game looks sick. I want it and if it does well then guess what? Those of you hating on it will miss out and I'll be having a blast with my family and friends. Now I'm not looking for an argument here, its a fact that different games appeal to different people and no one is gonna like the same stuff. And if you are genuinely uninterested in this title, well... good for you. But hating on games before they're even released is just low.  Real people put their heart and soul into these games and its quite mean to treat their game like crap, so be nice >: (

You know who you are. Jack denenjir from third grade.

Dude how old are you?.That is an incredibly naive way of thinking, I payed $650 for my PS4, why should the PS4 get a weaker version just because of the Xbox One; a console which I have no interest in buying. I payed money to be able to play games that take advantage of the PS4, not games that weaken it because of a console I do not have or never will have. Also if Xbox users feel like "the weakest link" then they should buy the PC or PS4 version.

• Like 1

Dude how old are you?.That is an incredibly naive way of thinking, I payed $650 for my PS4, why should the PS4 get a weaker version just because of the Xbox One; a console which I have no interest in buying. I payed money to be able to play games that take advantage of the PS4, not games that weaken it because of a console I do not have or never will have. Also if Xbox users feel like "the weakest link" then they should buy the PC or PS4 version.

Good point. I'm just trying to look at it in a positive light. It just depends on how you look at it. Allow everyone to get the same experience at the cost of potential? Or make some people feel like they own the inferior version? Either way not everyone will be satisfied.

Edited by shananiganyo

Play the beta before you drop your cash. The hate exists for a reason.

I love the concept, but the consensus opinion from those who have played Evolve is it not worth full retail for such a limited, repetitive experience. It also feels like they've delivered half a game by making more than half the roster exorbitantly-priced DLC.

Definitely a bargain bin pick-up for me and like Left 4 Dead before it, Evolve will be best played in local co-op with friends.

• Like 1

Well, I do understand that they're trying not to make any of the Xbone owners feel like the weakest link, or to feel as if their Xbone ain't as powerful as the PS4, but it still blows that they're giving the PS4 a disadvantage, and are basically forcing it to pair up with the Xbone and have them en-light into the same level altogether just so both parties can be evenly "satisfied".

• Like 1

I have to agree with Azaan60 

shananiganyo, just curious did you play sports where everyone got a trophy no matter if they won or not so no one got their feelings hurt.  I have a feeling you did bc what you said is the reason why the world is so bad anymore, we dont want to hurt peoples feelings bc they didnt win or for this example, they have the less powerful console.  Plus you cant please everyone, if you tried that you would go crazy.  If you do parity and allow companies to do this and be ok with it, than why not just do one console so every one can be happy and get their trophy and juice boxes.

• Like 1

This game killed it for me when they announced pre-order bonus of skipping several levels for the digital Xbox One version. I just hate supporting this business practice. It does seem rather silly that they didn't maximize the potential of the PS4/PC versions. tbh though, I think more than three quarters of PlayStation fans that wave their d*cks around resolution differences wouldn't be able to tell a difference between 1080p and 900p if it was shown to them.