Best capture device?

Venocide

From next week I hope to start streaming PS4/PS3/Wii U games, does anyone know what the best capture device would be? I've heard good things about Elgato & AVerMedia, are there any better?

I've wanted to stream for a long time but because my internet is so terrible, I haven't been able to. But from next Monday I'll be able to upgrade to super fast fibre, I can't wait. ^^

i am using avermedia live gamer portable (cause you can record on sdcard w/o using pc) and its great

it can record full hd 30 fps on sd card mode and full hd 60 fps on pc mode with variety of Mbps

one thing you have to keep in mind is ps3 hdcp which means you cant record via hdmi directly. you need active hdmi splitter to bypass hdcp (same with other devices that uses hdcp)

• Like 1

All depends on what you want. 

If you want a portable capture card that you can take a friends house and so. 

Get the Avermedia live gamer portable, you can record footage on to a SD memory card at 720p

So there's no need for a pc when it comes to capturing footage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVerMedia-C875-GL710-Portable-Capture/dp/B00C1EO536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424117768&sr=8-1&keywords=live+gamer+portable

But if you want Quality. 

Get the Elgato 60 

It records at 1080p 60 fps. 

But it doesn't have the portable feature, so there's no option of recording straight to a memory card. 

Keep in mind though recording at 1080p 60 will leave you with a huge video file which can take forever to render and upload depending on your PC and your upload speed.

So this 60 fps feature is only really useful if you have a good pc rig and a good internet upload speed. :)

If you don't have those two things you're much better off going with the live gamer portable. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Capture-Generation-Gameplay-Playstation/dp/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424117636&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+60

When it comes to streaming these are both more than capable. 

However the quality of your stream is also dependent on your upload speed. 

If you an upload speed of say 2MBPS you'll be able to run a decent quality stream, probably at around 720p. 

If you have an upload speed of around 5MBPS or higher, you're going to be able to stream in great quality at 1080p. 

It also takes a hell of an upload speed to stream at 60FPS, so once again, you should only be looking at the elgato 60 if you're upload speed is at least 5.. 5MBPS is the bare minimum honestly, it won't be great on that but it will be achievable on that, if you have higher that 5MBPS then by all means go for the Elgato 60. 

Edited by Vagantem
  • Like 2

Thanks all for you input, much appreciated. 

I use Elgato, comes bundled with software required.  It's simple to use so it isn't something that will totally confuse first timers.  The videos are a decent quality.  Here's a couple of my examples:

Looks good, DEMON! Looks like I'll go for the Elgato device! :D

All depends on what you want. 

If you want a portable capture card that you can take a friends house and so. 

Get the Avermedia live gamer portable, you can record footage on to a SD memory card at 720p

So there's no need for a pc when it comes to capturing footage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVerMedia-C875-GL710-Portable-Capture/dp/B00C1EO536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424117768&sr=8-1&keywords=live+gamer+portable

But if you want Quality. 

Get the Elgato 60 

It records at 1080p 60 fps. 

But it doesn't have the portable feature, so there's no option of recording straight to a memory card. 

Keep in mind though recording at 1080p 60 will leave you with a huge video file which can take forever to render and upload depending on your PC and your upload speed.

So this 60 fps feature is only really useful if you have a good pc rig and a good internet upload speed. :)

If you don't have those two things you're much better off going with the live gamer portable. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Capture-Generation-Gameplay-Playstation/dp/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424117636&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+60

When it comes to streaming these are both more than capable. 

However the quality of your stream is also dependent on your upload speed. 

If you an upload speed of say 2MBPS you'll be able to run a decent quality stream, probably at around 720p. 

If you have an upload speed of around 5MBPS or higher, you're going to be able to stream in great quality at 1080p. 

It also takes a hell of an upload speed to stream at 60FPS, so once again, you should only be looking at the elgato 60 if you're upload speed is at least 5.. 5MBPS is the bare minimum honestly, it won't be great on that but it will be achievable on that, if you have higher that 5MBPS then by all means go for the Elgato 60. 

I'm more interested in quality so I'm definitely going to choose the Elgato device. When I went on BT's site yesterday and ordered the super fast fibre broadband it said I'll have around 20mbps upload speed. My current upload speed is 0.28mbps.. yeah, I said it was bad. :/ 

4147950483.png

Edited by Venocide

Thanks all for you input, much appreciated. 

Looks good, DEMON! Looks like I'll go for the Elgato device! :D

I'm more interested in quality so I'm definitely going to choose the Elgato device. When I went on BT's site yesterday and ordered the super fast fibre broadband it said I'll have around 20mbps upload speed. My current upload speed is 0.28mbps.. yeah, I said it was bad. :/ 

4147950483.png

Yeah that's awful lol.. borderline useless. 

You're getting 20 upload though so you'll be just fine with the Elgato 60.

Good luck man. :)

• Like 1

Both the HD60 and the HD support recording and streaming at 1080p x 60FPS. Resolution can be be tweaked depending on upload speed.

For recording, the more flexible of the two Elgato devices is the Game Capture HD rather than the HD60.

• Elgato HD60 does NOT have direct input for PS3. Elgato HD does.
  • The HD supports ANY device that uses component cables or HDMI.
  • As Gwinambele indicated, you'll need an active HDMI splitter to support the HD60 on PS3. 
  • Elgato HD's PS3 input means you need to play via component cable, which looks like shit. Use the splitter workaround for HDMI.

For streaming, the HD60 supports webcam and overlays and built-in live commentary, the HD does not.

Piping a console through the Elgato HD messes with the screen's colour profiles, which takes tweaking to get close to right...though it never quite gets there. That might be due to me using a HDMI switcher so I can swap between PS3, PS4, XB1 and 360.

Nutshell version...you lose an input on the HD60, but you get live-streaming bells and whistles.

• If you want to record and edit your video before uploading, natively support the PS3 on the device, or don't care about webcam overlays or live commentary (can probably be added via Twitch / YouTube), go with the HD.
  • If you want the convenience of livestream with overlay and commentary on-device, but can sacrifice native PS3 support (there is a workaround), get the HD60.
  • If you want to livestream to Twitch, edit your videos and upload to YouTube for free, get a PS4.
Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

Well, I ended up going for the Elgato HD because I wanna stream from my PS3 more than anything, I streamed on the PS$ last night and it was perfect. However, I've ran into a problem which I haven't been able to fix and I was wondering if any body here has any experience streaming PS3 gameplay to Twitch? I'm using XSplit Gamecaster, when I click on "Open Console Viewer" all I get is a blank screen on both the laptop and TV. I tried to correct it for most of the day but I've almost given up, any solutions? I get the feeling it's something simple >< 

Well, I ended up going for the Elgato HD because I wanna stream from my PS3 more than anything, I streamed on the PS$ last night and it was perfect. However, I've ran into a problem which I haven't been able to fix and I was wondering if any body here has any experience streaming PS3 gameplay to Twitch? I'm using XSplit Gamecaster, when I click on "Open Console Viewer" all I get is a blank screen on both the laptop and TV. I tried to correct it for most of the day but I've almost given up, any solutions? I get the feeling it's something simple >< 

Get the Game Capture HD app working. You can livestream to Twitch and plug a mic into your PC / Mac for commentary - http://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/1020242-live-streaming-and-elgato-game-capture-hd. I'm assuming you can stick a webcam into there via Twitch, but I haven't researched the option.

Once that's confirmed as working, try some of these links for XSplit - 

https://support.xsplit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=26775

https://support.xsplit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=17625

https://twitchtips.com/xsplit-setup/

• Like 1

Thanks for the help! I actually managed to get it working. It took a while, I sent back the Elgato and bought a HD PVR Rocket. I thought the Elgato may have been the problem, thought it might have been faulty, so I decided to get the rocket instead, I had heard good things about it. I got my PS4 streaming, but I have to connect the PS4 to my main computer since my laptop was terrible, fps was 17 whereas my comp is 60.  The quality is pretty damn good, very pleased with it. 

I'm still struggling with the PS3 though, it just won't work for me. 

• Like 1

Beware Elgato HD60 can't record PS3.

It can, but you need a HDMI splitter with HDCP stripping.

This is the one to get - http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Port-Powered-Splitter-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt. Both outputs need to be plugged-in to scramble the signal and bypass HDCP - one to your capture device, the other to your TV.

I have a Game Capture HD, not the HD60, so I don't need a splitter. I've bought a ViewHD as an experiment to see if I can pipe 5 consoles via a HDMI switch, through the splitter, then onto a Bravia 32" HDTV and my Elgato HD. The Elgato pipes out to my iMac. Everything sits on my desktop.

I don't like the video output of the Elgato HD to my TV (it messes with the colour settings too much), so the splitter will take care of that by viewing the console's HDMI feed direct on the TV while allowing the Elgato to record at the same time on my iMac.

I've got 4 out of 5 consoles (PS4, 360, XB1 & Wii U) working with a different HDMI splitter, but the PS3 is being stubborn about HDCP (oddly the PS4 is not, even with HDCP enabled), hence the ViewHD purchase.

I'll confirm if it all works...or not.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

you didnt answer:

are you trying to record PS3 via HDMI?

For some laptops with hdmi input but if none you are going to use the audio video cable plus easycap and uled video software. There are some resolution adjustments in your laptop same with your ps3.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the Elgato HD gets the majority vote here, and for good reason too. Its versatile nature any only using USB for data back to a computer gives it a clean advantage.

The Hauppauge HD PVR Rocket is another great shout out, and it does feature 'portable' recording. (Although, if you're forced to use the Hauppauge software I suspect it'll be a headache, I know it was for me :/ )

I took a regretful route with my streaming and recording setup, although in actual raw quality it's a second-to-none method. I use a PCIe based capture card within a computer with a HDCP strip setup.

A lot of cabling and a lot more expensive, but, it does the job and I'm futureproof'd. (Although are looking at the Elgato HD or other 'USB' based capture cards for future projects)

Video over HDMI, sound over SPDIF/Optical.

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html

Edited by Takara