The Last of Us: Left Behind to be released as a standalone game

Naughty Dog has announced they will be releasing The Last of Us: Left Behind as a standalone game on May 12 in both North America and Europe for $9.99/€9.99/£7.99. The DLC version will see a price reduction. It also includes a two hour trial of the Factions Multiplayer mode.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/01/the-last-of-us-left-behind-available-as-standalone-download-may-12th/

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/05/01/last-us-left-behind-launches-standalone-download-month/

Seriously, what the fuck?! :facepalm: To my understanding, there's heavy spoilers for The Last of Us and it may be harder to understand without playing the main game. Also, can you say cash grab?

Edited by ShadowStar83x
  • Like 1

This is just absolute ridiculous, BLATANT CASHGRAB, Really one of the worst moves imo by Naughty dog, seriously this and all dlcs was only recently released in the PS4 version and plus the dlc has been available for a while on PS3.

• Like 3

To those calling cash grab - is that not what the release of The Last of Us was in the first place?  Isn't the release of the console a cash grab?

Aside from wanting profit from Naughty Dog this year as their titan has been pushed into 2016, I think Left Behind is very able to stand on its own two legs.  Playing the Last of Us or the Left Behind in either order neither benefits nor hinders the player in my opinion; and for those on the fence about the full retail game, a reduced cost appetiser might be enough to swing them into buying the main course.

Releasing something as a standalone isn't a new concept, if anything this is Sony catching up with a precedent that is very sensible and should have been standalone upon release.

• Like 1

It's weird how people can turn so quickly on company for making cash with practices they don't like. The Last of Us only was released in June 2013 and has gotten 3 releases in about 1 year and 11 months. If a company sees something popular they're going to monetize it and hope it sells. 

Almost everyone is calling it a cash grab, but who the hell is this even targeting? How is this going to bring them significantly more revenue? Pointless, yes. Shameless cash grab, I'm not so convinced. My reaction to this is that it's non-news. Doesn't really affect anything. If anything, just makes Left Behind slightly cheaper if one doesn't mind purchasing it separately from the main game.

• Like 1

Playing the Last of Us or the Left Behind in either order neither benefits nor hinders the player in my opinion; and for those on the fence about the full retail game, a reduced cost appetiser might be enough to swing them into buying the main course.

Might need to refresh my own memory, but Left Behind takes place (flashbacks aside) directly in the middle of the events in the main game.  I mean... yeah, you won't be completely floored by anything that happens (as good as the story is, it's not complicated)... but you'll have no idea why they are where they are, why they're doing what they're doing, etc.  I swear somewhere the game even warns you to finish the main game before playing the DLC.  I guess it's always possible they add a few minutes more of backstory and context to the standalone to catch people up...

That being said, I don't know why any of you are complaining.  Probably just means another 100% or platinum, and another reason to play this great game again. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Really stupid, I'm pretty sure if you had the season pass on PS3 you got Left Behind and it's included on Remastered. 

Seems harsh.  Is there really a problem with developers making their games as accessible as possible?  Even if only a few people actually buy this, it costs them virtually nothing to repackage and distribute digitally, and the handful of people who have never played or owned The Last of Us before get a fantastic introduction to the game at a fraction of the cost.

That being said, since it's on the PS4, if someone loved the DLC so much they got the main game... they're essentially buying Left Behind twice.  Which is... eh... tacky on Naughty Dog's part.  Release a cheaper standalone PS4 copy of the main game along with this, and we'll be in business.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

Might need to refresh my own memory, but Left Behind takes place (flashbacks aside) directly in the middle of the events in the main game.  I mean... yeah, you won't be completely floored by anything that happens (as good as the story is, it's not complicated)... but you'll have no idea why they are where they are, why they're doing what they're doing, etc.  I swear somewhere the game even warns you to finish the main game before playing the DLC.  I guess it's always possible they add a few minutes more of backstory and context to the standalone to catch people up...

That being said, I don't know why any of you are complaining.  Probably just means another 100% or platinum, and another reason to play this great game again. ;)

You are correct, it does - but as far as we're concerned the story is as simple as get medicine for Joel.  The framing is irrelevant compared to the main point of the DLC being Ellie and Riley's interactions.  Looking at it on its head, when we played The Last of Us on release - we were given the morsel "my friend and I got bit, she died I didn't" and that was enough.  Same here - we'll be told Joel is injured, really doesn't matter why.  To be honest - I would place a wager that the only reason they place it where it is in terms of the main story is so there is something to fight.  It would be far too brave to release something without combat in.

I agree with the sentiment that more of a good thing can't possibly be bad - especially considering that it is a Sony property and will definitely show as a PS+ offering not too far from its release.