"Problem" with physical copies

harsly

I like that option - if at some point in the future the digital price comes down to a low enough price you may want to replace with a digital copy - since those are a bit more convenient and keep your disc reader from burning out

• Like 1

I like that option - if at some point in the future the digital price comes down to a low enough price you may want to replace with a digital copy - since those are a bit more convenient and keep your disc reader from burning out

I think this is also the reason why Sony implemented this feature.

since those are a bit more convenient and keep your disc reader from burning out

Why worry about the disc reader wearing if you barely use it :)

I still think it's kinda funny to get a Buy option on a game you own, but if other people find it useful I'm completely ok with it. Cheers

• Like 1

I think it would be abused as I could borrow all my friend's games for a day, install them all and then download them for free on the store. A more plausible option would be to include a code for a digital copy of the game you bought, but even that could hurt the sales as many people would sell it or give it away. 

• Like 3

When you install a game from a blu ray disk when you buy a physical copy, it still says Buy __€

I don't think I'm the only one thats annoyed by this, it's not a big problem but still, why?

Its not really a problem, but it bothers me to see the Buy option on a game i own...now what really pisses me off is HAVING purchased the digital version and IT STILL SAYS BUY! 

• Like 1

Its not really a problem, but it bothers me to see the Buy option on a game i own...now what really pisses me off is HAVING purchased the digital version and IT STILL SAYS BUY! 

You can fix this - I had the same problem. You need to do a database restore (I don't remember how to do one though, it was ages ago).

With all the money you save purchasing physical copies (either day one then reselling, or waiting for retail sales/used copies), you can probably afford to re-purchase a new PS4 every few years, in the unlikely event that the disc drive does burn out.

• Like 4

With all the money you save purchasing physical copies (either day one then reselling, or waiting for retail sales/used copies), you can probably afford to re-purchase a new PS4 every few years, in the unlikely event that the disc drive does burn out.

Thats probably true, though less if you are a dayone purchaser - but dont kid yourself about 'the unlikely event' - im on my 5th PS3 now, all from disc reader errors!

Thats probably true, though less if you are a dayone purchaser - but dont kid yourself about 'the unlikely event' - im on my 5th PS3 now, all from disc reader errors!

Wow, you have either had bad luck, or are really hard on your consoles!

I have 3 PS3's, 2 are currently operating regularly. My launch day 80 gig model has been retired - I did a heat sink repair so it works, but not well/reliably. Still, I got good service out of it, so no complaints :)

Now Xbox360's, that's a different story altogether. Have a reasonable graveyard of them in my basement. :P

This is not a "problem". It is an intended feature.

Sony never has and never will be obligated to track physical installs.

Some games even have 2 payment options, depending on available versions.

• Like 2

The PS3 is known for being a pretty sturdy system. Either the place you're getting them from is giving you messed up systems or its on how hard you push the system. 5 PS3s is not normal.

The PS3 is known for being a pretty sturdy system. Either the place you're getting them from is giving you messed up systems or its on how hard you push the system. 5 PS3s is not normal.

You should fix your avatar the image is broken, its messing up the front page of the forum. Looks horrible.

This is not a "problem". It is an intended feature.

Sony never has and never will be obligated to track physical installs.

Some games even have 2 payment options, depending on available versions.

Wasn't this essentially what MS tried to implement by blocking used games? I understood that the physical copy was essentially going to be a key to d/l the digital version. May be I misunderstood, but I don't think that worked very well.

Call me uptight, but I actually do mind seeing something suggesting that I should buy a game I already own, it could easily be dealt with in another way.

I think it would be abused as I could borrow all my friend's games for a day, install them all and then download them for free on the store. A more plausible option would be to include a code for a digital copy of the game you bought, but even that could hurt the sales as many people would sell it or give it away. 

If you install a game from a disc, it doesn't mean that you can download it from the Store, and I'm not saying Sony should remove the option to buy a digital version of a game if you own the physical copy, I'm saying that they should remove the Buy option from the overview of your owned and installed game.

Call me uptight, but I actually do mind seeing something suggesting that I should buy a game I already own, it could easily be dealt with in another way.

If you install a game from a disc, it doesn't mean that you can download it from the Store, and I'm not saying Sony should remove the option to buy a digital version of a game if you own the physical copy, I'm saying that they should remove the Buy option from the overview of your owned and installed game.

But I don't know what you would achieve with that. I mean it's like having a book or a CD and seeing the option to buy it digitally, it shouldn't be a problem... Think of it in reverse. It is like saying that retailers hid games you bought digitally everytime you enter a store, doesn't make much sense, does it?

I disagree. PS discounts are wonderful, specially with Plus, which gives you 5-ish games every month. Also Flash sales are ocasionally really good. Deals under $1, under $5. As a person not living in the USA, but with an USA account, I find digital is so much cheaper than physical. 

I disagree. PS discounts are wonderful, specially with Plus, which gives you 5-ish games every month. Also Flash sales are ocasionally really good. Deals under $1, under $5. As a person not living in the USA, but with an USA account, I find digital is so much cheaper than physical. 

Not exactly a direct comparison. Many of the Plus titles and discounts are for digital only games. I would agree, Plus is a bargain.

It is also not fair to compare retail prices in Bolivia to digital prices in US. I mean, it is cheaper for me to buy a UK game digitally with my UK account than it is to import it to Canada, but that still doesn't mean digital is cheaper in general.

If we are looking at standard AAA digital and retail games, I cannot think of many occasions where the digital version was cheaper, certainly not near or at launch. For every one instance of a great flash sale, there are hundreds of examples of the digital version being priced at 2-3x the going retail rate.

• Like 1

I sure am glad I don't have OCD as bad as the OP or Angel Fan. I certainly don't spend enough time in the Playstation Store to care about these kinds of things.

When you install a game from a blu ray disk when you buy a physical copy, it still says Buy __€

I don't think I'm the only one thats annoyed by this, it's not a big problem but still, why?

How does Sony know that you purchased and own it? I have borrowed a fair number of games and installed them, doesn't mean they're mine. Once I give the disc back, what if I decided I wanted to purchase it digitally? Should I then not be allowed to see the option because I installed it once? What about rentals you may want to purchase after you return it?

If you think about all kinds of scenarios aside from the one you have in mind, it wouldn't make sense to expect what you do. 

Not exactly a direct comparison. Many of the Plus titles and discounts are for digital only games. I would agree, Plus is a bargain.

It is also not fair to compare retail prices in Bolivia to digital prices in US. I mean, it is cheaper for me to buy a UK game digitally with my UK account than it is to import it to Canada, but that still doesn't mean digital is cheaper in general.

If we are looking at standard AAA digital and retail games, I cannot think of many occasions where the digital version was cheaper, certainly not near or at launch. For every one instance of a great flash sale, there are hundreds of examples of the digital version being priced at 2-3x the going retail rate.

I agree with you completely. At launch digital games are madly expensive. What I meant was on the long run, many games get cheaper than their physical copies. For example this week you could get Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon and Far Cry HD for $20, which you normally would get for $45. While Far Cry 3 alone is between $6-$8 without shipping on eBay, and the collection (Wild Expedition) is almost $50 and no shipping as well. See normally it is more expensive to buy digital, but when these sales come along, you get good value for your money.