Uncharted: Is Drake really a hero or a sociopathic murderer?

Drake saves mankind from having curses or famine released onto the world by some terrorist or lunatic and we question if he is a hero or a sociopath? Please, he obviously doesn't do it for fun or some sick thrills.

This argument works 10X better on Joel from TLOU.... Just saying

I never understand why Nathan Drake specifically is always accused of this when it can be applied to almost any video game protagonist not clearly defined as a criminal  who has to kill human enemies in order to progress through the game. If Nate is a deranged murderous psychopath than so is Lara Croft, Ezio Auditore or Adam Jensen.

My personal thoughts on Drake are that he has heavy commitment issues based on his break up with Elena between 1&2 and subsequent failed marriage between 2&3. He is afraid to settle down so to escape from his real problems he purposely throws himself into these highly dangerous situations with little regard for his own life. Clearly he's been running from reality for a long time, especially if it's true that Drake was just a name he picked for himself, reinventing himself as the descendant of the famous explorer Sir Francis Drake and becoming near obsessed with his legacy to the point of stealing his ring on the (correct) hunch that there was more to his history than met the eye.

By the end of Uncharted 3 though it seemed like he's for the most part managed to see just how destructive his behaviour was seeing his own obsession cause him to very nearly lose everyone around him (Poor relationship with Elena, Cutter breaking his leg, Chloe being so afraid that she chose to walk away, Sully being kidnapped and seemingly later being killed) and would appear to have finally decided to give up the fortune hunters life in order to try and make things work with Elena. Of course now in 4 the sudden return of his brother Sam is gonna pull him back into that dangerous world for 'one last job' but the question is will it bring him back into a downward spiral of thrillseeking escapism and how will it affect the people in his life?

I never understand why Nathan Drake specifically is always accused of this when it can be applied to almost any video game protagonist not clearly defined as a criminal  who has to kill human enemies in order to progress through the game. If Nate is a deranged murderous psychopath than so is Lara Croft, Ezio Auditore or Adam Jensen.

My personal thoughts on Drake are that he has heavy commitment issues based on his break up with Elena between 1&2 and subsequent failed marriage between 2&3. He is afraid to settle down so to escape from his real problems he purposely throws himself into these highly dangerous situations with little regard for his own life. Clearly he's been running from reality for a long time, especially if it's true that Drake was just a name he picked for himself, reinventing himself as the descendant of the famous explorer Sir Francis Drake and becoming near obsessed with his legacy to the point of stealing his ring on the (correct) hunch that there was more to his history than met the eye.

By the end of Uncharted 3 though it seemed like he's for the most part managed to see just how destructive his behaviour was seeing his own obsession cause him to very nearly lose everyone around him (Poor relationship with Elena, Cutter breaking his leg, Chloe being so afraid that she chose to walk away, Sully being kidnapped and seemingly later being killed) and would appear to have finally decided to give up the fortune hunters life in order to try and make things work with Elena. Of course now in 4 the sudden return of his brother Sam is gonna pull him back into that dangerous world for 'one last job' but the question is will it bring him back into a downward spiral of thrillseeking escapism and how will it affect the people in his life?

I like this answer. I like it a lot. Uncharted has some deeply serious themes beneath all the jaunty fun to be had. You hit the nail on the head with this.

lol calling drake a serial killer.. He doesn't say to himself, "hmm how many guys am I going to kill today." He gets into situations that spiral out of control, and in the end has to kill people who are trying to kill him. None of which are innocent. Treasure hunting is a dangerous game for sure, but Drake isn't a serial killer for defending himself. You want to look at sociopaths, look at the bad guys out to kill him... Those are your serial killer types. Drake is the action hero of the series....

lol calling drake a serial killer.. He doesn't say to himself, "hmm how many guys am I going to kill today." He gets into situations that spiral out of control, and in the end has to kill people who are trying to kill him. None of which are innocent. Treasure hunting is a dangerous game for sure, but Drake isn't a serial killer for defending himself. You want to look at sociopaths, look at the bad guys out to kill him... Those are your serial killer types. Drake is the action hero of the series....

And then you have the people trying to defend the bad guys, saying they're just doing their job or they have families. lol what job? To kill a guy trying to stop the baddies from destroying humanity with forces beyond their control? Drake did nothing to these guys and they try to kill him anyway lol If they honestly gave a shit about their families, they wouldn't be helping a psychopath try to conquer the planet xD

Edited by AnimeDreama

PerosnallI think he's more of heroic rogue.  You know he'll do the right thing in the end but by large all of his actions are driven by his ego and selfish nature.  I mean any normal sane person would decide to call it quits when dudes with guns start shooting at them.   Furthermore Nate's never really innocent in any of the games I mean he's  breaking into museums and other historical sites and in the first game when the pirates attack and Ellen asks if they should call for help and he's like we're not really suppose to be here.  So not really a hero but definitly not a serial kller.

Maybe he is just wounding the enemys, by shooting exactly on not deadly points.  Like in Dynasty Warriors , you run around with great sword -> atack all enemy , and it still says 1500 K.O.s ^_^.  You can survive headshots ... maybe he is just a genius.

Edited by Xionx

There is little honour in stealing for personal benefit, if you do decide to steal do it for a noble cause. Greed, is not one of them

I don't think personal benefit is Drakes primary motivations for his actions. Apart from the reasons I already stated early in this thread, I feel like Drake is more interested in the mystery and historical value of what he's getting himself into. Any time he manages to figure something out he gets very excited and breaks into a big speech on the history behind what he's about to explain that often annoys his more money focused companions like Sully and Chloe who'd rather he just get to the point.

The only two things we really see him steal are Francis Drake's ring and the lamp from Marco Polo's voyage both of which hold little value in themselves but do pertain to larger historical mysteries. Everything else is recovered from places where people are long dead or taken from the far more immoral enemies he faces. Drake is not a saint but I think his motivations are fairly pure and he certainly has the moral high ground over his enemies.

I don't think personal benefit is Drakes primary motivations for his actions. Apart from the reasons I already stated early in this thread, I feel like Drake is more interested in the mystery and historical value of what he's getting himself into. Any time he manages to figure something out he gets very excited and breaks into a big speech on the history behind what he's about to explain that often annoys his more money focused companions like Sully and Chloe who'd rather he just get to the point.

The only two things we really see him steal are Francis Drake's ring and the lamp from Marco Polo's voyage both of which hold little value in themselves but do pertain to larger historical mysteries. Everything else is recovered from places where people are long dead or taken from the far more immoral enemies he faces. Drake is not a saint but I think his motivations are fairly pure and he certainly has the moral high ground over his enemies.

This, and he didn't even steal the lamp - he destroyed it in order to find the clue to Marco Polo's lost fleet. Honestly. the more I think about it, the more I realize that in the end, Drake doesn't even give a shit about striking it big - he'd rather find the light at the end of the tunnel, for lack of a better analogy. I mean think about it, literally the only time he ever walked away from an expedition rich was at the end of Drake's Fortune, and it wasn't even him who found the treasure - it was Sully.

• Like 1