PS4 won't be Digital Download only

Lady Lilith

Honestly though, I only notice a real difference when the PC is of very high performance. Most mid range PC's look just like our consoles (to me anyways) so while PC's can look better than consoles most look the same or extremely similar.

I'd hate to have to upgrade my consoles. The whole reason I prefer consoles over PC's is because I know with 100% certainty that when I pop that disc in I'll be able to play the game no matter what. I won't have to fiddle with graphical settings or options, I just sit down and play. I'd rather have the ease of that and the significantly lower price than the graphics a PC can put out. Or maybe Sony can take something from Nintendo's book and bring out something like the Expansion pack the N64 had. :awesome:

Parker

That's my biggest reason for not being a big PC gamer. However I don't see Sony doing an expansion pack like the 64DD or the Sega machines. They tried that route once with the HDD for the PS2 and that didn't work to well for them.

Hmm, very good point, and I can see what you mean. I personally hate that we have to install games. If blu-ray's have 50G why do we have to install a game? That makes no sense, and the nex-gen should eliminate that altogether.

As stated by mjc, it's all about the flow of data. One additional issue w/ the 360 is the storage media. Although the read times for the DVD are faster than the Blu-Ray, the amount of data able to be stored on the disc is about 1/4 (rough estimate) of what Sony has available to it for the BR disc.

Next-gen should follow in the 360's footsteps and allow you to do a full install of every single game you put in the console if you want. I hate long load times and noisy disc drives.

Although this might work for the current gen of systems, you can expect the next-gen games to have 2-5x more data programmed into them which means exceptionally large data packages. If you have to install all of the game, for every game, you are going to need a massive HDD or be constantly shuffling game data to keep your system current with your play library. Look at the current gen issues now with a large part of the 4-5 year owners who are now looking to expand their HDD size for possibly the 2nd time because of memory restrictions. Perhaps once SSD hard drives progress they will become more efficient and able to store more than what is now possible, however, 1T drives are the largest reliable size drives considered by most industry experts.

What is even worse is that the majority of "high speed" is at the bottom of the transfer speed barrel. The only thing that is available in my area are speeds barely fast enough to meet the minimum requirements to be able to get the PS3 online.

Right now the big focus, at least for the telecommunication companies, is all about the Wi-Fi 4G cell networks. No big surprise since it's cheaper to put up new cell towers or upgrade existing ones rather than run fiber-optics. Probably when they get around to utilizing the old analog TV frequencies, that will be the new method of broadband distribution for the home networks.

I suppose it's the flipside to having such a large country - here in my tiny little island we've come a long way in laying fiber optics down across the country, which we've been able to do because we're so densely populated. Hope it improves for small-town America though, I wouldn't wish slow internet on anyone. :(

I suppose it's the flipside to having such a large country - here in my tiny little island we've come a long way in laying fiber optics down across the country, which we've been able to do because we're so densely populated. Hope it improves for small-town America though, I wouldn't wish slow internet on anyone. :(

http://www.techspot.com/news/45566-us-ranked-26th-in-global-internet-speed-south-korea-number-one.html

US ranked 26th in global Internet speed, South Korea number one.

The United States ranks 26th in a recent report concerning global Internet speed. Such a ranking puts the US slightly ahead of the world average at 616KBps, according to Pando Networks.

Absolutely pathetic

Well, I know you can increase the HDD space on your PS3 ( I heard up to 1 TB ), so maybe the future gen will have enough space automatically to not have to worry about big installations!

I'm hoping Sony will release their next system with a minimum of 500gb. I've completely filled my 320gb drive and am upgrading to a 1TB drive soon but with installation sizes increasing all the time HDD's need to get bigger. My 60gb launch system has been filled for years now and I can;t even imagine the people that bought the 20gb systems.

Parker

I'm hoping Sony will release their next system with a minimum of 500gb. I've completely filled my 320gb drive and am upgrading to a 1TB drive soon but with installation sizes increasing all the time HDD's need to get bigger. My 60gb launch system has been filled for years now and I can;t even imagine the people that bought the 20gb systems.

Parker

Amen to that! I had a 40 G at first.....lol I mean yeah right, my parents thought there was no way I would need anything more than that ;P !!! Upgraded to the 120G I am almost out of space and constantly have to delete data and games.

I just get a big chuckle every time I read this thread. In 1993 I had a 40MG hard drive running a Commodore 64 BBS and it was the largest HDD in the entire Tidewater area. The funny thing is that I paid $400 for it, and that was a bargain.

trip down memory lane over...carry on

Although this might work for the current gen of systems, you can expect the next-gen games to have 2-5x more data programmed into them which means exceptionally large data packages. If you have to install all of the game, for every game, you are going to need a massive HDD or be constantly shuffling game data to keep your system current with your play library. Look at the current gen issues now with a large part of the 4-5 year owners who are now looking to expand their HDD size for possibly the 2nd time because of memory restrictions. Perhaps once SSD hard drives progress they will become more efficient and able to store more than what is now possible, however, 1T drives are the largest reliable size drives considered by most industry experts.
...Don't see how any of this is relevant to my desire for optional installs. Those who want to spare the money to buy a bigger hard drive and the time to install their games can do so, and those who don't can play off the disc. Again, I want to stress: optional.

Sadly, if everyone goes to blu-ray discs next gen (and I don't see why they won't: Nintendo is going to use their version of one for Wii U, just like they did with their version of a DVD for Wii and their version of whatever the GameCube disc was that I don't care enough about to look up, Sony has no reason not to, and Microsoft had better come up with a damn good cost effective alternative if they want to not use it), we probably won't get that option. It'll probably be the mess we currently have on PS3 where some games force an install because the devs don't want their game to run from the disc.

I just get a big chuckle every time I read this thread. In 1993 I had a 40MG hard drive running a Commodore 64 BBS and it was the largest HDD in the entire Tidewater area. The funny thing is that I paid $400 for it, and that was a bargain.

vintage_computer_ads_73.jpg

xD

Aside from the fast broadband connection you would need for a smooth experience it would also cancel out any chance of PS3 games running on the console. This news makes the chance of our game collections running on the PS4 a little better :yay:

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy with this cause even though I get a good connection in canada we get raped for pricing on bandwidth, so I dont like downloading lots of big games. I have friends that wont pay over 20 gigs of bandwidth, and ratchet all 4 one is a 14 gig file... however we splurge a little here so I could download it 5 times over and still be fine but thats not the point!

I never thought at all that the PS4 would be digital download only, at least not after the PSP Go (which I believe was nothing more than a test). Besides, my internet speed is shit and takes me at least 3 hours to download 1 GB. Try full games with 5-20 GB. Still, some is better than none I suppose, unless none is less irritating.

Edited by K9_Rage

• 1 month later...