PS4 won't be Digital Download only

Lady Lilith

Many people still don't have access to the bare bones high speed interweb at all. The majority of the country (USA) still relies on dial-up.

Holy crap. I didn't know it was that bad.

Even for me, it takes like half an hour to an hour to download a PS2 Classic (and those aren't even close to the size of PS3 games), so I can imagine how long it can take with slow connections. Heck, it took all night to download PS2 games on my old connection.

Just before my old FAT PS3 died, it took me about 14 hours to download inFamous: Festival of Blood which was a little over 3GB. I've since got a Slim and a better internet connection but it would still take me around a hour to download the same game now.

Well this is good to hear especially considering how internet is in Australia especially with stupid caps and then you have the low average speed and well a download only system wouldn't do well here, I'd think.

Personally though the main thing for me is I can have my physical game collection instead of owning just a license to a downloaded game that could eventually become impossible to re-download after some time, I can also still import instead of being hit with the stupid game pricing that we have here.

This is an excellent decision! It is worth noting however, that Sony is rumored to start using a cloud for games and all other downloads. I really like this idea as there would be no more downloading!!! Nevertheless, I don't want a PS4 till holiday season 2014. That is when I believe the new PS4 will arive. Usually systems are announced a year before they are released at E3, and since neither Sony or Microsoft are announcing a console this year, I believe they will announce one at 2013's E3.

If the PlayStation 4 was download only Sony, for the first time, probably wouldn't get a sale from me. My internet just isn't fast enough for me to be comfortable with a digital only system plus I love having huge collections of physical media. My wife on the other hand would LOVE a digital only system. :lol:

Parker

im so happy about this because that way i dont get ripped off and lose all my games if my system breaks for whatever reason

To be fair, that wouldn't happen anyways. Right now if my HDD corrupted on my PS3 and I lost everything, when I got another HDD and signed into my account I would still have all my digital games, I'd just have to re-download them. It's be a huge pain in the ass though, especially with my internet.

Parker

im so happy about this because that way i dont get ripped off and lose all my games if my system breaks for whatever reason

Except the PS3 lets you redownload the games as many times as you want, unlike Nintendo. So the PS4 probably will as well, since it uses PSN.

Except the PS3 lets you redownload the games as many times as you want, unlike Nintendo. So the PS4 probably will as well, since it uses PSN.

i did not know this since i never buy my games from PSN lol even though i now know this i still dont want download only i dont trust electronics even if it is the playstation and not the xbox

Many people still don't have access to the bare bones high speed interweb at all. The majority of the country (USA) still relies on dial-up.

Surprisingly, you're actually correct.

Statistics for those who are interested (source):

Of 310,232,863 citizens, 239,893,600 (77.3%) have internet, yet only 69,902,289 have broadband, meaning that only 29.1% of internet users have broadband.

Wow, the US confuses me sometimes.

Surprisingly, you're actually correct.

Statistics for those who are interested (source):

Of 310,232,863 citizens, 239,893,600 (77.3%) have internet, yet only 69,902,289 have broadband, meaning that only 29.1% of internet users have broadband.

Wow, the US confuses me sometimes.

What is even worse is that the majority of "high speed" is at the bottom of the transfer speed barrel. The only thing that is available in my area are speeds barely fast enough to meet the minimum requirements to be able to get the PS3 online.

Right now the big focus, at least for the telecommunication companies, is all about the Wi-Fi 4G cell networks. No big surprise since it's cheaper to put up new cell towers or upgrade existing ones rather than run fiber-optics. Probably when they get around to utilizing the old analog TV frequencies, that will be the new method of broadband distribution for the home networks.

Hmmm, after watching E3, it really does not seem like we will see consoles till at least 2014. Both Sony and Microsoft seem content with the systems they currently have, and why blame them? They are still selling well, and there are so many awesome games still coming out! :D

Hmmm, after watching E3, it really does not seem like we will see consoles till at least 2014. Both Sony and Microsoft seem content with the systems they currently have, and why blame them? They are still selling well, and there are so many awesome games still coming out! :D

Exactly. I'm extremely happy there was no mention of a new PlayStation or Nextbox. They both have a lot of life left it seems and developers for each system keep making better and better games for us to enjoy. I was worried for a little bit that Sony and Microsoft were going to try and push their consoles out to steal form steam from the WiiU but thankfully they seem to have realized the core market isn't terribly interested with Nintendo right now. 2014 seems like a good release for the next generation systems.

Parker

Exactly. I'm extremely happy there was no mention of a new PlayStation or Nextbox. They both have a lot of life left it seems and developers for each system keep making better and better games for us to enjoy. I was worried for a little bit that Sony and Microsoft were going to try and push their consoles out to steal form steam from the WiiU but thankfully they seem to have realized the core market isn't terribly interested with Nintendo right now. 2014 seems like a good release for the next generation systems.

Parker

Haha, Nextbox, that sounds funny! I do hope that we don't get consoles till 2014, but at the same time the gap between the PC's graphics and the current consoles is growing ever wider. The Unreal Engine 4 looks incredible, and the graphical difference between BF3 PC and BF3 PS3 was clearly evident.

It is just too bad they can't just make simply a "Playstation" or an "Xbox" that is constantly upgradable just like PC's!

Haha, Nextbox, that sounds funny! I do hope that we don't get consoles till 2014, but at the same time the gap between the PC's graphics and the current consoles is growing ever wider. The Unreal Engine 4 looks incredible, and the graphical difference between BF3 PC and BF3 PS3 was clearly evident.

It is just too bad they can't just make simply a "Playstation" or an "Xbox" that is constantly upgradable just like PC's!

Honestly though, I only notice a real difference when the PC is of very high performance. Most mid range PC's look just like our consoles (to me anyways) so while PC's can look better than consoles most look the same or extremely similar.

I'd hate to have to upgrade my consoles. The whole reason I prefer consoles over PC's is because I know with 100% certainty that when I pop that disc in I'll be able to play the game no matter what. I won't have to fiddle with graphical settings or options, I just sit down and play. I'd rather have the ease of that and the significantly lower price than the graphics a PC can put out. Or maybe Sony can take something from Nintendo's book and bring out something like the Expansion pack the N64 had. :awesome:

Parker

• Like 1

Honestly though, I only notice a real difference when the PC is of very high performance. Most mid range PC's look just like our consoles (to me anyways) so while PC's can look better than consoles most look the same or extremely similar.

I'd hate to have to upgrade my consoles. The whole reason I prefer consoles over PC's is because I know with 100% certainty that when I pop that disc in I'll be able to play the game no matter what. I won't have to fiddle with graphical settings or options, I just sit down and play. I'd rather have the ease of that and the significantly lower price than the graphics a PC can put out. Or maybe Sony can take something from Nintendo's book and bring out something like the Expansion pack the N64 had. :awesome:

Parker

Hmm, very good point, and I can see what you mean. I personally hate that we have to install games. If blu-ray's have 50G why do we have to install a game? That makes no sense, and the nex-gen should eliminate that altogether.

Don't need any crap from The Wall Street Journal to know that. All one needs is common sense. With a digital only console, they can't sell to as many parts of the world as they do now. Digital only consoles lock out a lot of customers in markets they can still sell in because not everyone has a great internet connection. Digital only would be shooting themselves in the foot, and no company (especially one like Sony that's bleeding money lately) wants to do that.

Hmm, very good point, and I can see what you mean. I personally hate that we have to install games. If blu-ray's have 50G why do we have to install a game? That makes no sense, and the nex-gen should eliminate that altogether.

Because read times are faster from a hard drive than they are from a blu-ray disc. Installs can cut down on load times because of this. Also, not having to run the disc drive keeps things cooler and quieter as that's one less system component making noise and generating heat.

Next-gen should follow in the 360's footsteps and allow you to do a full install of every single game you put in the console if you want. I hate long load times and noisy disc drives.