Disc problems

UPAxGUNxGRAVE

Better than PSN shutting down and all those digital games you bought being unplayable.

Paranoid much bro? I can still play my games when PSN is down, just can't play online, just like you. You need to take the tinfoil hat off bro, not having to switch discs is a thing of beauty. If I want to switch to a new game it happens in seconds. 

Paranoid much bro? I can still play my games when PSN is down, just can't play online, just like you. You need to take the tinfoil hat off bro, not having to switch discs is a thing of beauty. If I want to switch to a new game it happens in seconds. 

It also takes seconds to open a case and shove in a disc.

• Like 1

It also takes seconds to open a case and shove in a disc.

Agreed.

You can also resell it, if you want to.

You can also let a friend borrow it whenever you want.

You can also play it immediately without waiting for a 20GB+ download on Sony's servers (which are ironically as slow as 1999 speeds).

You can also continue playing it if your account gets hacked/banned.

Digital is a joke.  There's no overhead to speak of: no disc, no product, no buyers needed, no vendors needed, no reps, no anything.  You're not even buying anything, you're paying full price to borrow a revokable license.  Digital should be half the price of a retail disc yet its usually MORE expensive.  Once a game has been out a month you can get the disc version cheaper, and a year later its still the same day one price digitally.  Great deal... or I guess it is for Sony.  But seeing as how most people buy games at full price, play them for an hour or two, then never touch them again, the digital model is perfect... for the seller.  But it's ok, discs take time to switch, also gotta get up off the couch.  Wouldn't want a generation where 2/3 of people are obese to have to burn a few calories standing up and walking 10 feet.  No wonder everyone's switching to a digital model, making people put down the cheetos to get up and change a disc is a huge risk, you may lose your clientele to a heart attack brought on by excessive strain from doing slightly more than nothing.

• Like 1

^ All valid points, I guess it comes down to personal opinion. I prefer digital over physical.

Resell value is very minimal at best ,

True about lending to a friend but no personal gain if I cant

I've always found the sonys servers  pretty fast for downloads. Would easily download 20gb in a night.

I've had my account since 2007 and had no issues with hacks/bans.

I like switching games with a press of a few buttons from the comfort of my couch.

Resell value is very minimal at best

Resell value is actually quite high in some cases. Especially with 'in demand' games, if you complete them quick you can usually get over half of your initial outlay back straight away.

You will never get a penny back from your digital versions.

Edited by Haysi_Fantayzee

Agreed.

You can also resell it, if you want to.

You can also let a friend borrow it whenever you want.

You can also play it immediately without waiting for a 20GB+ download on Sony's servers (which are ironically as slow as 1999 speeds).

You can also continue playing it if your account gets hacked/banned.

Digital is a joke.  There's no overhead to speak of: no disc, no product, no buyers needed, no vendors needed, no reps, no anything.  You're not even buying anything, you're paying full price to borrow a revokable license.  Digital should be half the price of a retail disc yet its usually MORE expensive.  Once a game has been out a month you can get the disc version cheaper, and a year later its still the same day one price digitally.  Great deal... or I guess it is for Sony.  But seeing as how most people buy games at full price, play them for an hour or two, then never touch them again, the digital model is perfect... for the seller.  But it's ok, discs take time to switch, also gotta get up off the couch.  Wouldn't want a generation where 2/3 of people are obese to have to burn a few calories standing up and walking 10 feet.  No wonder everyone's switching to a digital model, making people put down the cheetos to get up and change a disc is a huge risk, you may lose your clientele to a heart attack brought on by excessive strain from doing slightly more than nothing.

Go to the gym or something for exercise. I'm not not sure how digital is more expensive, as at least for now there is no sales tax on digital titles. Don't have to pay for any shipping if I order online. Don't have to waste time going to pick the game up after work or standing around at some midnight release. Nope my new games are available at 9pm Monday night of release. With Pre-load it's already to go while you're off to some midnight release or waiting for your delivery to arrive or going after work to Gamestop to have the employees beg you to pre-order all games coming out.

I don't know what kind of crappy internet you guys have but full games for me take an hour, 2 tops. If I get the urge right now at 9pm to get a new game, I get it online and an hour later I'm good to go. Gamestop is now closed, you either have to find a Walmart/Best Buy/Target or similar and drive out there and get it. Or wait until tomorrow. Or worse, wait a couple/few days if you order it online. 

Only thing I'm missing is the resell value, but I'm not 17 anymore, I don't need the $20 trade in credit that bad to give up all the convenience of going digital. Also, PSN has sales on digital titles all the time. 

Go to the gym or something for exercise. I'm not not sure how digital is more expensive, as at least for now there is no sales tax on digital titles. Don't have to pay for any shipping if I order online. Don't have to waste time going to pick the game up after work or standing around at some midnight release. Nope my new games are available at 9pm Monday night of release. With Pre-load it's already to go while you're off to some midnight release or waiting for your delivery to arrive or going after work to Gamestop to have the employees beg you to pre-order all games coming out.

I don't know what kind of crappy internet you guys have but full games for me take an hour, 2 tops. If I get the urge right now at 9pm to get a new game, I get it online and an hour later I'm good to go. Gamestop is now closed, you either have to find a Walmart/Best Buy/Target or similar and drive out there and get it. Or wait until tomorrow. Or worse, wait a couple/few days if you order it online. 

Only thing I'm missing is the resell value, but I'm not 17 anymore, I don't need the $20 trade in credit that bad to give up all the convenience of going digital. Also, PSN has sales on digital titles all the time. 

My guess is if you don't have the time to get off your couch to switch games, you probably don't bother going to the gym either.  I know tons of people with gym memberships who haven't been in months, if ever.  Still, the point was laziness, not whether or not you exercise.

Also, everyone offers free shipping these days.  Most make you buy at least $25-35 worth of products first, but since you went on and on about buying day 1, the inflated launch prices would satisfy the requirement for free shipping.  Plus, most stores ship physical games early at launch and you will end up with the game the weekend before it's official release (that's before 9pm Monday night, fyi) - your points here are invalid at best.  Also, I never mentioned titles at launch, in fact I specifically said 'after a month.  But I'm sure your 500GB hard drive can hold an infinite number of digital games at all times, yeah?  Oh wait, it can't, more like 20 at best.  Pre-load isn't a thing when you want to play a game you don't have installed.  The difference is if you decide to play a game in your backlog, it takes 2 seconds to pop in a disc while it takes hours to download.  There's no disputing this, but you can try, I guess.

Lol, 'crappy internet' is a fallacy.  Most people have similar internet speeds, and I have a 100MB broadband connection and it still takes forever to download from Sony's servers.  You may have something faster like fiber, but 1 hour for a full game, even 2, is a bold faced lie.  Sony's servers are slow, slower than Microsoft, slower than Steam, slower than pretty much everything.  It's well documented, do a google search.  There's no way you're downloading 20GBs or more in an hour on your Playstation directly from Sony.  But again, even if you could, if you get the urge to play a game you still have to wait an hour for your amazing other worldly internet to get that title whereas I, again, can pop in a disc in 2 seconds.  You again missed the point as the argument was not about who can get the game fastest at launch (though I refer back to my other point that disc games tend to ship days early all the time).  But most people have a backlog, and we were talking about time it takes to switch games we already own.  Downloading at any speed < Putting in a disc.

I don't buy games at launch, waste of money, I have dozens of games in my backlog and I work through those and when I do buy games, I do it months after launch when they're cheaper.  I too am not 17 anymore so I actually value my money and don't waste it when I can avoid that.  I spend my weekdays at work and most of my time with my family.  When I have free time, I do enjoy gaming.  All the irresponsible 'kids' I work with who don't have 10 cents to their name like to pre-order games and buy them at launch for $60 (or more for collectors/limited editions).  I on the other hand save my money, which is why I get to play my games from the comfort of the home I own, as opposed to the smelly, frat-house-esque situation of living with roommates that most people in my age range subject themselves to.  To each their own, and if you decide you need to play a game day 1, that's your call.  But again, the argument was not about whether or not you could use the $20 from trading in your game, it was whether or not it is possible.  Though if you want my advice (and I'm sure you don't), I recommend looking into ways to save $20 whenever you can as it comes in handy when you're older and investing for retirement.  Oh and don't think I'm like ancient or anything, I was born in the 80s and the 'kids' I referred to earlier are the mid t20-somethings I work with who are only a few years younger than me.  To put things in perspective, I've worked since I was 16, worked in high school, worked in college, and always saved.  That's why I had over $100k in the bank when I was their age instead of complaining of being broke all the time as they do.  While this isn't part of the conversation, mention it to prove a point, and I promise you that it doesn't hurt to save/invest at any age.

Yeah, PSN might have sales all the time, but it's mostly for older games.  I currently see PSOne titles like Parasite Eve and a bunch of older FF games on sale.  Last week's sale didn't have much, and the deals for $60 games were like $10 off, and those same games on disc are $30 on Amazon all the time.  You really don't see too many titles that have been out a month or two on sale on PSN, whereas the disc version has almost always dropped in price by $20 or had a really decent sale at that point.  I tend to add games to my backlog only a few months after they've been out and I never pay more than $20 for a game.  Again, I have a huge backlog, but for reference I got BF4 for $6, Beyond 2 Souls for $11, Watch Dogs for $12, Arkham City for $10, Kingdoms of Amalur for $15, and many many others, all under $20, and all less than 6 months after they launched (some only 2-3 months after launch).  If you just want a quick sale, you can usually get at least $20 off within the first couple weeks after launch.  Happens all the time.  I never said PSN didn't have sales, I just said that their prices are usually more than the retail disc version after about a month, and that can be seen by just doing some comparison shopping.  Ultimately the choice is yours, and you may value certain conveniences over others, but the points I made in my last post are valid, and you can ignore them if you choose, but your arguments to dispute them are more or less invalid.  You prefer digital, and that's your choice, but digital is never a better deal, and only in very finite situations is it more convenient, than a retail disc.

To quote Eminem, there's my 10 cents, my 2 cents was free.

• Like 1

We're about the same age, and I too like to save money. But if you are going to go that extreme, why not just game on PC and Steam sale your way to victory? I literally do not spend over $10 on a game on Steam. Why bother, it will be cheaper than that at some point. Everybody paying $60 for Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and I bought it off Steam for $5. It's been $4 on Steam before. 

So.... as you guys rant about going digital or not, the original post was about a brand new game and what they could do.

Taking it back to LameStop wouldn't work, since they don't do returns/exchanges on new games.

I would say your out of luck.

On a side note: Some PS4's have been know to have disc tray issues. Sony used a flimsy disc guide bar that was poorly designed.

But I haven't heard of it breaking disc

I guess we will have to file this in the mystery files.