National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Bennett's out?  Yeah, him and earl are the teeth and spine of the very talented "seafense". Rawls probably isnt 100% and they are down to the practice squad beyond him, so Buccs really don't seem like a crazy pick.

I'm starting to have faith in them Skins.   I'm hoping for a good game from them.

"Every week" is hyperbolic.  I just remember thinking last weeks picks were very safe too.

Guess I was wrong about the 10 A.M. start.  I just assumed a road game on the other side of the country would be in the usual time slot.  One less thing to worry about I suppose.  

Skins made a game out of it (kinda) but trying an on-side kick with 9 and a half minutes left seemed really REALLY stupid.  I get that the defense was pretty useless but seriously, have at least a little faith in your guys.  I'm also really curious to see how the Cowboys handle the playoffs, especially if they end up against the Hawks in the title game.  Dallas hasn't really been tested this year (I did the research in a post earlier and their schedule has been very underwhelming) and with two rookies, who have obviously never been there before, leading the charge against a Seattle team that knows exactly what it takes to win in the post season (because they've been there and done that more than any other NFC team over the past few years).  Barring any significant injuries of course, I firmly believe it will be up to Witten and the O-line to carry that would-be game.

So who enjoyed Aretha Franklin's national anthem rendition in Detroit?

Personally I loved it even if it did go for more then 4mins

And 2/3 games yesterday were good, though I do feel bad for Tolzien, trade his hardest and just didn't get enough done

The game could have been more interesting if not for uninspiring play calling.

Chiefs are going to spiral and Miami will replace them with improved play and a fairly weak schedule. Miami has the largest point spread this week (tied) and some how, despite key injuries and a seriously long flight, Seattle's line hasnt changed.  Bucks could make a strong playoff case with a win.

Anyone else remember when the Eagles and Vikes where unstoppable 'power houses'?

The game could have been more interesting if not for uninspiring play calling.

Chiefs are going to spiral and Miami will replace them with improved play and a fairly weak schedule. Miami has the largest point spread this week (tied) and some how, despite key injuries and a seriously long flight, Seattle's line hasnt changed.  Bucks could make a strong playoff case with a win.

Anyone else remember when the Eagles and Vikes where unstoppable 'power houses'?

If Tampa has a good pass rush (I haven't seen enough of their games to know) then Seattle's in trouble for sure.  The Rams are a confirmed shit team, but they're currently 3-0 (and 4 out of the last 5) against Seattle because of Donald and that damn pass rush.  Despite the injuries I'm still confident that Sherm, Kam and Avril can carry the defense enough to hold Tampa to the 14-20 point range, so it'll be up to Seattle's offense to protect Russ and let him find Baldwin and Jimmy enough to put up 24+... no easy task, especially if Wilson's running for his life the whole game.

If Tampa has a good pass rush (I haven't seen enough of their games to know) then Seattle's in trouble for sure.  The Rams are a confirmed shit team, but they're currently 3-0 (and 4 out of the last 5) against Seattle because of Donald and that damn pass rush.  Despite the injuries I'm still confident that Sherm, Kam and Avril can carry the defense enough to hold Tampa to the 14-20 point range, so it'll be up to Seattle's offense to protect Russ and let him find Baldwin and Jimmy enough to put up 24+... no easy task, especially if Wilson's running for his life the whole game.

Britt is looking unlikely for the game now.  So, I guess RW will need to be on his horse.

Simply glancing over the Bucs schedule, I am unimpressed.  The offense seems to be ok (passing game is generally solid), but the only team with good defense where they looked strong was the Rams.  Oh, and their D isn't good.  All the same, they have a lot of things going their way this week.

B

Britt is looking unlikely for the game now.  So, I guess RW will need to be on his horse.

Simply glancing over the Bucs schedule, I am unimpressed.  The offense seems to be ok (passing game is generally solid), but the only team with good defense where they looked strong was the Rams.  Oh, and their D isn't good.  All the same, they have a lot of things going their way this week.

I'm hoping the loss of Shead will force a temporary philosophy change and Chris Richard makes/lets Sherm shadow Evans the entire game.  The (potential) loss of Britt will no doubt hurt.  For the last couple years he was a revolving door on the outside but as a center he seemed to finally find his "calling", if you will.  Not all-pro or anything , but solid..  No Bennett sucks but at least Avri has stepped up and is putting in a career year to make up for it.  Earl however, there's just no replacing that guy.  

Still think the Buccs will take it, but I'm kind of at a 49/51 with it.  Russ is healthy and mobile again.  Carroll is looking like he's finally accepting that Lynch is gone and it's time to open up the offense.  Jimmy, Lockett, and Baldwin are getting targeted more and more (now they just need to quit forcing it to Kearse who's having a miserable year) and Rawls will hopefully be able to inflict some punishment on 1st and 2nd downs.  The game not being a 10 A.M. start, in my opinion, matters a lot too.  Seattle has an extremely tough time in those early starts (3x they've played a 10 A.M. playoff game under Carroll and all 3 times they didn't score a single point in the 1st half) and pushing back is an absolute gift.  Also, the Buccs, for some insane reason, have been terrible at home.  You know what... screw it, Seattle finds a way and eeks out a close one.

• Like 1

B

I'm hoping the loss of Shead will force a temporary philosophy change and Chris Richard makes/lets Sherm shadow Evans the entire game.  The (potential) loss of Britt will no doubt hurt.  For the last couple years he was a revolving door on the outside but as a center he seemed to finally find his "calling", if you will.  Not all-pro or anything , but solid..  No Bennett sucks but at least Avri has stepped up and is putting in a career year to make up for it.  Earl however, there's just no replacing that guy.  

Still think the Buccs will take it, but I'm kind of at a 49/51 with it.  Russ is healthy and mobile again.  Carroll is looking like he's finally accepting that Lynch is gone and it's time to open up the offense.  Jimmy, Lockett, and Baldwin are getting targeted more and more (now they just need to quit forcing it to Kearse who's having a miserable year) and Rawls will hopefully be able to inflict some punishment on 1st and 2nd downs.  The game not being a 10 A.M. start, in my opinion, matters a lot too.  Seattle has an extremely tough time in those early starts (3x they've played a 10 A.M. playoff game under Carroll and all 3 times they didn't score a single point in the 1st half) and pushing back is an absolute gift.  Also, the Buccs, for some insane reason, have been terrible at home.  You know what... screw it, Seattle finds a way and eeks out a close one.

LOL!  I love how you talked/wrote yourself into a new conclusion.

I read that they are going to have Sherman line up with Evans. Britt has stepped it up this year, and Carroll gushes about him.  Avril is a freak this year.

Seahawks are very often a team of 2 halves.  If they get dominated in the first half, you can be sure the game will get exciting in the 2nd (and will be close even if the loose).  I was at the hawks/skins game in 2014? and saw them dominate the skins in every area for the first half, but in the 2nd half they could barely even get a first down.  They snuck away with a win, but the 2nd half was embarrassing.

Browns OT Joe Thomas has played his 10,000 NFL snap, never missed one

As a Jets fan, I knew about this one because our beat reporters usually mentioned Joe Thomas and this stat in the same context as the now-retired D'Brickshaw Ferguson.  Ferguson never missed a practice in his career, nor did he ever miss a snap in a regular season game due to injury.... but Ferguson was pulled from the final play of Eric Mangini's ill-fated coaching tenure when the Jets ran a gadget play in Miami and replaced all their offensive linemen with "hands team" type guys to try and run a "Stanford Band" play.

With Duke Johnson Jr attempting a pass that makes him the 7th browns player to attempt a pass this season

Browns OT Joe Thomas has played his 10,000 NFL snap, never missed one

Speaking of the Browns, a couple of years ago Terrelle Pryor was auditioning for the Seahawks backup QB spot.  I think he almost made it to 3rd string but was ultimately let go.  Before his being cut though, Carroll begged him to try and play either receiver or tight end (two positions Seattle was in desperate need for at the time) because his size and skill set seemed perfect for it, Pryor refused and said it's QB or nothing, and by nothing he meant quitting the league entirely, because he had terrible hands.  Seeing his performance at receiver this year makes me, as a Seattle fan, happy and sad.  Really glad to see him blossom as a receiver (even if it's for the Browns) but bummed he didn't listen to Pete a couple years ago.  Imagine the numbers he might have if it was Wilson throwing to him instead of *insert this weeks name here*

RWilson's having a rough day.  Hit 6 times, 4 sacks.  I hope he survives this game.

Guess that's why they say to always go with your first instinct  :facepalm:

No biggie though, the rest of the division already lost so Seattle won't lose any ground, and I think they'll be getting pretty close to having it locked up with how bad Arizona's been.  Time to focus on staying healthy and getting to full strength for the (knock on wood) playoffs.

I really really wish I could have seen this. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ravens-take-clever-approach-to-seal-game-by-holding-every-bengals-player-on-safety-223632511.html

Reminds me of something you'd see from The Replacements lmfao.

I wonder if the NFL will try to outlaw teams doing that by a new rule change or something

I really really wish I could have seen this. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ravens-take-clever-approach-to-seal-game-by-holding-every-bengals-player-on-safety-223632511.html

Reminds me of something you'd see from The Replacements lmfao.

I wonder if the NFL will try to outlaw teams doing that by a new rule change or something

lol I wouldn't be surprised if a rule outlawing rules was made by them at this point.

The NFL doesn't need to write a new rule for this sort of happenstance -- it's already covered in the Rule Book under the broader interpretations of "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" if the League wishes it to be officiated that way and the referees are instructed to call it.  And it's a lot more than a 15-yard penalty if it gets invoked, because the rule permits the referees to provide whatever remedy they deem appropriate for such an act, up to and including awarding touchdowns if it is deemed that one would have been scored in the absence of such flagrant acts.

I vaguely recall a Steelers-Ravens game many years back when Mike Tomlin came onto the field during a kick/punt situation and obstructed the Baltimore returner, with a touchdown being awarded to Baltimore as a result.

EDIT:  The specific verbiage in the Rule Book is that it can be deemed a "palpably unfair act".  At a minimum, the referees could wipe out the play, restore the game clock to its' pre-play status, and order the play run again.

I suppose if the Ravens try to do this again, the League Office could amend the ruling and instruct the referees in such a spot to award the safety and to put the time back on the game clock and then force the Ravens to free kick, leaving the receiving team an opportunity to win the game in spite of these shenanigans.  And that would put an end to that.

For example, this rule is why teams don't commit blatant acts of Pass Interference on the last play of a game, because the referees don't have to simply flag PI but could simply award touchdowns on the spot.

Edited by acasser

The NFL doesn't need to write a new rule for this sort of happenstance -- it's already covered in the Rule Book under the broader interpretations of "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" if the League wishes it to be officiated that way and the referees are instructed to call it.  And it's a lot more than a 15-yard penalty if it gets invoked, because the rule permits the referees to provide whatever remedy they deem appropriate for such an act, up to and including awarding touchdowns if it is deemed that one would have been scored in the absence of such flagrant acts.

I vaguely recall a Steelers-Ravens game many years back when Mike Tomlin came onto the field during a kick/punt situation and obstructed the Baltimore returner, with a touchdown being awarded to Baltimore as a result.

The Thanksgiving game a couple years back