National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

On 3/6/2024 at 2:30 PM, skidmarkgn said:

Been seeing a lot of "Russ is, was, and always will be an overrated bum" articles out there since he was released and it's kind of pissing me off.  I'm not saying he didn't benefit from right place/right time because, who doesn't?  You show mw any of the all-time greats and I'll show you the support they had to help them achieve what they achieved.  I'm saying the hate he's getting is ridiculous.

I get it that Russ is a weird guy who eventually fell into the "diva/brand" trap but in his early years he was pretty amazing.  Don't know if it's more East coast ignorance or just good 'ol gotta get 'dem clicks "journalism" but everyone is seeming to forget that it was a pretty regular occurrence for Russ to will Seattle to a win using his insane scrambling skills and pin-point long-ball accuracy.  Watch any highlight reel of his and it'll be full of him getting .0001 seconds of protection before having to scramble around, evading 3 or 4 unblocked lineman, followed by throwing a ball 40 yards across his body into a window only his receiver could catch (back me up here Matto, his scrambling had to have driven you crazy more than once).  This bandwagon hate train is stupid and *now that Seattle doesn't benefit from his failure anymore* I really hope he lands on a team where he can thrive.

Oh I totally back you up.  I never thought Wilson was an elite QB when he was in Seattle, but when I look back at it in 20/20 hindsight, he was the bane of my existence (as a Niners fan) and my disdain for your team was what prevented me from acknowledging how good he was.  it was pure bitterness, cause no matter how good my team was, your team was usually better, and that was infuriating.  But I also look at the group he had around him.  Yeah, the Seattle D back then was legendary, but there were plenty of games where Wilson won it on a final drive late in the 4th.  Did he have help?  Sure, he had Marshawn.  But as for receivers, the hawks best receiving core is on the team NOW, not back then.  If anything, he made them better.  Honestly, I'm shocked how badly things went for him in Denver.  At first I relished in it, cause I figured he'd snap back halfway through his first season and figure it all out and then I'd be all out of chuckles.  Now I just feel bad for the guy.  As you said, he's a bit weird, but the last two seasons must've been hell for him, and I have no idea where he goes from here.  He's 35, so even if he gets the starting gig elsewhere, he's going to have to adjust to another new team, another head coach, another new city and fanbase, and this time it's going to be on the back of a horrible stretch in Denver as opposed to last time when he came out of Seattle as a SB champ.  He might spend the next/last few years of his career in a new city every year.  I heard he's talking with the Steelers and the Raiders.  Oh god, can you imagine him having an off day at home with those fans?

Side note: You mentioned his pinpoint accuracy and I remembered one of his early games against the Niners when the commentators couldn't stop talking about his professional baseball career.  Then I remembered someone else who can run for their life and throw with pinpoint accuracy - Patrick Mahomes.  Ironically, he too played baseball.  I'm starting to see a pattern here....

On 3/7/2024 at 8:25 AM, D-Square23 said:

I was discussing the game with a buddy recently and something kind of dawned on me. Kyle Shanahan feels like the NEW Andy Reid (The Philly Era), Where he's a stud when it comes to offensive schemes and plays but can't get over the hump and makes bad decisions in big moments. So I pose the same question to you that I did to my buddy. Do you think Kyle can get it done somehow or is it going to take his 2nd Head Coaching gig on a different squad for him to figure it out?

I try to refrain from personal shots at a player I don't even know, but he did seem kinda strange. Regardless, that first year in Denver I remember talking to my Dad about it as we witnessed it, and as Chiefs fans we were glad Denver was losing (because division rivals) but we were shocked how bad he was really playing. I think my father said, "Russell is playing his way OUT of the hall of fame.... what is going on here!?" We were just kinda stunned by how bad he was. This most recent year it seems he figured out how to get back to decent status and I am sure he will probably start somewhere else that is QB starved. But his time in Seattle he was a stud! So I don't think he is out of the Hall of Fame anymore. If he had a repeat year from that first year in Denver I think I would consider him OFF the ballot. I hope he finds success elsewhere. Kinda feel bad for him cuz it seems that Sean Payton wanted to cut him the moment he came into the building.

I hope he can... HOPE!  That's all I got left, cause he's had the roster and the supposed 'genius' play calls for almost a decade, and so far nothing to show for it.  As for a different squad, I know he was only the OC, but he ran the Falcons offense and they were hot that year they went to the SB.  And they should have won that game, but choked.  The key though is they choked the same way the Niners did in both SBs against the Chiefs.  They choked the same way they always do - the same way HE always does.  I've said it before, and I'll probably be saying it until he retires from coaching altogether - Kyle Shanahan CANNOT make adjustments in real time.  Every time he comes out in the second half of a big game with the lead, and he's playing a team that's good or great with an equally good or great coaching staff on the other sideline, he loses.  Why?  Because they make half time adjustments, and he clings to his way of play calling with a death grip that ends up the same way every time.  It happened with Atlanta, and it's happened with the Niners.  And every time it happens, if you trace it back to the roots, it's always Kyle Shanahan standing there holding his laminated play sheet with a dumbass look on his face.  So is he the guy?  Probably not.  Like someone else mentioned above, he'll end up the same way as the 90s Bills, getting oh so very close time and time again, and always coming up empty.  The guy is 0 for 3 in SBs, that's only 1 shy of those poor Bills.  Do I HOPE he can figure it out?  Of course, that's my team, I want them to win.  But at this point I think the only way he can do it is by doing the one thing he'll never do, which is relinquish control.  If the QB had Manning or Brady on the back of his jersey, I think those final 4th quarter drives go a different way, because they start calling what they see on the field and ignoring the coaches play calls.  But most QBs won't do that, and Brock is certainly far too young and inexperienced to do that.  So does Kyle move on to another team and win?  Probably not, cause he'll want things his way or the highway there too.  But if he can ever learn to check his ego at the door, he might have a chance with the right group.  But I don't think he'll ever learn to make real time adjustments, and that will always be what gets him.  If he manages to win a SB with the Niners, I think it'll be in spite of him, not because of him.  But like I said, I desperately hope I'm wrong.  Because I haven't watched this team win a SB since I was a kid, and their current group is the best chance they've had in decades, and I really don't want to wait another 30 years for them to rebuild to this kind of team.

• Like 2

Titans Continue to make moves, Acquiring QB Mason Rudolph and WR Calvin Ridley and thats after they Got RB Tony Pollard

Colts after losing Minshew now have another Vet Backup incase Richardson gets hurt in Joe Flacco

Ravens Took Derrick Henry after they let Gus Edwards go to the Chargers

Vikings Got Aaron Jones after The Packers got Josh Jacobs

The Cowboys finally made a big move, with the Signing of LB Eric Kendricks , beating the 49ers out for him

Does anyone think the Eagles overpaid For Saquon? 

12 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ding Dong the witch is dead!!  Matto, Sami, join me in celebrating not having to see Donald twice a year anymore!!

I don't understand this one.  The guy is only 32 years old and playing at his peak.  As far as I know, he hasn't been dealing with any injuries either.  I wonder if something else is going on, especially considering that there's been a lot of off-season chatter the last few weeks about how LA has a good shot next year.  Most elite players who are still at their peak don't leave a competitive team in the off-season.  It's a very rare move, and makes very little sense to me.

19 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Ding Dong the witch is dead!!  Matto, Sami, join me in celebrating not having to see Donald twice a year anymore!!

Considering we're not addressing OL issues, I'm more than happy!!!

Bears traded Justin Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick that can turn into a 4th depending on playing time. They're going for Caleb Williams, and I KNEW they were going to trade him. Now, if the Bears are smart, they can get Bowers with their second 1st round pick as well. 

With each passing QB trade, I increasingly get the feeling that either the Jets are going to end up cutting Zach Wilson because of an inability to trade him for anything without swallowing most of his salary.  The QB market is simply that bad; outside of Kirk Cousins striking it rich in Hot(Mess)-lanta, there simply isn't much money or quality out there and teams are simply going to churn draft picks until they strike it rich.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, skidmarkgn said:

I'll always remember how the Lions drafted Eric Ebron before him

11 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Bears traded Justin Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th round pick that can turn into a 4th depending on playing time. They're going for Caleb Williams, and I KNEW they were going to trade him. Now, if the Bears are smart, they can get Bowers with their second 1st round pick as well. 

Still to Only get a 6th round pick maybe 4th round for Fields is pretty Pathetic in all honesty 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 10:19 PM, Conker said:

Wow What a Get For The Texans and one way to stick it to your in state Rivals the Cowboys. Gonna be interesting How the Bills go  this season

What's crazy is that they voided the last 3 years of his deal and pushed that money to this season. Meaning that he'll be making $43.1 Million to be a 1 year rental! And the Texans got a 2nd round pick out of it!!! 

4 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

What's crazy is that they voided the last 3 years of his deal and pushed that money to this season. Meaning that he'll be making $43.1 Million to be a 1 year rental! And the Texans got a 2nd round pick out of it!!! 

The Texans are trying to motivate Stefon Diggs by voiding all that unguaranteed money and moving the 2025 guarantees into 2024.  So long as they had the additional cap space this season to accomodate the money they moved up, it's actually not a bad deal for them.  Diggs won't spend the year pouting and whining for a new contract and otherwise being a diva and a distraction.

And you have your draft picks backwards.  Buffalo got a 2nd round pick.  Houston got Diggs and a couple of late-round picks, not all of which are in this upcoming draft.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So Caleb Williams first overall.  Does this surprise anyone?  Probably not.  Now I just wait until the 31st pick to facepalm and sigh deeply when the Niners assuredly draft yet another defensive player in the first round when they should be getting a top tier offensive lineman.

Edit: Was about to say, a LOT of Michigan players in the draft, but yet to see one picked, and as I said that, Vikes come along and pick JJ.

Edit 2: Or a WR, like the mock predicted (which I hoped they wouldn't do).  They got lots of weapons on offense, more than pretty much every other team in the league, but how's Purdy gonna throw to them when he's running for his life on every single down cause he has no one to block for him?  

Final Edit: Niners desperately needed 2 top tier linemen in this draft.  That's because their current lineup is depleted and old, and it's only a matter of time before Trent Williams retires (probably next year).  Anyone who watched the Niners in the playoffs and SB saw that they are flush at almost every position except the line.  So what do they do in the draft?  They use all but one of their first 6 picks on redundant offensive skill players and defense.  They drafted 2 WRs, a RB, a Corner and a Safety.  Oh yeah, and in the 3rd round they drafted a mediocre linesman (he was projected to go no earlier than the 4th round, and there were so many better options along the way).  So unless they have a plan to steal some talent from other teams in free agency, this is going to be the exact same situation as Peyton Manning faced for years in Indy.  They never put a good line in front of him, and whenever they played good teams, they defense shredded the line and harassed Manning all day.  So many fans couldn't understand why they'd win 13-14 regular season games and then lose in the 1st round of the playoffs every year.  It was simple, the QB can't do much when they're running for their lives or on their back the entire game.  But it's ok, he still won 7 SBs... oh wait, that was Brady, who almost always had a strong offensive line protecting him.  Gee, funny how that works.  I can only hope that Purdy doesn't suffer another devastating injury cause of lack of pocket protection.

Edited by Matto_lsi