What are your thoughts on Premium DLC.

Wavergray

Thoughts on Premium DLC.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feeling towards Premium DLC.

• Indifferent / You don't care either way.
    • Will only buy them if you love the game.
    • Will buy them to make the game easier to complete / make trophies easier to obtain.
    • Will only buy them if they are on sale.
    • Will buy them if you bought the base game on sale.
    • You never buy them, but you like the fact that they exist.
    • You never buy them because you hate the fact that they exist.
    • Most of the time you buy them on a whim.

I was talking with a friend about premium dlc in games and I would like to hear some other people's thoughts on them.

For clarification the types of DLCs that was talked about in this conversation were:

• Costumes or Items that boost stats/levels for money.
  • Broken or Overpowered weapons and character that can only unlocked with money.
  • In-game levels or missions that exist only to make grinding easier / only exist so you can grind in-game money or exp.
  • Level cap breaks.

The types of DLCs that where excluded from this conversation were:

• Cosmetic costumes and skins.
  • Anything that was first a pre-order bonus.
  • In-game levels or missions that are true add-ons. (like the Dark Soul or Mass Effect DLCs)
  • Anything that is or was at one time free.

I'm basically Indifferent, but if I bought the game on sale I'm more likely to buy them on a whim.

So what are your thoughts on premium DLC, people of PSNP?

P.S. I don't think I need to say this, but we are all friends here so try not to argue too much and always respect other people's opinions.  

Edited by soultaker655

Yes

In that case, I'm for them but only if they're implemented right. They can be good, especially since they allow some games to be free. (At the end of the day, game companies need to make profit somehow)

I am against them though if they seriously inhibit gameplay, prevent progress at all (so no time limit, just a paywall basically) or give constant prompts to buy stuff. Pokemon Shuffle is a good example of microtransactions done well in my opinion. You get 5 hearts (plays) and hearts regenerate every half hour, or you can buy hearts with jewels and of course jewels with money. But the prices are fair and it never once prompts you to buy stuff, it's just there if you want it. Besides if there wasn't that feature it'd be a really short game tbh. The mobile game Boom Beach is pretty good too, you can buy diamonds as in-game currency but there's no prompts and tbh it's not even necessary.

That said, I'm not buying any MTX in Run Sackboy Run, but not because I disagree with them. I just wanna earn the 100% without buying any boosts or using any exploits :P

Edited by Akira-chan

DLC that you need to buy to enjoy the game becaue they made it artificially harder i.e. making enemies tanks unless you have the right stuff bothers me.

Otherwise no it doesn't bother me if its just to allow people who suck an easier ride.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

I've been playing Batman Arkham Knight and the amount of DLC on the games release is a bit of a joke. I don't mind paying for the odd DLC usually on special but I never buy weapon packs or that kind of thing unless it comes in a season pass or something like that.

Does this include the ones that are "beginner starter packs?" Starter packs can be helpful for some people especially if they're just getting started/used to a new game type.

I'm personally not for or against these premium DLCs. Speaking strictly from a time vs. money standpoint, I'd say their existence is valid. It all comes down to what you value more, time or money. Some people value their time (or simply just do not have enough time), and thus they would prefer to pay for a little help so that they can reach the end-game quicker and be able to enjoy/experience all there is to the game without having to commit an enormous amount of time that would otherwise be spent grinding. Other people enjoy the ride, and thus would rather spend the time and effort to get to the end-game "legitimately," which consequently also feels much more rewarding for them. These people also tend to have more time on their hands and are able to do that.

This was actually a big discussion in the Guild Wars 2 community regarding legendary weapons. Since the legendary weapon was craft-able and only required ridiculous amounts of grinding and farming for the materials, the legendary was by no means an indicator of skill. It was just a massive time sink. For the people who worked 40 hours a week and had families or real-life errands/duties to attend to, the legendary was but a distant dream. However, because you could could convert real-life money into in-game currency to buy the materials for the legendary, these people who didn't have the time to grind for one could still obtain one, so that they weren't left out of the enjoyment of a legendary just because they simply didn't have time. I think this concept of time vs. money can apply to these premium DLCs as well; giving people the option to still be able to obtain things that they otherwise wouldn't be able to due to time constraints in order to enjoy the game to the fullest is valid.

I usually wait for a GOTY type of release for a game, or wait for a sale to see if some DLC's are worth picking up. It's been paying off so far with Borderlands 1 & 2, Fallout 3 GOTY, Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of The First Sin, Metal Gear Rising (both story DLC's are free still if I'm not mistaken. That's how I got them lol), and plenty more games. I'm not against Premium DLC's, just want to know if getting DLC's are worth it.