Do you like long-running anime having gone seasonal?

Zenpai

13 members have voted

1. 1. Dou you like long-running anime having gone seasonal?

• I love it, no filler and more chapters per episode
    • I hate it, I liked having a new episode each week

I'll explain:

Before, when anime were based on popular long-running manga, they usually just produced one episode per week until either popularity or ratings dropped. (Examples: Dragon Ball, Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Hunter X Hunter (1999), Bleach, etc. etc. etc.)

However, recently there's been a change in the trend. Original anime always had seasonal formats, but lately, many anime based on popular long-running manga have also gone seasonal. (Examples: Kuroko no Basuke, To Love-Ru, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, etc. etc. etc.) The reasons are obvious: a continuous production means less chapters per episode, more expense, and most of all, filler episodes, which cost just as much as a canon episode but have much lower ratings.

Of course, older anime based on long-running manga that are still airing still have the old continuous production model (One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail [this one is more recent but it did have a hiatus]) and more recent anime based on older manga go on for a lot longer due to overabundance of original material (Hunter X Hunter [2011], Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), but the trend seems to be going more and more towards the seasonal model. There are still a few anime based on more recent manga that still follow the old model, though (Toriko comes to mind).

Personally, I love it. I never watch anime on a week-to-week basis anyway and this way, we get an adaptation that is shorter, closer to the manga, more concise (more chapters per episode), with no filler, and this way all of the funds can go to the story that really matters, which results in better-looking animation and more production value.

What about you guys?

I don't like fillers in general, though there are very, very few exceptions. I prefer a fleshed out anime that doesn't rush things too much, but the 9 months wait for the next season is killing me. It's understandable when an anime is based on light novels, because those are released once every 3-4 months. Some are even released once every 9-12 months, which is ridiculous (that's right, looking at you SAO).

Edited by Dragon-Archon

I'd rather wait some more than suffer through loads of filler and shitty animation. Of course in a perfect world we'd have weekly episodes without the drawbacks i mentioned but for now i'm ok with this trend.

ugh... fillers... one of main reason I stopped watching Fairy Tail... 

anyway... OT: 

I would prefer them to be seasonal (but this is probably like close to never[i think almost twin]), quality over quantity as they said...and me don't mind waiting for a year or two ^_^

Its a tough choice. I loved having an episode of HxH to watch for years without any breaks (or very very few). But thats a very rare occurence of a long running anime keeping its quality throughout and not having any filler. 

But filler sucks, it killed my love for Naruto and it killed Bleach so I'm down for the seasonal format. Just wish they'd announce sequel seasons sooner rather than later (JoJo S4 pls.) 

• Like 1