2K/Rockstar sceptical about the Wii U

AndroidFox

In what must be one of the most candid and informative interviews done by any gaming company, Take-Two boss sat with Gamasutra to talk about a myriad of topics, including the risk and reward of launching New IPs on new consoles, brand building, his skepticism on Wii U and much more.

While Wii U was cheered by many industry professionals, citing the machine’s long-term potential and not Nintendo’s botched E3 2012 performance, Take-Two Interactive Software chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick wasn’t among the throng.

“We haven’t announced anything,” says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company’s mature titles onto the Wii U. “I’m skeptical.”

Zelnick’s skepticism, however, has nothing to do with next generation consoles. In fact the Take-Two boss can’t wait for PS4 and Xbox 720, as they’re prepping new IP experiences for said consoles.

More bad news for Nintendo.

Personally, I'm also skeptical about Wii U. I can't see it going very far. Just a gimmick. ... Of course I COULD be wrong, but only time will tell.

I feel like it will just be a more powerful Wii but still have the same crappy games that get boring after only a few plays.

Nintendo has dug themselves into a hole by catering the Wii to casuals and soccer moms while alienating the hardcore gamer. Casuals don't watch E3, buy more than 1 or 2 games for a system, and certainly don't buy a system that isn't loaded with gimmicks like the Wii was. I thought Nintendo was supposed to want to get the hardcore gamers back with the WiiU. What I've heard so far just sounds like more of the same.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm also skeptical about Wii U. I can't see it going very far. Just a gimmick. ... Of course I COULD be wrong, but only time will tell.

Agreed, some of the features of the console look cool, but not even close to neat enough for me to abandon the beloved PS3. I think Nintendo's error is that they are charging to much for a current (nex) gen console. The reason the Wii sold so well is because it was dirt cheap, and was a good entry point for casual gamers, and to be honest, older people bought it too!!! I was working with my dad and renovating a senior center, and they used the Wii for their exercise program. I do not think that this market will be so eager to snatch up a new system when obviously graphics or an HD system were not what mattered to them in the first place!

But isn't Nintendo's innovation is what making MS and Sony copying them? That's why we have the Kinect and PS move.

But the Wii's success was just a gimmick, look at how that ended.. MS and Sony shouldn't have been so blind to see that..

But isn't Nintendo's innovation is what making MS and Sony copying them? That's why we have the Kinect and PS move.

Sony were researching motion controllers in 2001, way before Nintendo even began thinking about the Wii. The Kinect is a glorified EyeToy which was first demonstrated in 1999. If anything Nintendo and Microsoft took advantage of Sony not utilising the technology to its full potential.

http://www.examiner.com/article/who-was-the-innovator-regarding-motion-control

• Like 3

They really aren't skeptical on what the machine can do...it's more of they believe their products won't be highly received by the expected target Wii U audience.

Exactly how I took it as well. Even if the WiiU is 10x more powerful than the PS3 if the audience is still little kids than developers won't make profits by offering mature games on the system. Nintendo will have to convince it's long lost core followers and have them buy the system before developers will begin to port or make titles for the WiiU. If mature people don't buy the WiiU than developers have no reason to work with the console.

Parker

I was trying to figure out why I don't have many DS games outside of remakes (like Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger), or more than 5 3DS games (I only have OoT 3D, Samurai Heroes, Sonic Generations, Mario 3D, and RE). The vast majority of my 3DS' use is downloading VC games, since I never owned an original Gameboy. I don't really care about most of the actual 3DS games. Then the only Wii games I buy anymore are ones by Sega or something. Last actual Nintendo game I got was Super Mario Galaxy 2, and that ended up boring the hell out of me. I did get Boy and his Blob, and I like that, but only because it's one of those retro throwbacks. Even Skyward Sword and Xenoblade I have no interest in, which was a big reason being at my old forum was such a pain, since all they'd talk about was Nintendo games.

I'm skeptical as hell about the WiiU, certainly not buying it at launch, the only things that I like about it are the VMU ripoff (it reminds me of the Dreamcast), the first party games...only not so much anymore, and the fact that it actually has a real controller option. Though that won't matter if it doesn't have games that interest me, which is looking like that'll be the case. I barely ever use my Wii as it is.