S ranking missions

Grabbed this from the platinum difficulty thread:

I believe there are 50 main missions and you have to get an S-Rank on each of them. The Deciding factors on these appears to be:

• Taking No damage
  • Speed at which missions are completed
  • Mission tasks
  • Accuracy
  • Not getting spotted
Just off the top of my head, im sure there are more. If you need to do this for all 50 missions and they presumably get more difficult later in the game then this trophy will probably be the Plat blocker for a lot of people. Think of this Trophy as "Solid Gold Baby" for GTA V.  This one should not be taken lightly.

Time is by far the biggest factor. I've gotten over 160,000 points for time alone, which means that even if I killed people, triggered reflex, triggered an alert, and took tons of hits, I'd still get the S rank. General rule of thumb is play the mission stealthily the first time around and try for S. If you don't get S, try a again since you know exactly what to expect, just be a bit faster and you'll get it easily. Don't worry about mission tasks when going for the S rank,t hey usually take to long and don't add enough points compared to time. Also, you won't get the perfect stealth bonus (20,000) if you trigger reflex or kill people.

Speed is the most important factor. I'd recommend ignoring mission tasks for the most part as threy'll usually end up doing more damage to your time than adding points. Try to get the other bonuses as well, but only as long as it doesn't add to your time much. Travel by horse a lot and use horse stealth to not get spotted on your way to your objective.

I'm usually worried of getting low ranks on bosses, then I end up getting S-ranks (one on the second Plantropus (god, I butchered the name) fight and one on the final Skulls fight) and a couple of others.

Also, for the Elite :gold: ( S-rank on all missions) trophy, do we have to get S-ranks on the Extreme Stealth and Subsistence missions or just the story ones? If so, sounds like they're gonna be a pain.

I'm usually worried of getting low ranks on bosses, then I end up getting S-ranks (one on the second Plantropus (god, I butchered the name) fight and one on the final Skulls fight) and a couple of others.

Also, for the Elite :gold: ( S-rank on all missions) trophy, do we have to get S-ranks on the Extreme Stealth and Subsistence missions or just the story ones? If so, sounds like they're gonna be a pain.

You'll need to get an S-Rank on all missions that you can get a rank on, this includes higher difficulty ones.

Dang, I knew it was too good to be true, I think this could be a platinum-breaker for some, but oh well.

Also, thanks for the quick response :)

It's really not as bad as it seems, especially if you're using guides as a reference. 90% of the missions have a pretty easy way to speedrun them since they often involve tasks such as finding out the location of a target, which you won't have to do on second playthroughs since you'll already know where to go. Completing all mission tasks seem much more challenging if you ask me, but i haven't really started completing mission tasks yet.

There's always a trick to it. Most of the time it's utilizing D-Horse and running through as Time is the most important factor. Other times there's neat little tricks, like on Subsistence C2W you can get it done in 1:48. Never having to leave the Infil Helicopter, heh.

Just be quick. Quick quick quick.

It's really not as bad as it seems, especially if you're using guides as a reference. 90% of the missions have a pretty easy way to speedrun them since they often involve tasks such as finding out the location of a target, which you won't have to do on second playthroughs since you'll already know where to go. Completing all mission tasks seem much more challenging if you ask me, but i haven't really started completing mission tasks yet.

I don't usually refer to guides for games like MGS, but since they can show you easy ways to complete a mission, it's worth a shot. (though the game is still new, therefore I don't know if there are S rank guides yet)

There's always a trick to it. Most of the time it's utilizing D-Horse and running through as Time is the most important factor. Other times there's neat little tricks, like on Subsistence C2W you can get it done in 1:48. Never having to leave the Infil Helicopter, heh.

Just be quick. Quick quick quick.

Gotta go fast!

I mostly utilize Quiet and D-Dog the most, but should consider D-Horse as well.

Have you beaten that mission yet? that was a huge pain for me. weapons OSP... on well. 

Edited by NullRay85

I don't usually refer to guides for games like MGS, but since they can show you easy ways to complete a mission, it's worth a shot. (though the game is still new, therefore I don't know if there are S rank guides yet)

Gotta go fast!

I mostly utilize Quiet and D-Dog the most, but should consider D-Horse as well.

Have you beaten that mission yet? that was a huge pain for me. weapons OSP... on well. 

The original mission and the few Side Ops that appear there are a little too early for C4, so most people will not have blown the Anti-Air Radar up. If you blow that up before doing the Subsistence version then you select that area as your landing spot. Just use the turret on the helicopter to shoot the 3 radars and you'll fly away shortly after the 3rd one blows up. Easy peasy. 1:40ish. No OSP required, lol.

I also dislike Quiet. I never used her after I got max Bond for the trophy. DD is awesome. He'll spot enemies and prisoners 120meters away. If an enemy sees him they'll just shoo him away as long as you're not in Combat Status. He can Fulton people to help you clean up your mess quicker before a patrol comes. He's just damn awesome. D-Horse is legit just because it's a fast 'vehicle' that can traverse most of the terrain quicker because some areas are just too craggy for the APE jeep.

D-Walker is like DD but without the added benefit of no one freaking out when they see it. Which is why I choose DD over him.

Edited by Yadilie
  • Like 1

I used Quiet a LIT during my first runs of most of the missions. She's ridiculously overpowered, especially with silenced guns. You have here scout out the enemy which does all that DD can do and then have her snipe away. Takes out every single guy in the encampment that isn't indoors and they never even saw your ass. D-Horse will be your main buddy for S-Ranks though.

I used Quiet a LIT during my first runs of most of the missions. She's ridiculously overpowered, especially with silenced guns. You have here scout out the enemy which does all that DD can do and then have her snipe away. Takes out every single guy in the encampment that isn't indoors and they never even saw your ass. D-Horse will be your main buddy for S-Ranks though.

I gotta agree as well. She isn't necessarily OP, just too good at what she does. I used her on missions where the enemies had high stats, i equpped her with a non lethal, silenced weapon and told her to cover me. All I had to do was extract the soldiers. Quick S-rank, easy peasy. :)

Still, DD is just kickass. D-Walker is good, but awkward to navigate with. I mostly set up a lethal loadout for heavy situations for it, one with flamethrowers and machties...

The original mission and the few Side Ops that appear there are a little too early for C4, so most people will not have blown the Anti-Air Radar up. If you blow that up before doing the Subsistence version then you select that area as your landing spot. Just use the turret on the helicopter to shoot the 3 radars and you'll fly away shortly after the 3rd one blows up. Easy peasy. 1:40ish. No OSP required, lol.

I also dislike Quiet. I never used her after I got max Bond for the trophy. DD is awesome. He'll spot enemies and prisoners 120meters away. If an enemy sees him they'll just shoo him away as long as you're not in Combat Status. He can Fulton people to help you clean up your mess quicker before a patrol comes. He's just damn awesome. D-Horse is legit just because it's a fast 'vehicle' that can traverse most of the terrain quicker because some areas are just too craggy for the APE jeep.

D-Walker is like DD but without the added benefit of no one freaking out when they see it. Which is why I choose DD over him.

Thanks for that tip! You immediately made it an easy S-rank! xD Edited by NullRay85

Precisely.

Use lethal weapons and dispose of enemies when possible. Focus on doing your missions as fast as possible rather than as elegantly as  possible, and if you want you can disable reflex mode for an extra 10,000 points I think?

No not really. Some missions true needs to be done as quick as possible. That being said you have to drop some optional tasks.

But some other missions are meant to be long. Like the mission where you have to destroy/extract armored vehicles (very early in the story). It took me over and hour to finish with all optional tasks (saving 6 prisoners, extracting all armored vehicles, 3 tanks and destroy a gunship). And having all tasks completed I got S Rank on it.

No not really. Some missions true needs to be done as quick as possible. That being said you have to drop some optional tasks.

But some other missions are meant to be long. Like the mission where you have to destroy/extract armored vehicles (very early in the story). It took me over and hour to finish with all optional tasks (saving 6 prisoners, extracting all armored vehicles, 3 tanks and destroy a gunship). And having all tasks completed I got S Rank on it.

You can S-Rank that mission in like 3 minutes by extracting one vehicle and waiting the rest to leave the area. You get No traces bonus which is 200000 points.

You can S-Rank that mission in like 3 minutes by extracting one vehicle and waiting the rest to leave the area. You get No traces bonus which is 200000 points.

Oh; nice tip. I can't seem to go past a A-ranking.

Edited by cd_BE

Yes I know. All I was aiming for was to complete all objectives actually in one run. And I did. Plus S-Rank.

My argue was "in some missions completing all/most/key optional objectives and finishing within a reasonable time (different from mission to mission)" can still grant you S-Rank

Oh; nice tip. I can't seem to go past a A-ranking.

Follow this tip in almost all missions and you'll get an S-Rank.

Keep stealth. Take your time but also try to finish ASAP.

This way you'll get the Stealth bonus plus the time.

Follow this tip in almost all missions and you'll get an S-Rank.

Keep stealth. Take your time but also try to finish ASAP.

This way you'll get the Stealth bonus plus the time.

For extrating I usually use DDog when I'm close to 50meter, Zoom to the target and fetch with the wormhole fulton. And I'm on my way back to mother base.