Smart As will not recognize location data

SolarCat02

Smart As insists that I am not sharing location data, when I try to access Street Smarts. I verified that location data is set to be shared with Smart As, and that no parental controls would limit this.

I also connected the Vita to my phone with a mobile Hotspot, but this gave the same error message.

Is there a way to fix this?

Skyhook also rejected my attempts to update my Internet information, with an error that my Internet was excluded from their database and I could not add it. Is Verizon blocking the location services?

It's a setting. I don't know if I am doing it right. From what I have read, it just uses your Internet to locate you, but I have been unable to get it to work.

Screenshots attached.

I don't know if you are doing anything wrong, but I doubt it. I have been doing the online for the past month and it was working just fine till this week. I thought it was just me because I took a trip out to the country about 30 miles away from a big city. Now I'm hoping that it's just a temporary problem that will be fixed on their end, but with the game being as old as it is and "near" not being what it once was, we may be locked out from those trophies. :(

Has anyone else been experiencing things with the Street Smarts part of the game? If these trophies are now unobtainable, I should be updating my guide to say so! Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I have emailed Climax Studios, asking if the online portion of the game has been disabled. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 3

Has anyone else been experiencing things with the Street Smarts part of the game? If these trophies are now unobtainable, I should be updating my guide to say so! Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I have emailed Climax Studios, asking if the online portion of the game has been disabled. I'll let you know if I get a response.

The fact that someone on here would go an email developers for information on the online services of their games, solely to update a guide, that is only there to benefit strangers, is why I love this site.

• Like 3

The fact that someone on here would go an email developers for information on the online services of their games, solely to update a guide, that is only there to benefit strangers, is why I love this site.

Lol. Thanks. 

A cynic might have said that I was just being self serving. If I can update my guide now then I'll avoid comments on it later asking me "why isn't the online working"... as if I'd have a clue. ;)

Well, Climax emailed me back. Apparently, the question needs to go to Sony as the publisher... Urph. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll hear back.

• Like 1

I just finished the online portion of this game a few days ago. I never had any issues connecting with the servers to do the street smart challenges. As far as I know, the online has never gone down, but is still finicky for some people.

From the posts by OP and monkeydluffy, it sounds like it may have gone this week...

Location data is dependent on the MAC address of whatever you are using to access the internet (router or mobile hot spot device etc...) to be registered.  It won't work unless your MAC address is registered to an actual location.  Location data still works on the Vita, even Near still works for me so its definitely not disabled (yet).  

I had the same problem with SmartAS and also Modnation Racers until I registered.  I did use http://www.skyhookwireless.com/submit-access-point which worked okay for me so I would try and fix whatever that error is and then your Vita will work.  Just make sure to use the right MAC address and you should be okay.

Good luck.

Edited by markcavan
  • Like 1

When this game came to PS Plus I played and I think I only needed the Street Smart trophies, near was still around but it never worked for me, city depending?

In the UK at least, it seems to pick up quite a number of smaller towns that I wouldn't have expected it to. That being said, the game was made in the UK, so maybe the devs exhibited some bias here. 

Location data is dependent on the MAC address of whatever you are using to access the internet (router or mobile hot spot device etc...) to be registered.  It won't work unless your MAC address is registered to an actual location.  Location data still works on the Vita, even Near still works for me so its definitely not disabled (yet).  

I had the same problem with SmartAS and also Modnation Racers until I registered.  I did use http://www.skyhookwireless.com/submit-access-point which worked okay for me so I would try and fix whatever that error is and then your Vita will work.  Just make sure to use the right MAC address and you should be okay.

Good luck.

Smart As insists that I am not sharing location data, when I try to access Street Smarts. I verified that location data is set to be shared with Smart As, and that no parental controls would limit this.

I also connected the Vita to my phone with a mobile Hotspot, but this gave the same error message.

Is there a way to fix this?

Skyhook also rejected my attempts to update my Internet information, with an error that my Internet was excluded from their database and I could not add it. Is Verizon blocking the location services?

No answer from Sony yet but, OP, have you tried markcavan's suggestion, above? 

Anyone else able to jump onto this game and try out Street Smarts?

I have tried updating in Skyhook but it gives me an error that my Internet location will not be supported by their servers. I am still trying to troubleshoot but have not had success so far.

So I guess I need help with Skyhook, not Smart As... If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to it! I will get the official error messages tonight and upload them.

Edited by SolarCat02

I have tried updating in Skyhook but it gives me an error that my Internet location will not be supported by their servers. I am still trying to troubleshoot but have not had success so far.

So I guess I need help with Skyhook, not Smart As... If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to it! I will get the official error messages tonight and upload them.

Skyhook is pretty temperamental. You need to make sure you're changing the correct MAC address when attempting to make a change. To find the correct MAC address using only your vita, go to setting and then network. From Network, go to Internet Connection Status. Your MAC address you need to change will be listed as the BSSID on the list that shows up. Since your account is in the US, state capitals will each count as a location if you can't think of any other places that work.

And then if you have multiple wifi networks in range of your vita, it won't work every time. The vita finds your location not by the network you are connected to, but by the range of locations of all networks in the area. If most of the networks in range are in your real location, it won't change. If you've got multiple networks, you can combat this by going to a place in your house that has the fewest interfering signals. If there's no place in your house like this, you can try changing multiple MAC address locations if you have more than one router. Important: DO NOT CHANGE ANY LOCATIONS OF ROUTERS YOU DO NOT OWN!

For the longest time I was just doing a weekly street smart challenge until I found a location in my house without interference.

• Like 1

I have 2 wifi network in my house and i always updated both to the same location on skyhook. Most of the time i had to wait between 1 and 8 hours for the change to be visible on my vita. I rebooted both the game and my vita from time to time, maybe that helped the game to update the location...

Also, i was only able to change my location to big town in my country. If i picked another country, i had an error on skyhook.

Your router could have multiple MAC adress (i studied computer programming and never heard of that, but i read it on multiple guides... so maybe?) so you have to be sure you pick up the right one (i used inssider for that).

Also, if your vita reach multiple wifi, i dont believe changing the location of a wifi you dont own is armfull. Skyhook isnt used by many services so i bet no one will notice it... yet, i believe that when you plat the game you should set thel back to their proper location

Edited by lesk8vaincra
  • Like 1

Urushiro, thank you so much for the Skyhook clarification, I was able to update my location! Street Smarts still gives me the same error, but I will wait a while and I'm rebooting my Vita as suggested and hopefully I will be able to get in and play by tomorrow.

At this point, I will be happy just to be able to play my own weekly challenges, I'm not worrying about changing my location once I get it working... Too many opportunities to break something.

I am hoping this fixes it. I will update tomorrow (or sooner, if I get it working by then!) Many thanks to your both! *crosses fingers*

EDIT: It works! Thank you! You are awesome!

Edited by SolarCat02
  • Like 1

Urushiro, thank you so much for the Skyhook clarification, I was able to update my location! Street Smarts still gives me the same error, but I will wait a while and I'm rebooting my Vita as suggested and hopefully I will be able to get in and play by tomorrow.

At this point, I will be happy just to be able to play my own weekly challenges, I'm not worrying about changing my location once I get it working... Too many opportunities to break something.

I am hoping this fixes it. I will update tomorrow (or sooner, if I get it working by then!) Many thanks to your both! *crosses fingers*

EDIT: It works! Thank you! You are awesome!

Good to hear that things are working, so as soon as I can get back home to my solid internet connection I can work my way through those last online trophies. :)