Should I Beat Fallout 3 First?

TheLiamK

Hey All,

I've play a bit of Fallout 4 recently and I've enjoyed what I've played so far. However, I started wondering today; should I play Fallout 3 first? It's in my backlog so I will play it eventually but seeing as it's a few years old now and clearly not as advanced as 4 so would I have a better experience of 3 by playing it first?

I am inclined to say yes, but the problem may be that since Fallout 3 is a long game you may feel burnt out when you go back and continue Fallout 4 because the core mechanics is very similar - especially if you have OCD hoarding and must pick every junk up, doing this for over a hundred hour on either game and you'll get burned out for sure ha!

• Like 1

I'd play fallout 3 first if I were you because there are small references to some characters and events which you will now understand. Don't get me wrong they are completely different stories and you would totally understand 4 without playing 3 first but when you are working with the BOS in Fallout 4 and they make references to the events from the BOS in Fallout 3 it's pretty cool. Then there's the fact that F3 is last gen so its not as good graphically etc better to go F3 to F4 than F4 to F3. Play New Vegas as well if you are able. That game is also excellent.

That's the thing I'm worried about. I've heard nothing but good things about Fallout 3 so I'd like to experience it without the newer one skewing my enjoyment of it. Very good point about burning out on it though. I think I'll plat 3, take a month away from it and then play 4. Thanks for the input :)

Just know if you go from 4 to 3, there's a significant downgrade to what you might be accustomed to, free aiming is clunky, animation is clunky, there isn't any use for hoarding rubbish except consumables. So bare that in mind and you'll have a blast

I'd say if you really want to play F4, play it now. F3 is a great game, but it's not required. There are references to F3 in 4, but they're more like easter eggs for hardcore fans.

Going back to F3 after 4 might be hard, but it's not impossible since it's a really good game no matter how old it is. I guess it depends on whether you play 4 more like a FPS or use the VATS mechanic a lot. I use VATS almost exclusively and as such the combat doesn't feel that different to me. But if you shoot in real time, going back to 3 will be a pain in the butt, because the real time shooting in that game sucks pretty hard.

There's an upside to not playing F4 right now though, and that's the fact that in a couple of weeks/months a lot of the bugs will (hopefully) get ironed out and you'll have a better overall experience playing it.