DC Cinematic Universe

TheVader66

5 hours ago, Eraezr said:

His daughter started a charity organization when she was like 15 or 16. When I was at that age, I was watching cat videos.

Personally, I've liked most of Zack Snyder's movies. I can see why his style is not for everyone, since he doesn't play it safe like MCU and tries to push the medium of film (as James Cameron noticed when he named Snyder among his favourite film directors). BvS turned out to be unexpected for me. It was a layered film, full of politics, Godhood and Christ imagery and spoke about the traumas of human society. I still enjoyed it, even the Theatrical Cut, but it is the Ultimate Cut I endorse as the true version of Batman v. Superman. I'd give the movie 9.5/10, penalizing 0.5 because I felt Clark/Kal-El needed one more scene.

There is a sea of difference between being deep and pretending to be deep. Snyder has visual style but absolutely lacks substance, he talks big game but under delivers. BvS has some interesting ideas but they're half baked, rushed, lacking in genuine meaningful exploration and take a back seat to franchise building and throwing in unnecessary characters.

Marvel's done more for the super hero genre [and indeed cinema with it being the first successful shared universe] than Snyder ever did and likely ever will.

53 minutes ago, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

There is a sea of difference between being deep and pretending to be deep. Snyder has visual style but absolutely lacks substance, he talks big game but under delivers. BvS has some interesting ideas but they're half baked, rushed, lacking in genuine meaningful exploration and take a back seat to franchise building and throwing in unnecessary characters.

Marvel's done more for the super hero genre [and indeed cinema with it being the first successful shared universe] than Snyder ever did and likely ever will.

To each their own. We saw the same movie, but responded differently to it. That's how art works in movies, video games, etc. As far as I care, I want to see the CBMs that entertain me and BvS achieved that.

Edited by Eraezr

I thought Man Of Steel was dull and dragged on for too long.

I thought Batman v Superman was dull, bad and dragged on for too long. And I usually love Batman i think he's much more interesting than Superman.

I thought Suicide Squad was mildly entertaining but a mess at the same time. Shame, since the trailer promised mostly zany fun.

I just watched Wonder Woman and I think it is awesome.

I have subscribed to a cinema pass so I go to all Marvel and DC movies but where I look forward to each new Marvel (say what you will about their movies lacking gravitas, at its worst it's still entertaining pulp), I new DC titles after seeing Batman v Superman, which the trailer for Wonder Woman has now changed - that trailer had more color than all of Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman put together!

Don't think the movie is perfect though, my biggest complaint would be that the ending drags on for a bit and that the speed at which Wonder Woman can move is a bit inconsistent, but whatever. The movie is doing a lot of good towards female directors, female superheroes and the DC universe in general.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 0:16 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I have subscribed to a cinema pass so I go to all Marvel and DC movies but where I look forward to each new Marvel (say what you will about their movies lacking gravitas, at its worst it's still entertaining pulp), I new DC titles after seeing Batman v Superman, which the trailer for Wonder Woman has now changed - that trailer had more color than all of Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman put together!

Cinema Pass? I didn't know that was actually possible to get or is it that only your theater offers it?

Anyways the new trailer for Justice League came out for Comic-Con. It has me more pumped for the movie, I am really loving Aquaman and the Flash in this.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2017 at 6:46 PM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

If Affleck is getting replaced par the rumors can we get Jon Hamm to fill in?

False-found rumours. He said at SDCC that he loves playing the Batman role and he'll play it as long as WB will have him.

On 25-7-2017 at 10:17 AM, TheVader66 said:

Cinema Pass? I didn't know that was actually possible to get or is it that only your theater offers it?

Here in Holland, the Pathé cinema group has an "Unlimited" pass, there's loads of Pathé cinemas across the country. I have the gold pass version - €26 per month, unlimited access to all movies including 3D, IMAX and Atmos with the only restriction being that you can only get one ticket every 90 minutes (so people don't go getting tickets for movies they're not going to see anyway). Also included: 25% discount on the foods and drinks. To compare, one regular IMAX ticket on a regular evening costs €14,50. Pass holders also get an Unlimited Night four or five times a year, a special preview of a movie that has not been released yet.

Today, I'm going to War For The Planet Of The Apes and to the Unlimited Night preview of Atomic Blonde (official release over here is August 10), tomorrow I'm going to see Baby Driver for the third time because a mate hasn't seen it yet. Don't feel like going to the city for just one movie so we're probably going to Valerian or Dunkirk afterwards.

On 25-7-2017 at 10:17 AM, TheVader66 said:

Anyways the new trailer for Justice League came out for Comic-Con. It has me more pumped for the movie, I am really loving Aquaman and the Flash in this.

I'm not psyched yet, it all feels kind of forced. I'll definitely go see it though, in the first week so it's still in IMAX.

On 25-7-2017 at 10:46 AM, HaSoOoN-MHD said:

If Affleck is getting replaced par the rumors can we get Jon Hamm to fill in?

Affleck wasn't a bad Batman though, it was the script that was lacking. That being said, Jon Hamm would be an awesome Batman.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not psyched yet, it all feels kind of forced. I'll definitely go see it though, in the first week so it's still in IMAX.

Affleck wasn't a bad Batman though, it was the script that was lacking. That being said, Jon Hamm would be an awesome Batman.

You just hit on the problem with DC movies - "forced". And it didn't start with Man of Steel, it started with Dark Knight Rises. I know a lot of people worship Christopher Nolan (and he IS skilled as a director), but that movie had a lot of forced components, and I don't just mean the "Robin" bit at the end. And don't forget, he was a producer for Man of Steel. 

You mentioned Marvel movies lacking gravitas like it's a bad thing... but that's exactly what comic book movies don't need - tons of gravitas. And hell, Winter Soldier did pretty well in the gravitas department. 

I am hopeful about Wonder Woman, and it's great that you enjoyed it. But for the other DC movies, I think the core of their issues is the same for each movie: too long, trying too hard to be serious, and the tone being all wrong. 

I like the DC characters better than Marvel, largely thanks to the excellent Bruce Timm-produced animated shows. I don't think we'll ever get a movie that measures up to those shows though, because the producers just don't understand the characters. And I do think part of that blame lies with Nolan and WB's apparent desire to use the tone from The Dark Knight in EVERY DC movie. Don't get me wrong, Nolan made 2 great films, but his interpretation of Batman is a very specific one that I think went too far in the opposite direction of the earlier more fun Batman movies. That was fine, some of thrm were too silly. But I'm ready to have fun with a Batman movie again. How many years do I need to wait?

Edited by MosesRockefeller

3 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

You mentioned Marvel movies lacking gravitas like it's a bad thing... but that's exactly what comic book movies don't need - tons of gravitas. And hell, Winter Soldier did pretty well in the gravitas department.

On the rest of your post, yeah I agree.

On this part of your post, read my old post again - I'm not talking about the lack of gravitas like it's a bad thing, I'm saying that other people tend to use that argument, while I still look forward to each new Marvel movie, even if it's "just" pulp - it's entertaining and it doesn't need to be anything more, and it actually makes me enjoy the Marvel movies more than gloomy old DC which can do nothing but have characters be brooding and fail at communication these days. I watched Spider-Man: Homecoming since that post and once again Marvel delivered a very entertaining film.

DC decided to go dark in an effort to keep the Nolan train going and to be different from Marvel, but the Nolan films (at least the first two) also had a heart, which is lacking in the newer DC films. The one entertaining film about DC characters since Dark Knight has been The LEGO Batman Movie. And now, Wonder Woman I guess, as I said before the ending drags on and there are a couple of other flaws but on the whole it's a great film and we can be glad if future DC films manage to get to this level.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

On the rest of your post, yeah I agree.

On this part of your post, read my old post again - I'm not talking about the lack of gravitas like it's a bad thing, I'm saying that other people tend to use that argument, while I still look forward to each new Marvel movie, even if it's "just" pulp - it's entertaining and it doesn't need to be anything more, and it actually makes me enjoy the Marvel movies more than gloomy old DC which can do nothing but have characters be brooding and fail at communication these days. I watched Spider-Man: Homecoming since that post and once again Marvel delivered a very entertaining film.

DC decided to go dark in an effort to keep the Nolan train going and to be different from Marvel, but the Nolan films (at least the first two) also had a heart, which is lacking in the newer DC films. The one entertaining film about DC characters since Dark Knight has been The LEGO Batman Movie. And now, Wonder Woman I guess, as I said before the ending drags on and there are a couple of other flaws but on the whole it's a great film and we can be glad if future DC films manage to get to this level.

I worded that poorly. What I meant was that people complain (as you mentioned) about Marvel movies being slight/fluffy but that's exactly what comic book movies should be. I think people forget the source material for these movies. And one thing the DC movie producers/directors fail to grasp is that Frank Miller is not the only person who wrote decent comic stories. Dark themes work sometimes but as a whole they need to lighten up. I'd rather have Batman Forever than the crap we've been getting.

I own the Dark Knight Trilogy Blu-ray set (which was dumb of me, seeing Dark Knight Rises twice was 1.5 times too many), and there is an interesting extra on there where Nolan chats with Richard Donner (the director of the first 1.5 Christopher Reeve Superman movies). At one point Donner says he'd like to see Nolan make a comedy... I don't think he ever will or even can. I like that he made 2 successful Batman movies, but I'd love to see the franchise (and DC movies as a whole) move back towards some of the fun that the Marvel Cinematic Universe understands better.

And while I'm at it, can we stop with the 2.5 hour movies? 2 hours should be the maximum for comic book movies (and 90 minutes for straight comedies). I don't like this trend that longer means better... it just gives directors an excuse to make movies bloated. We need better editors.

I do want to see Wonder Woman, once it's available to rent. I hardly ever make it to the theater anymore. Star Wars Episode 8 will probably be my next theater movie.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

On 7/31/2017 at 1:09 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Here in Holland, the Pathé cinema group has an "Unlimited" pass, there's loads of Pathé cinemas across the country. I have the gold pass version - €26 per month, unlimited access to all movies including 3D, IMAX and Atmos with the only restriction being that you can only get one ticket every 90 minutes (so people don't go getting tickets for movies they're not going to see anyway). Also included: 25% discount on the foods and drinks. To compare, one regular IMAX ticket on a regular evening costs €14,50. Pass holders also get an Unlimited Night four or five times a year, a special preview of a movie that has not been released yet.

Today, I'm going to War For The Planet Of The Apes and to the Unlimited Night preview of Atomic Blonde (official release over here is August 10), tomorrow I'm going to see Baby Driver for the third time because a mate hasn't seen it yet. Don't feel like going to the city for just one movie so we're probably going to Valerian or Dunkirk afterwards.

Holy Shit, that sounds like really good deal for 26 Euros a month, you can see all the movies that are coming out. That is awesome especially for this year with all the Great movies that have come out like The War for the Planet of the Apes, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and then there is the movies that are coming out like Justice League and Star Wars Episode 8.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:09 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I understand that feeling, I kinda wished they would have at least done an Aquaman Solo Movie before the Justice League. I would have also said that they need to do a Flash Solo Movie as well before Justice League but it seems that in Justice League that he is going to learn how to be a better hero by fighting along side the other heroes. So a Solo Movie for the Flash would be alright after Justice League.

Edited by TheVader66

On 31-7-2017 at 5:28 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

And while I'm at it, can we stop with the 2.5 hour movies? 2 hours should be the maximum for comic book movies (and 90 minutes for straight comedies). I don't like this trend that longer means better... it just gives directors an excuse to make movies bloated. We need better editors.

Picking this part because I disagree with it; Yes they shouldn't go for 2.5 hours just because they can but if it fits the story... For instance, Hot Fuzz is a police comedy that certainly deserves its two hour runtime. Captain America: Civil War clocks in at almost 2.5 hours and it wasn't bloated. Outside of the comic/comedy genres, Quentin Tarantino's movies are often very long but never really bloated.

On the other hand, the Marvel films that are not Avengers or Captain America rarely go past the two hour mark and contrast to DC (or Transformers, for that mater) people never seem to think that the Marvel films go on for too long.

Of course, Marvel has other problems, like every single superhero with their own movie being a Straight White Man. Luckily, the idiot responsible for choices like that (and who said shit like how Terrence Howard from Iron Man 1 could easily be replaced by Don Cheadle because people wouldn't tell the difference anyway) is not in control any more and in the next two years we're getting both a female superhero (Captain Marvel), a black superhero (Black Panther) and a male/female superhero combo (Ant-Man And The Wasp).

On 6-8-2017 at 11:52 AM, TheVader66 said:

Holy Shit, that sounds like really good deal for 26 Euros a month, you can see all the movies that are coming out. That is awesome especially for this year with all the Great movies that have come out like The War for the Planet of the Apes, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and then there is the movies that are coming out like Justice League and Star Wars Episode 8.

Yeah, it's a good time to be alive for a movie fanatic with an unlimited cinema pass. I see your list and I raise you Baby Driver, Kingsmen 2, Kong: Skull Island, Spider-Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword, The Hitman's Bodyguard, IT, The Dark Tower...

Good year for movie goers, indeed. Though I've had my pass for about five years now and I've always managed to find enough to want to go to for my pass to be profitable every month.

On 6-8-2017 at 11:52 AM, TheVader66 said:

I understand that feeling, I kinda wished they would have at least done an Aquaman Solo Movie before the Justice League. I would have also said that they need to do a Flash Solo Movie as well before Justice League but it seems that in Justice League that he is going to learn how to be a better hero by fighting along side the other heroes. So a Solo Movie for the Flash would be alright after Justice League.

Flash in this trailers feels like an exact replica of Spider-Man from Captain America: Civil War - newbie superhero who doesn't "get" the main rules yet (Spider-Man quips too much during battle, Flash doesn't get the "sneak away while Gordon is not looking" thing). A lot of what DC is doing outside of the comics themselves is what other people have done already.

Though I really have to give them credit for making a female superhero movie before Marvel, and for setting it in WW1 instead of WW2, which would have been the easy choice and which has been done to death already.

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Picking this part because I disagree with it; Yes they shouldn't go for 2.5 hours just because they can but if it fits the story... For instance, Hot Fuzz is a police comedy that certainly deserves its two hour runtime. Captain America: Civil War clocks in at almost 2.5 hours and it wasn't bloated. Outside of the comic/comedy genres, Quentin Tarantino's movies are often very long but never really bloated.

On the other hand, the Marvel films that are not Avengers or Captain America rarely go past the two hour mark and contrast to DC (or Transformers, for that mater) people never seem to think that the Marvel films go on for too long.

Of course, Marvel has other problems, like every single superhero with their own movie being a Straight White Man. Luckily, the idiot responsible for choices like that (and who said shit like how Terrence Howard from Iron Man 1 could easily be replaced by Don Cheadle because people wouldn't tell the difference anyway) is not in control any more and in the next two years we're getting both a female superhero (Captain Marvel), a black superhero (Black Panther) and a male/female superhero combo (Ant-Man And The Wasp).

Okay, you used my biggest disappointment from the MCU as an example, so I have to respond. Civil War used its runtime very poorly. We get a lot of runtime in the beginning spent on showing us collateral damage, then we have 2 minutes of a General who probably caused tons of collateral damage in his attempts at capturing The Hulk, telling them that they need to be supervised. Tony Stark is no idiot, he should have been saying "wait a minute, why the hell would we listen to you of all people"? The villain has too little time spent on his background and motivations, and worst of all, the death of Tony's parents was handled badly. The heavily marketed divide between the two sides boiled down to Captain keeping a secret from Tony for his own good. The only redeeming parts of that movie were the introduction of Black Panther and Spider-Man. Oh, and showing Ant-Man again. My counter-argument to Civil War is that if it doesn't feel bloated at 2.5 hours, it shows terrible story decisions, making poor use of that run time. I think a much more satisfying movie could have been made within a 2 hour runtime.

I see directors and fans justifying long run times, saying that stories can't be told in shorter times. Then how did it work in the past? In the 80's, comedies were 90 minutes, and those are the ones that are loved and remembered as classics. One word: EDITING. Editing has gotten sloppy in the past few years.

Hot Fuzz is an exception that I will grant you. It isn't a straight comedy though, it turns into an action movie and stays entertaining throughout.

Quentin Tarantino is a weird one. I think he's overrated but I have enjoyed several of his movies. His movies aren't really creating trends though, they're few and far between. Compare that with superhero movies now coming out every few months, and they all seem to be going longer. Even Guardians 2 was over 2 hours. One of the reasons Ant-Man and Doctor Strange were so enjoyable was that they were just under 2 hours, and they never overstayed their welcome.

The DCU has been off to a very rocky start, and although I did enjoy BvS (pretty much only because of Affleck's stellar performance as Batman), I feel like the first good DCEU movie is Wonder Woman. Justice League is a little rushed since we haven't even got a standalone for most characters, but Steppenwolf does look pretty cool. MCU spent years building the universe and even then there are times where I'm disappointed when it does come time for a team up like the first Avengers movie. If Justice League is successful and they proceed with Darkseid as the next villain I just hope they don't completely massacre him like they did with Doomsday and Lex. 

On 10/08/2017 at 11:01 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Okay, you used my biggest disappointment from the MCU as an example, so I have to respond. Civil War used its runtime very poorly.

My main issue with Civil War is that the name is misleading. Ok movie, but not as good as it should have been.

On 15/08/2017 at 0:47 PM, ObliviousSenpai said:

The DCU has been off to a very rocky start,

I thought Man of Steel was a reasonably good start. It was true to the comics of All Star Superman and Superman: Birthright, as well as Jerry Siegel's vision for the character. They made Kal-El feel real and not a caricature that is "boring".

Edited by Eraezr

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

You say that like it's a good thing...... Oh well, can't be any worse than the first one..... can it?

Well, Wonder Woman was the first movie in the DCEU that was actually good, and  Justice League was much better than Batman v Superman, not that it was a high bar. And not that Justice League was flawless.

It really bothers me that they're stumbling so much since Batman is one of my favourite comic book characters.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:17 AM, damage_6-9 said:

You say that like it's a good thing...... Oh well, can't be any worse than the first one..... can it?

I'd imagine it to be simple, fun and memorable you know............damage_6-9 you gotta take a look on the bright side of things um.....positivity and hope is what you wanna keep in mind when these films release sometimes you need to lie to yourself for the movie to be good.:popcorn: just joking but in all seriousness I've only seen the Extended Cut and the Directors Cuts of these films due to the divisive reviews from fans and critics a like but Suicide Squad left me more entertained than Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice so seeing as things have been taking a turn for the better or the dull and generic. I think it all viewers can expect a more thrilling experience with the upcoming DC films my money is obviously on Suicide Squad 2 on bringing more hope to the DC film universe the same way Wonder Women did. :blah:

Edited by Shaowsintzu
  • Like 1

The Justice League movie was not hot garbage, but it still had a ton of pacing and tone problems. Plus the internal film logic was kinda iffy. The movie felt like it needed another hour to play things out more, but I know most people would have been upset if it was a 3 hour long movie.

• 1 month later...

Was not expecting the Snyder Cut advocates to reach 169k on the petition. Even if the platform has no soft power for change, the gesture and presence of that many dedicated fans of Zack's is impressive.

Edited by Eraezr