Silent Hill HD Collection gets PS3 patch, Xbox patch cancelled

Lady Lilith

http://www.examiner.com/article/silent-hill-hd-collection-on-ps3-gets-patch-xbox-patch-cancelled-by-konami

e322c963e37c526338f1be059cd5d7a5.jpg

Konami promised to patch the game up back in July, and now Playstation 3 owners are getting said patch. The patch will fix a number of issues, including framerate problems, voice-synching issues, missing music and fog density issues.

We know what you're asking, what about the Xbox 360 port of the game? No dice says Konami. Owners of the Xbox version of the game won't be getting the patch due to what they are calling "technical issues and resources". We're not certain what that means, since the money Xbox Live players pay for the service covers the overhead for companies to update games.

There's no word on if Konami will hand out refunds for the Xbox 360 owners or even stop the sale of the game on that platform. We're still baffled as to why they can't or won't fix the game on the Xbox.

Nevertheless, if you're an Xbox owner and a "Silent Hill" fan, deal with the bugs or don't play at all. Gotta love that Konami.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Bethesda doing the complete opposite.

• Like 1

hmm thats interresting. i didnt know about bugs, and i am shocked they pretty much told xbox to fuck off :P

seems like im in luck, i have never played any of the silent hill games. Ive been thinking about getting this for a while, and then i completely forgot of the games existance. i need to look for a good price for this game on the internet and hopefully i will be able to play it soon :)

Finally!! I've been letting that game sit on my shelf since day one because I didn't want the dream to be shattered. SH2 is among... hell, it is my all time favorite game. Playing a FUBAR'd version of it just wasn't an option so there it sat. Can't wait to play an HD version, even if it can't only be called Pseudo HD at best :)

The Silent Hill Collection is a HD remake that has slipped my grasp. I adore the series, and I'll most definitely get it at some stage. However, I wasn't aware of the issues with the game as none of my friends who bought the game mentioned anything about it. Ah well, least they fixed it... for the PS3 anyways. :P

I wonder if this has anything to do with Bethesda doing the complete opposite.

What that article said about "the money Xbox Live players pay for the service covers the overhead for companies to update games" is a complete crock of shit. There's well documented evidence that developers / publishers have to pay for patches to be pushed through, hence why Fez will never get a patch to fix its save corruption glitch.

I doubt it's got anything to do with Beth or Zenimax, given that Konami's completely separate from them in every meaningful way. Most likely it's a cost / manpower thing.

It does, however, mean that I need to get the collection, if they fixed the borkedness of it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

As ridiculous as it sounds I've never played the SH games, now I've been wanting to pick up the HD collection but after seeing how messed up the remaster was I never got around buying it.

Is there anyone here that can shed some light on the changes they made with the patches? Is it considerably better now? Would you guys recommend this HD edition or should I just go for the PS2 original?

• Like 1

As ridiculous as it sounds I've never played the SH games, now I've been wanting to pick up the HD collection but after seeing how messed up the remaster was I never got around buying it.

Is there anyone here that can shed some light on the changes they made with the patches? Is it considerably better now? Would you guys recommend this HD edition or should I just go for the PS2 original?

Just finished SH2 HD. I'm currently going through my SH3 platinum run (also finished that game). Quickly I can say that the HD remaster post patch is definately worth picking up. The lip-syncing issue is gone (except for two scenes, one in SH2 and the other in SH3). The issue where fog is absent has been fixed. The framerate is also stable now minus a few hiccups here and there. More importantly the game no longer crashes at all. I would highly recommend picking up the game since both are masterpieces of the survival horror genre. SH2 in my opinion is also the greatest game ever made.

P.S: Also the new voice acting is better than the originals if you were wondering.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I heard the HD Collection is inferior to the original versions which is a shocker. Have they improved the games though since then?

Just read my previous post on this page. They're still are a lot of flaws with the HD collection but almost all game breaking issues have been fixed. It's highly playable but If you have a decent or even low end PC just go with the PC version. It's in HD and is exactly the same as the original PS2 version (no unnecessary texture changes). The PS3 version is still better than the PS2 version which looks terrible on a HD TV. The new voice acting in SH2 is much better than the originals but on the downside Silent Hill 3 has worse voice acting.

EDIT: Comparison pics

http://img715.images...4/heatherpc.jpg (PC)

http://img19.imagesh.../heatherps3.jpg (PS3)

Notice the lack of depth of field on the PS3.

http://img24.imagesh...700/knifepc.jpg (PC)

http://img813.images...98/knifeps3.jpg (PS3)

Notice the missing rust in the PS3 pic.

Basically small issues like these make the PC version better.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt

I heard the HD Collection is inferior to the original versions which is a shocker. Have they improved the games though since then?

I don't notice any differences besides the voice acting. The graphics were touched up a little. You could switch to the original voices, but I think only 3 had that option. The so-called bugs and glitches aren't gamebreakers and I think it's worth getting.

The new voice acting in SH2 is much better than the originals but on the downside Silent Hill 3 has worse voice acting.

We've all heard worse.

• Like 1

Just read my previous post on this page. They're still are a lot of flaws with the HD collection but almost all game breaking issues have been fixed. It's highly playable but If you have a decent or even low end PC just go with the PC version. It's in HD and is exactly the same as the original PS2 version (no unnecessary texture changes). The PS3 version is still better than the PS2 version which looks terrible on a HD TV. The new voice acting in SH2 is much better than the originals but on the downside Silent Hill 3 has worse voice acting.

EDIT: Comparison pics

http://img715.images...4/heatherpc.jpg (PC)

http://img19.imagesh.../heatherps3.jpg (PS3)

Notice the lack of depth of field on the PS3.

http://img24.imagesh...700/knifepc.jpg (PC)

http://img813.images...98/knifeps3.jpg (PS3)

Notice the missing rust in the PS3 pic.

Basically small issues like these make the PC version better.

Ok problem, where do I get the PC versions?

Ok problem, where do I get the PC versions?

Try Amazon or Ebay. You can get a used copy for around 20$ but a new copy might be expensive. You can also try your local videogame retailer. The problem is that PC version has been out of print for awhile. If you can't find the PC version then just go with the HD collection. It's actually pretty good. Silent Hill 3 still looks stunning in HD even though PS3 version lacks a few effects and textures.

Edited by Crimson-Cobalt

• 7 months later...

I don't notice any differences besides the voice acting. The graphics were touched up a little. You could switch to the original voices, but I think only 3 had that option. The so-called bugs and glitches aren't gamebreakers and I think it's worth getting.

We've all heard worse.

The game still crashes, it "stutters" very often, it's pitch dark in some areas, the resolution is inferior to PC, even though the PC version is ten years old!!! the new voices are horrible, you don't even have the choice to hear the original voices in SH3, and generally the HD Collection is a shameless case of quick cash-in from Konami. I had to restart the game four times because of game breaking glitches and the two save limit (for certain trophies). It's pure luck getting some trophies under such conditions. I played it only because I love Silent Hill 2.

Edited by Konstantin_1
  • Like 1