What to expect from Resonance of Fate

Sigma999

This hidden gem of the last gen has been sitting on my backlog for like 2 years . I always wanted to begin the journey but as it's a JRPG with a steep learning curve and so i try to avoid until i have the time (plenty of) and mood to start.

What are your opinions about the learning curve of this game?

I'm kind of tempting to pursue the platinum also  when i start playing for real . Hoping it will be enjoyable as Dark Souls to make me happy to achieve to platinum as even with 3 playtroughts, i still wasn't bored .

From what I remember the learning curve wasn't to bad but it becomes important to understand the relationship between hg's and mg's and how to maximize your damage output especially during later parts of the game.  But I would definitely recommend playing it.  It had one of the most fun and innovative combat system I had seen in awhile.

• Like 1

It's excellent! One of the best RPGs out there, in my honest opinion. That's mainly down to the really addictive combat system that, like others have mentioned above, does take a little getting used to, but when it clicks it's enormous fun.

It's very light on story, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your tastes.

• Like 1

From what I remember once you get used to the battle system the game isn't even that hard with the difficulty increased. There were only a few times in the final playthrough that I found somewhat challenging. Most of the fights were much easier though because I knew what to do in each case.

Game is amazing

• Like 1

It burnt me out when I first played it back in 2010 (mainly because of the grind involved with fighting in the arena and I got stuck on a boss fight).  I recently went back to it to try and get back into it by starting it from scratch, but it just didnt grip me as much as the first time around.  I know that I will go back to it at some point but there are just too many better games to play.

Good luck if you do go for the platinum, its a long one.

• 9 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 7:00 PM, Sigma999 said:

This hidden gem of the last gen has been sitting on my backlog for like 2 years . I always wanted to begin the journey but as it's a JRPG with a steep learning curve and so i try to avoid until i have the time (plenty of) and mood to start.

What are your opinions about the learning curve of this game?

I'm kind of tempting to pursue the platinum also  when i start playing for real . Hoping it will be enjoyable as Dark Souls to make me happy to achieve to platinum as even with 3 playtroughts, i still wasn't bored .

There is a bit of a learning curve. It really isn't too bad. It's not a short game, but the NG+ is not what is going to add to the time! :P Early on you just gotta figure out how the game works, and later it pushes you a bit to learn the game even better.

• Enemies only move when you do!
  • Use hero attacks, a lot, but make sure you never run out of those points you use for them! Jumping above enemies helps a lot.
  • Get all the Bezel shards you can find as early as possible. Increases the amount of hero attacks you can store in a fight.
  • Scratch first with a rifle, then attack with a pistol/gun.
  • The tall dude should use the rifle the most, because he learns the "full scratch" abilities earlier!
  • Don't be afraid of using items! Some bosses are made much easier attacking them with something they are weak to.
  • Leveling up your characters helps a bit, but upgrading your weapons can help even more.
  • At the end there is some boss in the arena, I can't remember the number (around 40-50 somewhere, it's two or three choppers or something), but it can be used to level up your characters really fast. Just make sure not to kill all the enemies in that round (because it's a one-time only boss, which disappears if you beat it, just end the fight to still keep the exp). We're talking like 2-3 levels per fight when you're near maxing (level 100) one of the three weapons. To get this effect you must also have 2 of the exp boosting equipment on and linked 1.5 times exp and double effect to the arena. This is really fast compared to any other way in the game, and once you hit max rifle level, or near that, you will be able to "scratch" enemies completely 100% of the time with a full charge in a hero attack. Makes a HUGE difference for some really hard fights. Really, at that point nothing is hard anymore, making NG+ a complete joke if you pick the same difficulty so everything carries over.
  • The arena is a chore.
  • Make sure to complete all quests before going to the next chapter, you will be asked if you want to progress to the next chapter at the end of every chapter. Just check the mission board to see if you miss any.
  • From chapter 6 or whatever, you can start abusing a little trick to quickly earn infinite money. Buy materials from a wandering seller (can be a bit random about where they appear, just re-enter a couple of times to force the spawn), then create a certain item, which you can sell with profit.
Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

There is a bit of a learning curve. It really isn't too bad. It's not a short game, but the NG+ is not what is going to add to the time! :P Early on you just gotta figure out how the game works, and later it pushes you a bit to learn the game even better.

• Enemies only move when you do!
  • Use hero attacks, a lot, but make sure you never run out of those points you use for them! Jumping above enemies helps a lot.
  • Get all the Bezel shards you can find as early as possible. Increases the amount of hero attacks you can store in a fight.
  • Scratch first with a rifle, then attack with a pistol/gun.
  • The tall dude should use the rifle the most, because he learns the "full scratch" abilities earlier!
  • Don't be afraid of using items! Some bosses are made much easier attacking them with something they are weak to.
  • Leveling up your characters helps a bit, but upgrading your weapons can help even more.
  • At the end there is some boss in the arena, I can't remember the number, but it can be used to level up your characters really fast. Just make sure not to kill all the enemies in that round. We're talking like 2-3 levels when you're near maxing (level 100) one of the three weapons. To get this effect you must also have 2 of the exp boosting equipment on and linked 1.5 times exp and double effect to the arena. This is really fast compared to any other way in the game, and once you hit max rifle level, or near that, you will be able to "scratch" enemies completely 100% of the time with a full charge in a hero attack. Makes a HUGE difference for some really hard fights. Really, at that point nothing is hard anymore, making NG+ a complete joke if you pick the same difficulty so everything carries over.
  • The arena is a chore.
  • Make sure to complete all quests before going to the next chapter, you will be asked if you want to progress to the next chapter at the end of every chapter. Just check the mission board to see if you miss any.
  • From chapter 6 or whatever, you can start abusing a little trick to quickly earn infinite money.

Thanks for the heads up after so much time i post this thread . Meanwhile i haven't start Resonance of Fate yet but hopefully i'll begin somewhere around the beginning of next year .

Those advices and tips you gave will prove helpful to get around ;)

Its a great Game I loved it, Its hard to begin with but gets easier, then silly hard again =p I got to the last boss, but could never defeat him =[

The game has one of my favorite trophies though, Load 1 TB of data =P

Once you get to the end the game gets super easy again due to how easy it is to level to max then and have insanely upgraded weapons etc. :)

Anyway, in case people haven't noticed, look at all the chapter complete trophies. The images placed on top of each other makes out one long picture!

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2016 at 6:11 AM, Sigma999 said:

Thanks for the heads up after so much time i post this thread . Meanwhile i haven't start Resonance of Fate yet but hopefully i'll begin somewhere around the beginning of next year .

Those advices and tips you gave will prove helpful to get around ;)

Have you still not played this? It's a pretty good game!

• Like 2