How do you like your games?

Jacob_Neal01

I'm just interested in everyone's methods of getting games. Such as, downloads or physical copy? Pre-owned, brand new or rental?

I'd also like to know the cheapest way to play games. I've been getting through them fairly quick recently, but don't have any money to buy new ones. eBay / pre-owned from the store always seems good, but maybe a rental would be better for me? Anyone know a good UK game rental service?

The digital vs physical topic exists in several versions here.

(It was locked) http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/24695-do-you-prefer-your-games-physical-or-digital/?hl=%20digital

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15986-retail-disc-vs-digital-download-questions/?hl=%2Bdigital

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/1724-physical-vs-digital-full-retail/?hl=digital

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/7381-digital-game-or-physical-disk/?hl=digital

To answer the second part, I know that if you were in the US you could take advantage of GameStop's return policy for pre-owned games, which unless it's changed was you could return it within 7 days so just keep it for 6 and return it when the time was about to be up.

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

I like my games playable. The method of play doesn't matter much to me.

As for cheapest, flash sales on the na store are the cheapest. If you want to sell your games back, buying used and then selling them again would probably be cheaper than a renting service. I don't do that though so I'm not the best person to answer.

• Like 1

I like getting my games new, but I usually wait for sales. Amazon is really great for this reason, but I've been using PSN a lot too, as there are lots of sales on PSN as well. I rarely use rentals, as I like to spend times with my games when I play them. I'd only rent a game if I were in it for the trophies, but I'm not usually that kind of gamer.

As far as cheap games, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the Playstation Network, as Flash Sales are fairly frequent. Also, getting a PS+ subscription is a great idea, as there are quite a few gems I've gotten to play as a result of the service. 

I suppose I forgot to mention I'm in the UK. I mean I said UK service but it's missable :P

I generally like to have my games, so selling back and rental aren't ideal, but it can be good so I don't have to waste money if I don't like the game...

I might try a free trial for a rental on boomerang, and just keep my eye out on PSN and at my local game for pre-owned then

THANKS PEEPS xD

I prefer physical, but I'm not above going digital if I see a really good bargain. I get a few new release pre-orders a year but overall I spend more on pre-owned titles because there's a lot of good stuff for good prices be it games I was interested in but just didn't have the cash at the time, titles I just missed completely, or the odd and unusual games that may not have been perfect but there's something interesting to them that I don't mind paying for at the prices they're going for.

I suppose I forgot to mention I'm in the UK. I mean I said UK service but it's missable :P

I generally like to have my games, so selling back and rental aren't ideal, but it can be good so I don't have to waste money if I don't like the game...

I might try a free trial for a rental on boomerang, and just keep my eye out on PSN and at my local game for pre-owned then

THANKS PEEPS xD

Haha sorry, I must be out of it right now as I forgot to finish where I was going with that. I meant to add on that if Game has anything like that, assuming there's even one around you, then you might be able to do something similar there.

Varies.

Generally like most people on here I like seeing the physical copy, and it's less management, particularly if I get a sub-account which I may do for games I can't get in the EU store.

However, if the game is cheaper on the store, and if it's not a game with a fancy cover then I go on the store and buy the game(s). My latest purchase being Sleeping Dogs

My advice if you're not concerned about the method of getting games then just go with whatever is cheaper. Check your local retailers, search the game on the PS store. If you're not concerned with pre-owned then go eBay.

As for rentals (If you're a trophy hunter - and do your games in 1 sitting) then going for rentals might be easier. I personally wouldn't do it if it's a game I won't do in 1 sitting, or a game that I have the intention of playing in the future.

As for rental sites.. This might be worth a look - http://www.boomerangrentals.co.uk/search_results.php?Console=PS4&category=&certificate=&phrase=&page=2

P.S: Page 2 onwards is for games currently released, and available for rental.

I like both physical and digital. Here's why:

With physical copies, I can find them cheaper online within a couple of weeks to a month after its initial release. Not only that, they save a ton of space on the HDD (depending on the game). Plus once I'm done with it, I can sell it online or trade it in.

With digital games, I can wait until its on sale, and sometimes, when they DO go on sale I can get them for (sometimes) cheaper than the physical games. Plus, I don't have to leave home! Save gas big time lol and once I can download them, I can kick back on the couch and hit "Play".

In short, both have their benefits and as a gamer, I look for how both can benefit me.

I usually buy day one if it's a game I want. Here's why

1. There's almost always a store selling it for 64 during launch week, which is usually the lowest a good game will go for here for a good year usually.

2. Because if there's a preorder bonus and it doesn't cost any extra, even though I dislike the idea, I may as well grab it. They aren't going to stop doing that for me.

3. Playing before everyone gets around to reviewing or spoiling it is also good.

I rarely buy digital because usually the digital prices are either the same or most of the time even higher than retail (see $64 above), I only buy digital if it's

1. Digital only.

2. A really good deal, like, physical is 50 or so, and digital is 25.

I often buy preowned games though, when

1. It's a fair price, Cashies often have PS4 games for 30 or less, though usually by the time they're in there I've already got them/don't want them.

2. I don't want to support the developer/something they did that rubbed me the wrong way.

3. It's a game you can't get new any more.

4. It's a PS2 or earlier game and I know I'll probably never see another copy anyway.

I recently started renting again, as the library that opened up not too far from here stocks PS4 games and they're free to rent for 3 weeks, with the option to renew for another 3 if no one else has put in an order for that game. I've only rented 3 games from them so far, but that number is sure to grow. I'd rent a LOT more if I could, but video stores have sadly gone the way of the dodo and the only one I know near me that even rents games is a good half hour's bus ride from here and don't have many games anyways.

• Like 1