SFV or SFIV?

GaryHyphenJon

So i've never played Street Fighter before and kinda want to try it out, so I was wondering which one would be better for a beginner to grab and learn to play.

Obviously, SFV will be the main game for the rest of the console generation, but is it the one that beginners should start out on?  Or, should they start with the older one, and learn how it plays first?

I know SFIV is cheaper, but I'm willing to pay the extra for SFV if it is the one worth getting.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Obviously, SFV will be the main game for the rest of the console generation, but is it the one that beginners should start out on?

Yes, defintely. The fundamentals are almost universal for all 1-on-1 2D movement based fighting games.

SFV is no exception and has been one of the more novice friendly games in the genre in quite some time.

I know SFIV is cheaper, but I'm willing to pay the extra for SFV if it is the one worth getting

Keep in mind the servers and the Online Network specifically designed for  Street Fighter V  has had a very mediocre launch. It doesn't detract from the game itself as this is more of a support/feature issue than the actual game.  As product that's sold on the market is it worth the $60 to the regular consumer? No, absolutely not.  It has too many issues at the moment that keep me from recommending it openly.

The single player modes are very much lacking, story modes are just 3-4 very easy fights with each character and gives just a few scenes that give a bit of background of each character.  Some of it is stuff that's already been discussed in past games, other misc. media and the community as well.  The proper " Story " mode won't be out until march as a free update. Survival mode is just round after round of 1R matches with a few modifiers in between matches.

If you're enthusiastic to learn a new fighting game or you just want to "gitgud" as they say.  Its a very solid game, training mode has some cool features that are overall just a one up from Ultra/Super/AE IV.  The fighting feels tight, characters feel fresh yet familiar. Summing it up: as a local game its just plain fun but the online component has just been a pain in the ass these last few days. I'd blame my connection but during beta 3 I got well over 25-30 matches in just one day of playing, I could barely practice my combos due to the fluid matchmaking, now its like I'm lucky if I get one match in 3 hours of waiting on the Ranked Matchmaking Please Wait/Loading Screen.

You can see for yourself..... Official SFV Server Twitter

Edit: Capcom are also uploading character specific guides that should be helpful when learning a character. StreetFighter YT Channel

Edited by Ramonachan

Super Street Fighter IV on 3DS was 10 bucks or something on a sale the other day, I paid the same for it a year or so ago. It's a pretty sweet game, even on 3DS. Can only be better on a console really. I'd say get the old cheap one, play the crap out of it, then when you're done, the new one will be cheaper and have all the patches done for it.

This game will undoubtedly teach you fundamentals. In SF4, you can get away with a bunch of crap that it was downright ridiculous. I remember doing a ton of DPs in many matches and I ended up winning many of those. In SFV, I can't do that because of crush counter combos. This game will teach you to be a patient player and overall stresses the importance of the footsie game.

Also, it's a bit more "noob" friendly.  :)

Edited by Leonmyster

Just get SFV. It a easier game to learn and even though there isn't much content in the game right now, a ton of free stuff is coming. Even all the new characters will be free if you put some time into the game.

SFIV is the harder game to learn and it's full of gimmicks that make the game unfun for new players. The biggest problem with trying to learn SFIV now is skill transference. Even if you get good at SFIV only so much of those skills will transfer to SFV and those skill will be easier to obtain in SFV

People keep saying SFV single player modes are lacking, but I don't think that's true. If you care about the SF storyline than the current story mode is a pretty good set up for bigger story mode we are getting later and the Survival mode is a good place to practice using your character of choice. I'm not sure what people were expecting, especially when capcom told us months in advance that most of the single player modes would not be in the February launch, but nowadays gamers will complain about everything little thing that doesn't go their way.  

However, like any fighting game made after 2010 the real meat of the game is the online mode, and even with the current launch problems SFV online mode is great.

However, at the end of the day SFIV is a 8 year old game that's hard to learn and harder to master while SFV is a brand new game that's easier to learn and just as hard to master.

From personal experience since I haven't played SF since one of the Alphas, I say go ahead and get SFV. I only played for several hours today and I'm picking up on it more than I thought I would. For me it boils down to trying out all the characters and seeing which one you're more comfortable with, then sticking with them and learning more about the do's and dont's. As others have said and from watching streams, IV is more complicated and you have to really get down to learning the characters if you want to be good at it, but at this point it might not be worth getting, since I'm sure once Capcom fixes the online issues more people will migrate over to SFV.

In its current state SFV is an unfinished game being sold at full price, there's no two ways about it. If you're fine with the concept of early access being sold to you at full price with the majority of the game being added through DLC over the course of a few years, then by any means go for it. It's probably the better choice for beginners from a gameplay point of view.

So i've never played Street Fighter before and kinda want to try it out, so I was wondering which one would be better for a beginner to grab and learn to play.

Obviously, SFV will be the main game for the rest of the console generation, but is it the one that beginners should start out on?  Or, should they start with the older one, and learn how it plays first?

I know SFIV is cheaper, but I'm willing to pay the extra for SFV if it is the one worth getting.

Thanks for the help.

I'd say right now hold off on buying any of them. SFV has too many issues to deal with at the moment and is very lacking in terms of content. They will be adding an arcade and challenge mode later on as well as daily challenges. And let's not forget the story update that'll follow shortly. All in all, get SFV after March, I think at that point all the content SFV was meant to have will be in the actual game. Almost forgot to mention that out of those two games, SFV is the one that's more beginner friendly. :)

All in all, get SFV after March, I think at that point all the content SFV was meant to have will be in the actual game.

Why do people keep saying this? The only differences between buying SFV now and buying it in March-June is that there will be people with 1-4 months more experience with the game than you and you will lose out on opportunities to earn the six DLC for free without having to grind really hard or spend extra money.

SFV will still cost $60 in June and the only time I see it going on sale is during a EVO sale that may save you $10-$15.

If a person wants to play SFV within the next 6 months then there is no reason not to get it now to start learning and enjoying the game.

Also sorry Xugashi if it seems like I picking on you or something. You were just the last person to bring this suggestion up. 

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 2

Why do people keep saying this? The only differences between buying SFV now and buying it in March-June is that there will be people with 1-4 months more experience with the game than you and you will lose out on opportunities to earn the six DLC for free without having to grind really hard or spend extra money.

SFV will still cost $60 in June and the only time I see it going on sale is during a EVO sale that may save you $10-$15.

If a person wants to play SFV within the next 6 months then there is no reason not to get it now to start learning and enjoying the game.

Also sorry Xugashi if it seems like I picking on you or something. You were just the last person to bring this suggestion up. 

I knew your intentions bro, no offense taken! :) On to business, the reason why I told him to get the game later is so that he won't get disappointed content wise when he gets the game. Most people expect a finished game when they pay 60 bucks for it and most people don't even know that SFV in it's current form is just early access and that they'll add stuff later on. It seems to me that Capcom focused too much on the online experience so that players wouldn't focus too much on the lacking single player content. There are those that will be satisfied with what they have and those that won't, I'm just letting the guy know what he gets himself into so that he won't be disappointed.

Just thought everyone would like to know I bought SFV this morning and am downloading the update now.  I was leaning towards SFIV because of the price, but after thinking about it and taking everyone's suggestions into account, I decided it was better to get the latest one.  I'm looking forward to learning the deep mechanics over the next few years and hope my skills go from non-existant to almost mediocre.

Thanks again, everyone.

• 2 weeks later...