Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (Everywhere, Physical)

FlareXV

I agree that trends should be an important factor when it comes to sales, but you have to face facts that SF5 wasn't going to get boom blast numbers. Also if we go by using the "it was a different time back then", how come MKX and SB4 beat their predecessors then? 

Smash Bros is a totally different beast though, and Nintendo IP.

Smash Bros is a totally different beast though, and Nintendo IP.

Stop it, just face facts. The game flopped, the game-play itself is good and probably one of the best this gen. Mismanagement and the awful lack of basic content missing was its main problem. Console exclusivity didn't do much damage but I bet no one was dropping the other platforms just to play one game. 

Edited by FlareXV

I agree that trends should be an important factor when it comes to sales, but you have to face facts that SF5 was going to reach boom blast numbers. Also if we go by using the "it was a different time back then", how come MKX and SB4 beat their predecessors then? 

When looking at MKX you have to take into account the fact the MK games were more or less dead before MK9 came out. MK9 revitalized the series, then Injustice gave netherrealm studios some name recognition with people who never played a MK game before, which pulled them into MKX. It wasn't hard for SB4 to beat SBB since people hated SBB for years and SB as a whole got a huge boost when Nintendo let SBM be at EVO. Plus SB4 was available digitally and on two consoles instead of one like SBB.

Edit: Going down this line of thinking SF4 revivalized the series, but all the extra version (SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4) were slowly killing the series. There are other things that factor into this like the 9 year gap between SF3 and SF4, the fact that SF4 was in arcades for 9 months before the console versions were released, and of course SF4 was not released digitally. All these things and more are factors that you have to take into account when comparing old game sales to new game sales. Which is why the argument "it was a different time back then" will always be valid in these type of sales discussions.

Also you can't really compare Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and Street Fighter V. The Naruto game is a anime game, this means the main consumers of the game are fans of naruto the anime. While Street Fighter V is a non-anime competitive fighting game, this means the main consumers of the game people who like non-anime competitive fighting game. That non-anime part is more important then you would think it is.

People who like competitive anime fighters like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear do not necessarily like non-anime fighter like Street Fighter V and vice versa.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 is not a competitive anime fighter, there will never be a tournament scene that pays out $10,000+ for that game since it's a unbalanced mess of a fighting game.

Most of the people who bought that Naruto game bought it for the story mode and don't care about the VS mode, and while that load vocal minority would have you thinking that people want a story and arcade mode in SFV, Most of the people who actually keep up and play competitive fighting games bought SFV for the VS mode.

While both anime games and fighting games are a niche markets, the anime market is still a much bigger then the fighting games market.

Edited by soultaker655

Stop it, just face facts. The game flopped, the game-play itself is good and probably one of the best this gen. Mismanagement and the awful lack of basic content missing was its main problem. Console exclusivity didn't do much damage but I bet no one was dropping the other platforms just to play one game. 

rofl... Stop what? Point out that Smash Bros is a totally different kind of fighting game than Street Fighter V? I really like to play Smash Bros, I'm not a fan of most fighting games. :P

Face the facts, including Smash Bros wasn't that great of a comparison for the two reasons I gave.

Go back to the beginning of this thread to see my opinions on SFV.

Edited by MMDE

• 1 month later...

STREET FIGHTER V (CAPCOM) < 24,300

Oh, snap! I suppose there's a ton that can be taken away from these results.

1. Physical sales tracking is completely irrelevant these days. 

2. Digital sales for some titles are completely unpredictable.

3. Modeling possible sales of prior titles in a series is pointless.

Regardless of their goal, selling 1.4 million copies of any game is quite a lot of games to move. It's a solid base to sell the next group of DLC to. 

• Like 1

Oh, snap! I suppose there's a ton that can be taken away from these results.

1. Physical sales tracking is completely irrelevant these days. 

2. Digital sales for some titles are completely unpredictable.

3. Modeling possible sales of prior titles in a series is pointless.

Regardless of their goal, selling 1.4 million copies of any game is quite a lot of games to move. It's a solid base to sell the next group of DLC to. 

25 to 30% less of what Capcom was expecting is pretty bad. It seems like the cross-play and PC version was meaningless which is a shame because Capcom has really got the core-gameplay down to a T. Also people are saying that the 1.4 million number is sold in retailers not the official numbers sold to customers.