Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (Everywhere, Physical)

FlareXV

Main fighting game for Evo and other tournaments, sure. Will it be ranked as one of the best selling fighters? Not at this rate it won't. Remember, MKX sold 5 million on 5 platforms and Capcom is expecting to do 2 million copies on 2 platforms before the end of March 2016, do you think they will reach such a feat if the game is in this state right now? 

I have no problem with SF5 being the headliner of EVO, I support it. What I don't support is the thought that hype equals sales. 

It still shows that people are very interested in the game and that will lead to sales. 

But seriously i don´t get why people get so worked up when only the UK sales have been posted. Maybe we should wait and see a little how it turns out before juding. 

Cause it started maybe slow dosen´t mean that its gonna stop selling just like that.

Edited by DPatriot

A lot more people will be jumping onboard following the March and June updates, the goal does seem a bit unrealistic at the moment though

I have no doubt that SF5 will grow and I've never said it won't. The problem is that most casual gamers aren't going to jump back into a game that already gave a bad first impression, if that was the case H5 would be killing it. 

Like I keep saying, as of right now we don't know the us, jp, or digital sales so you can't say whether or not the game had a bad first week or not based on the sales of one area.

I never did, all I did was give reasons to why it the game may not succeed like MKX and Brawl have in sales. 

It still shows that people are very interested in the game and that will lead to sales. 

But seriously i don´t get why people get so worked up when only the UK sales have been posted. Maybe we should wait and see a little how it turns out before juding. 

Cause it started maybe slow dosen´t mean that its gonna stop selling just like that. 

The people registered for EVO are people who likely have SF5 now. Unless the registration form asks "Will it be your first time playing SFV ever?", we will never know if the hype will bring in big sales.

Also, no one here is making a fuss or doom and gloom in this thread, we a discussing what went wrong and how Capcom should fix it. 

Edited by FlareXV

Bad opening in Japan. Sony and Capcom can hope it has legs.

04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V # (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW 

(2009) Street Fighter IV [PS3] – 86,075 | 131,727

(2009) Street Fighter IV [360] – 37,782 | 51,152

Bad opening in Japan. Sony and Capcom can hope it has legs.

04./00. [PS4] Street Fighter V # (Capcom) {2016.02.18} (¥7.990) - 41.990 / NEW 

(2009) Street Fighter IV [PS3] – 86,075 | 131,727

(2009) Street Fighter IV [360] – 37,782 | 51,152

Does that number include digital sales?

If it doesn't include digital sales, then that number does not really show the true first week sales in japan. 

Edited by soultaker655

This whole thread is a very myopic view of something that there is very little essential information out about.

It's like all the people throwing their hands up and saying Cruz IS the next US president after the first results were back from Iowa.

This is the problem with the always-on instant information culture that has developed world wide. Reporting every little tidbit as it comes in doesn't give the whole picture.

Wait until the WHOLE picture is available to make judgments. Physical AND Digital sales and come on, world wide. No *one* country is a perfect representation of the gamers worldwide.

• Like 3

This whole thread is a very myopic view of something that there is very little essential information out about.

It's like all the people throwing their hands up and saying Cruz IS the next US president after the first results were back from Iowa.

This is the problem with the always-on instant information culture that has developed world wide. Reporting every little tidbit as it comes in doesn't give the whole picture.

Wait until the WHOLE picture is available to make judgments. Physical AND Digital sales and come on, world wide. No *one* country is a perfect representation of the gamers worldwide.

From day one, this thread was clear to its readers. 

Well, from from a casual person's perspective, I get why people are upset.  I still don't understand why folks want a weak story mode in a fighting game, but whatever.  SFV was supposed to initially come out this spring (March through June time frame).  Instead, Capcom decided to release the game earlier, so competitors can have extra time to play the game for its Capcom Pro Tour, which started this weekend in France.  I personally feel Capcom should have made USF4 as its premier game for the tournament this year and have SFV be the premier game for next year.  My only gripe about the game is that you have to play survival mode with everyone on all four difficulties on survival to unlock their primary colors.  On vanilla SF4, all you had to do was play arcade and challenge modes to unlock all colors and characters and on SSF4 you just had to play with a character x-amount of times to get their colors/taunts.  I don't mind doing challenges and stuff to unlock things, but not with everyone.  Gief is so bad -_-  Despite the negative comments and my gripe, the game itself is actually great. It's more simple to play, not that the Street Fighter franchise has ever been really complicated.  I actually feel that I lose matches because I got outplayed, not because of some BS mechanics that gives bums wins.  I can actually destroy most people because I feel I have solid fundamentals and folks can't rely on their gimmicks now.  I look forward to having Guile in April and destroy noobs with him.  For now, I'll just go ham with Nash.  I actually want to go tournaments and play in them for the first time in several years.

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

Well, from from a casual person's perspective, I get why people are upset.  I still don't understand why folks want a weak story mode in a fighting game, but whatever.  SFV was supposed to initially come out this spring (March through June time frame).  Instead, Capcom decided to release the game earlier, so competitors can have extra time to play the game for its Capcom Pro Tour, which started this weekend in France.  I personally feel Capcom should have made USF4 as its premier game for the tournament this year and have SFV be the premier game for next year.  My only gripe about the game is that you have to play survival mode with everyone on all four difficulties on survival to unlock their primary colors.  On vanilla SF4, all you had to do was play arcade and challenge modes to unlock all colors and characters and on SSF4 you just had to play with a character x-amount of times to get their colors/taunts.  I don't mind doing challenges and stuff to unlock things, but not with everyone.  Gief is so bad -_-  Despite the negative comments and my gripe, the game itself is actually great. It's more simple to play, not that the Street Fighter franchise has ever been really complicated.  I actually feel that I lose matches because I got outplayed, not because of some BS mechanics that gives bums wins.  I can actually destroy most people because I feel I have solid fundamentals and folks can't rely on their gimmicks now.  I look forward to having Guile in April and destroy noobs with him.  For now, I'll just go ham with Nash.  I actually want to go tournaments and play in them for the first time in several years.

The real kicker about the colors bit is if you want them for any additional costumes as well, you'll be replaying survival mode to get them. I don't have any unlocked, but that's what a friend with the pre-order content had told me. Totally agree about this being kind of a bummer along with the fact they should've let Ultra have another year. It's a great game but the fact so much was withheld is probably the #1 gripe most people have.

10 (02) STREET FIGHTER V (CAPCOM) < 5,300 (-78%)

A big drop this week in the UK charts for SFV with a -78% and approx 5,300 units sold.

-78% is well above the expected average drop off for the second week sales, Guess we will have to see if people start buying the games once the content is patched in as its looks poor at the moment.

10 (02) STREET FIGHTER V (CAPCOM) < 5,300 (-78%)

A big drop this week in the UK charts for SFV with a -78% and approx 5,300 units sold.

-78% is well above the expected average drop off for the second week sales, Guess we will have to see if people start buying the games once the content is patched in as its looks poor at the moment.

Is that only the physical and only the UK sales, again? What is the source?

UK = .001628% of the earth.

Physical = ???% of sales since digital haven't been mentioned.

Context is super-important here. These numbers are meaningless without the rest of the picture.

• Like 1

This game should be register less sales than E.T. from Atari. 

A little trivia: ET actually sold a lot of games early on. However, back in the day, people could return games if they didn't like them. My mom returned ET, e.g. (along with other duds like Swordquest).

Context is super-important here. These numbers are meaningless without the rest of the picture.

They're not meaningless. They might not tell the whole story, but saying they have no meaning is the grossest of hyperbole.

FAR CRY CROWNED KING

29/Feb/2016

Ubisoft take their first No1 crown of the year as ‘Far Cry Primal’ breaks Activision Blizzard’s hold on top spot.

It’s a new look and a new launch window for the Far Cry series with Primal being the first to launch outside of Q4 since the original PC version in 2004. There’s also a second Top 3 debutant this week in the form of EA’s ‘Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2’ at No2. Sales for the series are up 31%, although the first in the series (2014) was a timed exclusive for both Xbox One and Xbox 360 at launch. ‘Fifa 16’ (-38%) remains at No3 for a third week, which means ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops III’ (-51%) slips down to No4.

Familiar faces jostle for position in the Top 10 with last week’s debutant ‘Street Fighter V’ (-78%) the most notable mover down from No2 to No10. Outside the Top 10 3DS exclusive ‘Bravely Second: End Layer’ makes its mark at No12.

In general digital sales are usually roughly 20% on top of the physical.

Along with UK the sales the sales in Japan were poor first week also and we will hopefully get the February sales from NPD on the 10th March ( I think that's the date its due) which will cover the first 2 weeks for US and then we can see a bigger sample.

Edited by Obscure_Ale

Street Fighter V (-78%) the most notable mover down from No2 to No10.

This was expected to happen, a shame though. I hope all three (Nintendo, MS and Sony) learn from this , all three have had failed big 3rd party exclusives in the last 12 months. I'm disappointed that Sony got it wrong the second time round with SF after the USF4 port. 

If you want pure digital sales, you'll have to wait for Capcom to announce them. PC digital sale numbers for SF5 on Steamspy is around 120k. 

Source:http://steamspy.com/app/310950

Edited by FlareXV

They're not meaningless. They might not tell the whole story, but saying they have no meaning is the grossest of hyperbole.

You are correct in that it is hyperbole. They aren't meaningless. These numbers just cant confer anything amount the overall PS4 sales of SFV, which is the only point in bringing them up.

• Like 1

They are meaningless for the topic that people keep trying bring up with them. SF4's physical sales and SF5's physical sales are not comparably because SF4 was only had Physical sales. To compare a game that only had physical sales to game that has both physical and digital sales makes no sense.

In general digital sales are usually roughly 20% on top of the physical.

Where do people keep getting this 20% thing from? What research are people getting it from and how old is the research? If it's older then 2 years than I wouldn't call it an accurate measure of digital sales.

They are meaningless for the topic that people keep trying bring up with them. SF4's physical sales and SF5's physical sales are not comparably because SF4 was only had Physical sales. To compare a game that only had physical sales to game that has both physical and digital sales makes no sense.

Where do people keep getting this 20% thing from? What research are people getting it from and how old is the research? If it's older then 2 years than I wouldn't call it an accurate measure of digital sales.

I've seen a few articles about the 20% digital thing, I remember one which gave a comparison of EU/US/JP estimated digital % and I remember Japan was way lower than the other 2 and in single digits, There was also a statement from EA I believe saying digital sales are 20% of the market, Obviously these are just estimates as we will never get official % of digital sales.

I don't really see the digital sales been a high % in the UK as it's £49.99 price tag vs a £37 - £39.99 for the physical copy, US will be higher as its $60 either way.

Edited by Obscure_Ale

Digital sales are looking poor for Street Fighter V also and from official EU and US PSN charts, Street Fighter V didn't even make the top 20 chart in the EU and in US it was #5

Source is from Official PlayStation blogs but linking PlayStation Lifestyle's article as its formatted and easier to read: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/03/04/february-2016-playstation-store-charts-firewatch-1-ps4-north-america-europe/

Street Fighter 5 sold less than it predecessor, SF4 brought in 849k in sales. Neogaf and NPD have the game ranked in 7th position. Apparently, Naruto S4 sold more than SF5.

How does this compare to other games?

GTA5 was in 3rd with less than 351k copies. 

The PS4 version of Naruto alone topped SF5 (Both on PSN and in Retail) 

Fire Emblem would have beaten SF5 if NPD had combined all SKUs together. 

Here's the NPD Chart (Thank you, Neogaf):

Software:
  1. Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One) - Beating Far Cry 4 on a launch aligned basis
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC) - This is less than 351K copies
  4. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS4, Xbox One) - The PS4 version of this game alone outsold Street Fighter V
  5. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, 360, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
  7. Street Fighter V (PS4) - Street Fighter IV opened to 849K, which this is vastly below
  8. Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  9. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
  10. Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196083

It's clear that the game will survive, but not at the level Capcom wanted it.

Edited by FlareXV

Street Fighter 5 sold less than it predecessor, SF4 brought in 849k in sales. Neogaf and NPD have the game ranked in 7th position. Apparently, Naruto S4 sold more than SF5.

How does this compare to other games?

GTA5 was in 3rd with less than 351k copies. 

The PS4 version of Naruto alone topped SF5 (Both on PSN and in Retail) 

Fire Emblem would have beaten SF5 if NPD had combined all SKUs together. 

Here's the NPD Chart (Thank you, Neogaf):

source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196083

It's clear that the game will survive, but not at the level Capcom wanted it.

Do these numbers take into account digital sales? 

Also right above the chart you are quoting it says "February retail game sales are down 12% year over year" and "Retail game sales were down 10% year over year." How many years has that been going on? If retail game sales have been going down by 10%-12% every year since SF4 was released then of course SF5 won't match SF4 retail sales. The market has changed to much for such a thing to happen.

Edited by soultaker655

Do these numbers take into account digital sales? 

Also right above the chart you are quoting it says "February retail game sales are down 12% year over year" and "Retail game sales were down 10% year over year." How many years has that been going on? If retail game sales have been going down by 10%-12% every year since SF4 was released then of course SF5 won't match SF4 retail sales. The market has changed to much for such a thing to happen.

I agree that trends should be an important factor when it comes to sales, but you have to face facts that SF5 wasn't going to get boom blast numbers. Also if we go by using the "it was a different time back then", how come MKX and SB4 beat their predecessors then? 

Edited by FlareXV