Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (Everywhere, Physical)

FlareXV

Street Fighter V sold fewer physical copies in the UK during its opening week than Street Fighter IV, GFK Chart-Track has revealed.

The fighting game launched exclusively on PS4 and PC last Tuesday, but failed to outdo the series' week one sales record set by its predecessor, which launched simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PS3 back in February 2009.

The figure does not account for the number of copies sold digitally, however, which is likely considerably higher than the number of copies downloaded seven years ago. Sales of the PC version were likely primarily digital, too.

Capcom has yet to announce sales figures for the new game.

Sales weren't high enough to knock Black Ops 3 off the top of this week's UK All Formats Top 40 chart, however, despite sales of Activision's shooter falling by 25% week-on-week.

Source: GFK Chart-Track

Source:

Estimations from Neogaf's very own Bruno MB (Thank you, Neogaf sales squad)

Originally Posted by Bruno MB

Code:
[Week 08, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 88,000 / NEW

[Week 08, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 47,000 / NEW

[Week 08, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 41,000 / NEW

[Week 07, 2016] STREET FIGHTER V (CAPCOM) < 24,300 / NEW

Edited by FlareXV

Being console exclusive probably didn't help.

The gulf between the critical and user reviews of this game has been astounding though. Lots of very pee'd off users according to what I've read.

Probably they are waiting until the game is complete.

Or they don't have as much interest as they did in 2009.

Please keep in mind this is the PS4 retail, I'm sure (I think it should) be on top on the digital charts. 

Please keep in mind this is the PS4 retail, I'm sure (I think it should) be on top on the digital charts. 

Highly doubt it has sold more than MKX sold digital when it released. People are getting more conscious about purchasing their content, it seems.

I doubt these sales are lost either, they are just going to be more spread out across the weeks/months while the remaining content keeps to be released, that's all.

Oh yeah.

They really should start releasing sales #'s for digital. I don't understand why they don't when they're happy to for retail. Maybe PSN and the rest don't want their customers knowing how much they're making off us?

• Like 1

I think it's because more and more people are shifting towards digital these days.  When Street Fighter IV came out, digital wasn't a huge thing, majority would have still went with retail.

I think there's also the fact that the game has broken online at the moment and there might be some like me who are waiting for their favorite characters to release before purchasing.

I think it's because more and more people are shifting towards digital these days.  

I don't think it's more people shifting to digital as much as it is an influx of new console owners starting with digital. There's already started to be a whole generation of gamers who won't know what it's like to borrow a game from a friend.

That makes me sad. 

What kind of article says physically, the new game has sold less than the old title sold physically and digitally? What?!

It's like saying: I have spent less money on scotch in 2016 than all of 2015. I'm not counting all the times I've used my debit card in 2016, only the times I've paid cash and that is versus all the money I've spent on scotch in 2015.

• Like 1

I don't think it's more people shifting to digital as much as it is an influx of new console owners starting with digital. There's already started to be a whole generation of gamers who won't know what it's like to borrow a game from a friend.

That makes me sad.

Yea, I would agree.  We're actually lucky they haven't decided to go full on digital (as they probably could if they really wanted to..), people that want the retail copies still have that option.

Yea, I would agree.  We're actually lucky they haven't decided to go full on digital (as they probably could if they really wanted to..), people that want the retail copies still have that option.

I've said it before and I know some people involved that have backed me up, the second a console maker announces their console goes all-digital, brick and mortars will stop carrying the consoles. Stores make next to nothing on the console, margin is on the games and accessories and the sell through on accessories is nothing compared to the games. Good luck with the console when the only way to get it is online.

I think once all the sales are calculated for SFV, it will have beaten IV. It won't be by a wide margin, which means quick price cuts and rushed DLC content. 

That makes me sad. 

What kind of article says physically, the new game has sold less than the old title sold physically and digitally? What?!

It's like saying: I have spent less money on scotch in 2016 than all of 2015. I'm not counting all the times I've used my debit card in 2016, only the times I've paid cash and that is versus all the money I've spent on scotch in 2015.

Agreed with this.

More than shift, it's PC gamers getting their first console.

They are adapted to digital distribution from Steam so it's nothing new.

The industry will go pretty much full digital one day, if it hasn't already. There's nothing that makes games immune from the same market forces that are already pushing film and music consumption in that direction. 

The thing that scares me most about this prospect is the lack of competition. 

Say what you like about the "base price" of digital games vrs retail now, at least they go on sale regularly while they know that they have to compete. Once the retail stores are fewer in number, what will be there to stop PSN keeping the prices high all year round?

Ideally, we would see the various digital stores introduce some sort of transferable licence option, so that I could sell a licence back to them for store credit or, better yet, sell my licence directly to another user (with Sony or whoever taking a cut, I'm sure). 

That, or open up the consoles to other digital storefronts so that the users can benefit from competition between the stores. I can't see this happening though. Why they hell would they voluntarily allow competitors onto their systems. (PC users obviously have choice, this point is console only.)

This would necessitate the consoles being always online though (unpopular, as proved by the reaction to XBOne's "always online" announcement) so that it could check which licences are currently active on your system and account. 

But it could also be a good thing for publishers. Imagine if Ubisoft was about to release AC:9, and it wants to drive sales of its new release. It could offer preferential trade-ins of its own game licences or give you money off another Ubisoft game, thus incentivising users to buy a new Ubisoft game with their store credit. Practices like this could really help them reach a wider audience around the launch date, increasing sales and word of mouth, etc.

Source GAF:

Originally Posted by RED_RING

First Week comparation

Mortal Kombat X (PS4) > 39,500
Mortal Kombat X (XBO) > 24,600

Street Fighter V < 24,300

Less than Mortal Kombat X on Xbox One and quite far behind the PS4 version. Even if you take the estimated 20% digital market and add it on to the 24.3k it would still be way less than other Street Fighter games and Mortal Kombat X on PS4.

Even when all the content arrives to the game it will be hard to convince casuals or core gamers to buy this when all product ratings on the websites have such negative reviews. It really should of been delayed until the summer.

I've said it before and I know some people involved that have backed me up, the second a console maker announces their console goes all-digital, brick and mortars will stop carrying the consoles. Stores make next to nothing on the console, margin is on the games and accessories and the sell through on accessories is nothing compared to the games. Good luck with the console when the only way to get it is online.

This made no sense. I mean, who'd get an all-digital console if they can't order a console online? =P

The industry will go pretty much full digital one day, if it hasn't already. There's nothing that makes games immune from the same market forces that are already pushing film and music consumption in that direction. 

Japan won't. Japan likes their presents more than actual game :awesome:

Well in fact... I would start playing imports only... not a bad future, actually :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

This made no sense. I mean, who'd get an all-digital console if they can't order a console online? =P

That remains to be seen. Don't underestimate the amount of hardware that stores move. How many other products do we have to compare it to that have online only content and are available exclusively online?

The thing that scares me most about this prospect is the lack of competition. 

Say what you like about the "base price" of digital games vrs retail now, at least they go on sale regularly while they know that they have to compete. Once the retail stores are fewer in number, what will be there to stop PSN keeping the prices high all year round?

Ideally, we would see the various digital stores introduce some sort of transferable licence option, so that I could sell a licence back to them for store credit or, better yet, sell my licence directly to another user (with Sony or whoever taking a cut, I'm sure). 

That, or open up the consoles to other digital storefronts so that the users can benefit from competition between the stores. I can't see this happening though. Why they hell would they voluntarily allow competitors onto their systems. (PC users obviously have choice, this point is console only.)

This would necessitate the consoles being always online though (unpopular, as proved by the reaction to XBOne's "always online" announcement) so that it could check which licences are currently active on your system and account. 

But it could also be a good thing for publishers. Imagine if Ubisoft was about to release AC:9, and it wants to drive sales of its new release. It could offer preferential trade-ins of its own game licences or give you money off another Ubisoft game, thus incentivising users to buy a new Ubisoft game with their store credit. Practices like this could really help them reach a wider audience around the launch date, increasing sales and word of mouth, etc.

I've made the call for digital first rights in the past that would allow the transfer of licences between players. If that happens, I'd be more okay with a digital transition, although my shelves of video games would glare at me -_- constantly, wondering when they would be getting new friends. 

If video gaming went all-digital, that's the day I get to start spending the rest of my life on my backlog and replaying old goodies.