Metal Gear Solid fan remake cancelled

FlareXV

Shadow Moses Project, the Metal Gear Solid fan remake being developed in Unreal Engine 4, has been unceremoniously shut down.

"We have to cancel the Shadow Moses Project for reasons beyond our control," the developer said on the project's Facebook page. "We would like to thank everyone for the tremendous support we have received."

Ostensibly Shadow Moses was shut down by Metal Gear Solid publisher Konami, as developer Airam Hernandez knew they'd have to get the company's permission sooner or later. It looks like it took about a month and a half, as the project was announced in mid January.

While it's a shame that it the remake has been cancelled, I was expecting it to happen anyway. Here's the trailer for the remake for those who haven't seen it:

source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-04-metal-gear-solid-fan-remake-cancelled

I mean you kinda knew this was going to happen before Konami shoved a cease and desist order up their butts. 

Usually these fan projects barely get off the ground, especially Nintendo related games. I'm more surprised this got as far as it did.

Edited by Death_Ninja

especially Nintendo related games.

Satoru Iwata once said the fans can do whatever they want with their IPs as long as they don't ask a single penny for them.

Well, except that Mario 64 Remake on Unity, but still... Another Metroid 2 Remake is still alive as of now. A Tribute To Donkey Kong Country didn't receive any C&D letter, too.

Edited by Lance_87

Satoru Iwata once said the fans can do whatever they want with their IPs as long as they don't ask a single penny for them.

Well, except that Mario 64 Remake on Unity, but still... Another Metroid 2 Remake is still alive as of now. A Tribute To Donkey Kong Country didn't receive any C&D letter, too.

That's a load of bs. Just their youtube policies alone is enough to disprove this. Did you know that Super Mario Maker was originally a fan project, where they made Super Mario Bros available for your web browser and where you could make your own levels n stuff? Yeah, Nintendo hit hard down on that, claimed the idea many years later. Oh, and then there's the speedrunners, especially bad if they are tool assisted.... 

• Like 1

That's a load of bs. Just their youtube policies alone is enough to disprove this. Did you know that Super Mario Maker was originally a fan project, where they made Super Mario Bros available for your web browser and where you could make your own levels n stuff? Yeah, Nintendo hit hard down on that, claimed the idea many years later. Oh, and then there's the speedrunners, especially bad if they are tool assisted.... 

Well, it was 2014, things have changed, Iwata has died, too. Also source? All i could find are news from December 2015 about people trying to make a PC fan port of Super Mario Maker...

Well, it was 2014, things have changed, Iwata has died, too. Also source? All i could find are news from December 2015 about people trying to make a PC fan port of Super Mario Maker...

Oh, what I'm talking about is several years ago.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/nintendo_wants_to_close_down_this_open_source_web_version_of_super_mario_bros

http://www.fullscreenmario.com/

It not only had a level editor, but even had a random map generator! :o

You don't think they shut down the project and took the idea?

Edited by MMDE

Oh, i see. I also remember "Screentendo" but it was a "proof of concept" that was released only on Mac, IIRC. That's still around, though.

EDIT: the last line of that FullScreenMario page states that the game can still be downloaded and played. And it is true, lol :P

Edited by Lance_87

I know this might be a hateful comment and all, and I'm not expecting anyone to necessarily agree, but Konami owns the property, so it makes sense that they shut this one down. It's an infringement on their copyright, regardless of the good intention. It's marketing and gaining media attention using someone else's IP, which shouldn't, and isn't, allowed. 

I hate Konami and their practices as much as the next guy, but I don't blame them for protecting their own IPs. Any fan made project is going to encounter the exact same issues. Konami could've simply recruited them and made it their own, yes, but they don't have infinite funding and they most likely have a very strict business schedule. 

One of the few I know that are more open to this is Valve, but they have tons of funding, less strict environment, and they give permission right from the start/encourage it. It's an exception to the rule.

This.

I'm also noticing it hasn't actually been said what the reason they stopped work on it is. It very well could be because Konami came down on them like they did the Metal Gear remake before this - but it could also be that the game was just too much of an undertaking for the team [which is pretty much just one guy.] as a passion project, and maybe decided they wanted to work on something they could actually profit from.

After all, even if Konami allowed them to continue with the remake - they wouldn't have been able to sell it at all. That's a lot of time and resources to dump into something that won't really give anything back to you, y'know?

Or they decided to scrap it before something could actually go wrong in the first place.

Like most, I dislike Konami and the things they've done recently - but I dislike seeing people jump to conclusions and start throwing blame around without any actual proof of their accusations even more than that. The word "ostensibly" literally means "apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually." - meaning it *may* have been Konami, but there's also a decent chance it wasn't.

Is it highly likely? Of course it is. They already shut down, as I mentioned, the fan remake of Metal Gear before this - which they had also planned to actually publish themselves, and then scrapped it altogether.

But until someone actually comes out and says "Yeah, they shut us down with a cease & desist", it's best not to blow this out of proportion.

Not only that, but IP protection is a difficult thing to deal with - because guess what? You let things slide, don't do anything to stop things that infringe on your trademarks, and you eventually lose the ability to defend it later. They literally HAVE to issue cease & desists. Otherwise, they could no longer own their properties.

Those infringements you let slip by, with no action, come back to bite you when you actually want to try and protect it. The courts see that you didn't do anything to protect the IP those 5 or 10 times before - why should they allow you to protect it now?

Edited by Fox
  • Like 2

This.

I'm also noticing it hasn't actually been said what the reason they stopped work on it is. It very well could be because Konami came down on them like they did the Metal Gear remake before this - but it could also be that the game was just too much of an undertaking for the team [which is pretty much just one guy.] as a passion project, and maybe decided they wanted to work on something they could actually profit from.

After all, even if Konami allowed them to continue with the remake - they wouldn't have been able to sell it at all. That's a lot of time and resources to dump into something that won't really give anything back to you, y'know?

Or they decided to scrap it before something could actually go wrong in the first place.

Like most, I dislike Konami and the things they've done recently - but I dislike seeing people jump to conclusions and start throwing blame around without any actual proof of their accusations even more than that. The word "ostensibly" literally means "apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually." - meaning it *may* have been Konami, but there's also a decent chance it wasn't.

Is it highly likely? Of course it is. They already shut down, as I mentioned, the fan remake of Metal Gear before this - which they had also planned to actually publish themselves, and then scrapped it altogether.

But until someone actually comes out and says "Yeah, they shut us down with a cease & desist", it's best not to blow this out of proportion.

Not only that, but IP protection is a difficult thing to deal with - because guess what? You let things slide, don't do anything to stop things that infringe on your trademarks, and you eventually lose the ability to defend it later. They literally HAVE to issue cease & desists. Otherwise, they could no longer own their properties.

Those infringements you let slip by, with no action, come back to bite you when you actually want to try and protect it. The courts see that you didn't do anything to protect the IP those 5 or 10 times before - why should they allow you to protect it now?

This x1000. Konami are dicks, but it's not because of this.