Rumor: PS4 to support 4k resolution

Lady Lilith

http://www.webpronews.com/playstation-4-rumored-to-support-4k-resolutions-2012-08

PlaystationLogo2_320x245.jpg

Boy Genius Report (BGR) is reporting that Sony’s next video game console will come with support for 4K resolution. BGR cites an unnamed source as saying the as-yet unannounced PlayStation 4 console will be on the front line of hardware manufacturers pushing 4K technology.

4K resolution refers to a resolution standard that uses a horizontal resolution of 4,000 pixels.

BGR also reported earlier this week, citing unnamed sources “close to Sony’s manufacturing partners,” that Sony has plans to release an 80-inch LED 4K TV set. This monster TV could be released as soon as this holiday season, and the cost of such a device would be around $30,000.

The PlayStation 2′s support for DVD playback meant that console became the first DVD player that many gamers had. As a result, the PlayStation 2 helped push the DVD format to the forefront of video media. Similarly, the PlayStation 3′s Blu-Ray capabilities have propelled the Blu-Ray format, though not with as much success as the PlayStation 2 did for DVD’s. Placing their bets on a new format and supporting it with their new console seems to have become a pattern for Sony, and so rumors of 4K support in the PlayStation 4 make perfect sense.

Details on Sony’s next console, though, have been sparse. Rumors back in March declared the console’s codename to be “Orbis,” and that the system would use an AMD processor. This is in contrast to Microsoft’s new console, which has seen many leaks in the past few months, including news of an updated Kinect device.

$30,000 TV? Daaamn.

That'd be an utter waste of processing power. I will recite my usual anecdote:

For my Physics A-Level coursework (which you do when you're 18 in the UK - it's not child stuff) I tested the resolution of the human eye. I had a sample size of about 5 people, did about 20 repeats for 3 different "pixels" with very high contrast (black dot on bleached white paper). What I concluded from this was that the human eye's resolution was, to paraphrase myself so I don't need to go and find the report, basically just enough to resolve pixels at 1080P on a 40 inch TV from 6 feet away.

So, unless your eyesight is unusually good, your TV is huge (which most people's aren't) or you sit unhealthily close, 4K resolution would be an utter waste of time. The power of the PS4, according to developers who've spoken on the issue, would be better going towards general purpose stuff rather than pixel pushing.

• Like 2

I agree with Pie. It is a similar idea to tv's now having refresh rates of 600Hz. After a certain point, it really makes no visible difference to you, as your eyes cannot pick up details that quickly. Resolution does not need to get better to produce better graphics. This 4k resolution seems like a terrible idea and such a waste.

Yeah, the average human eye can only appreciate 1080, but it's not that general.

Think of this in terms of bandwidth. The PS(4) would natively support multiple monitors, full screen local co-op, 3-d everything, blah blah blah ect.

This opens paths to new forms of game interaction.

• Like 1

30k for a tv? sony have officially lost it, but this is only a rumour so i have a feeling this article is fake.

This would not be the first crazy price for a television. TV's got very very expensive when they first went Big Screen, or first went Flat panel, or first went 1080p. It's not really a surprise that the first of a model is going to be crazy expensive. I mean just think back to how expensive personal computers were when they first came out, or televisions. They were ridiculous.

Yeah, the average human eye can only appreciate 1080, but it's not that general.

Think of this in terms of bandwidth. The PS(4) would natively support multiple monitors, full screen local co-op, 3-d everything, blah blah blah ect.

This opens paths to new forms of game interaction.

I hadn't thought of it like this, but you raise a really good point.

No way it'll happen. If latest nVidia hardware runs monitors in 1600p thats 4Million Pixels under 60fps most of the time. Having PS4 (An un-upgradable system) run 4000P thats 12Million pixels...... won't happen unless of course Sony are too smart and prove me wrong and actually do it! They can future proof or something.