PS2 Classics: Let's Grind in Rogue Galaxy!

oursong.jpg

Yes, I know, it's one of THOSE threads, but this is a little different. As you probably know, Sony made the decision to import PS2 games that were popular during the day into their PSN store, and you can download them onto your PS4 and play them unedited. (Yes, totally unedited as in the only thing that was changed was adding in a trophy list for the games.)

This was one of the first games that was imported, the third RPG that was done exclusively by Level-5. You may know them for the Dark Cloud series(which is also on the PSN store), working on the graphics of Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King(which is going to be imported to the Nintendo 3DS this summer) and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. How about you check out these Youtube series?

• Dark Cloud Let's Play / Platinum Guide by GE-MA Transmission Station (on hiatus right now)
  • Dark Cloud 2 Let's Play by KasaiAisu (The Zelmite Mines episode is really funny but has some salty tongues in it)
  • Rogue Galaxy Let's Play by Bobbin Threadbare (with KalonZombie as support - Bobbin gives some voice actor background of main characters - I didn't realize that one of the characters was voiced by the voice actress of Colette in Tales of Symphonia!)

The LP Archives Let's Plays (last two links above) have versions which have commentary over the cutscenes and versions with no commentary over the cutscenes if you are interested in the story.

19.jpg

And who doesn't want more of MIO MIO MIO! :wub: (This is from solstice11, not me)

The Major Goal: To get the Platinum for Rogue Galaxy and 100% in all of MIO's Completion records!

MIO's Top 4 Rules of Fandom:

1. Do not aggravate MIO. She can have you thrown into Rosencraster Prison in two shakes of a lamb's tail if you upset her. B)
  2. If you ever find the opportunity to help any other space pirates on this thread, please do so. The sooner we complete MIO's records, the sooner we'll get her rewards. ;)
  3. However, DO mind your P's and Q's - all story spoilers should be STRICTLY locked behind spoiler tags at all times. Anyone starting their journey into the space adventure business should experience their own adventures, and if people want to enjoy the story, then spoilers might ruin it!
  4. Most importantly, just relax and have fun. Even if you end up having to fight in the Space Factory for ten hours of real time to get those last robots on your Hunter's Record, at least you'll be getting lots of experience for you and your weapons as well as lots of cash to keep stocked on those vital Recharge Drinks! Go at your own pace and just enjoy the game.

So You Want to be a member of MIO's fanclub?

Simply add in your post below saying you want to join and I'll see if MIO will assign you a number and a membership card. IOW, I'll add you to the list of participants to this thread. MIO is generous - anyone can join, even if you have never heard of this game. All you have to do is play the game - save your zehn and purchase it for download on your PS4. If you want to play it on PS2, that's fine too, but you won't get any trophies.

It doesn't matter how many trophies you have(as of now I have only 18% of the trophies and haven't explored Vedan yet 84% of the trophies, just need to do the Ghost Ship and Insectron contests), you are free to join this thread. Please let me know if you are 100% confident that you want to join this event.

Hall of the Star Kings (Hall of Fame for those who have the Platinum

List of Participants:

Those Who Want To Travel in Space (will be moved to the list of participants when they agree to join)

Guides:

Rogue Galaxy Trophy Guide by PREDRAG-K and omar280792

A whole lot of guides for the PS2 version on GameFAQs (since this is totally unedited from the original version, these guides will cover the PS4 version)

Weapon Guide on GameFAQs by MaloFreak (I use this all the time)

Main Story Checkpoints (I made all the titles up)

7S3a996b.png(1) Salamander Slayer: Complete Chapter 1

8Sdabc7c.png (2) Juraikan Explorer: Complete Chapters 2 and 3

11Saebc91.png(3) Zerard Tourist: Complete Chapters 4 and 5

12S483ee5.png(4) Vedan Visitor: Complete Chapter 6

25Sf0d176.png(5) Seeker of the Keys: Complete Chapters 7 and 8

27S38aaf0.png(6) Awakening of the Star King: Complete Chapters 9 and 10

35S845ffa.png(7) Destroyer of Rune: Complete the game and earn the Once and For All trophy

1Sf0c83b.pngLegacy of the Star King: Earn the Platinum trophy

Special Badges (these are totally optional)

34S0d391d.pngMaster Hunter: Complete 100% of the Battle Record and earn the Best of the Galaxy and Bounty Hunter trophies.

30S483f1f.pngLegendary Insectron Champion: Win the SS Rank of the Insectron Tournament!

2Sf1c368.pngBest-Dressed Space Pirates: Earn the Stellar Style trophy and collect all four alternate outfits for everyone.

4S8f898e.pngRare Collector: Collected all nine Rare Items in the game, earning the Trash Digger and Mirror, Mirror trophies as well.

Best of luck to you all! Feel free to start at any time or continue from where you left off long ago. As I said before, if you have the original and just want to 100% that game alongside us, that's perfectly fine. You are free to exchange any non-spoiler information or give help. Every space pirate can do with an advisor or two. ;)

EDIT: I am eager to hear your weapon synthesis experiments. I want to try to find out if you can get weapons that are only available from vendors in late-game chapters early. For example, the Total Geniujs spear is only available to buy from a vendor in Chapter 13, but is it possible to fuse one? I know there are different combinations for getting a weapon - I've gotten the Sprydes+ from Wild Boots and Prime Sneakers while the official GameFAQs guides only lists the combo of Prime Sneakers and Lovely Taps. If we can help the guides out by finding fusion combos for other weapons, I'll create a guide for it.

EDIT 2: Since I learned that you can livestream from your PS4, I was wondering if anyone was interested in me livestreaming videos of their Insectron Teams fighting once I unlock the Insectron Battle option in the game. If you are, I'll start accepting passwords once I create my own Insectron team - right now, I'm saving the Insectron part of the game for Ghost Ship Extreme so I can catch a Dark Emperor. ;)

EDIT 3: Updated my status - I feel really embarrassed to have left the 18% on this post when I had over 80% of the trophies and completed the main story of the game. Oops! :facepalm:

Edited by DetectiveCJ
  • Like 3

Why has nobody signed up :(? This is such a fantastic game, I wish more people realized that (especially the ones who only talk about Dark Cloud :P ).

I don't think I can sign up considering I've got the platinum and fulfilled all your special badge requirements already (I'd also like to point out that some characters have more than four alternate costumes).

Why has nobody signed up :(? This is such a fantastic game, I wish more people realized that (especially the ones who only talk about Dark Cloud :P ).

I don't think I can sign up considering I've got the platinum and fulfilled all your special badge requirements already (I'd also like to point out that some characters have more than four alternate costumes).

That's all right, you can advise anyone who wants help. MIO is always willing to accept assistance with space travelers who keep coming into her office and bugging her. :awesome:

Add me to the "Those Who Want To Travel in Space" list.

This game is in my super long backlog, but I do plan on playing it this year.

Okay, I'm adding you now. Good luck! :wave:

Add me to the 'Those Who Want to Travel In Space" list as well. I'm in the same boat as soultaker655: Quite a few games on the backlog, but I've been interested in playing this game for a while. I never played it on PS2, and it looks sweet. 

I played it way back on my PS2 and bought it again on my PS4 but didn't start it.

Sign me up for those who want to travel in space as I don't know when I will start this great game.

Added and added, welcome to the thread.

I should be asleep right now for tomorrow, it's Sunday. :P But it was worth it - I have completed about 50% of the Revelation Flow with everyone and cleared the first part of Chapter 8, cleared up to the boss in the second part(saving that for last as the boss fight is deadly and I'll need to buy more Confusion Guards) and just entered the third part and got the Mirror Mirror trophy. (Tried to get Trash Digger too but hard to find the Rare Item there.)

My average party level is 50, and 90% of the team is capable of wielding their strongest weapons. Also just got Great Caesar as my third Seven-Star Sword and built up Desert Seeker (got it to Earthshaker before Chapter 7) and Ixion(built that) to their final forms. So now my trophy completion is 27%.

• Like 1

DetectiveCJ.png

Wanted everyone to know that I've finally topped the Hunter Rankings! Whoo! Also, got to (spoiler place) so I can buy as many Admon Rousers as possible to fully upgrade the fifth Seven Star Sword I just got, the Pride of Kings. Once I've done that(by working on getting 100% of the monster lists in the Chapter 8 dungeons and the Labyrinth) I'll get the last two swords. I have a Demon Rouser ready to fuse to make Duke Nightmare and will look for Pegasus Lord soon.

I haven't touched Alistia yet, which is a shame. They should have at least put in a trophy for defeating the crab boss there, this planet might be optional on the English version(the very original version didn't have it) but it was a great planet with a great story. It's my favorite planet in the game.

If anyone reading this is playing the game, feel free to put in your experiences. (But remember to put any story spoilers in spoiler tags.)

• Like 1

As soon as I get paid next, I'll be getting a $20 PSN card and getting this game. I've been looking up more info about the game and I'm really excited to play it! 

A question... How does the weapon progression work? Is it similar to Dark Cloud's weapon system?

Not exactly. I won't spoil how it works exactly(or what it involves) but you give two weapons to someone and they are fused to create a different weapon. For example, to get the first sword you get in the game, the Desert Seeker, to the next level, you have to fuse it with a weapon of Level 13 or higher. Yes, weapons have levels and you can't equip a weapon that is higher level than you. I'll put up a link to a weapon synthesis guide later for those who need help.

For all you Europeans: Now is a good time to buy this great game.

It's on sale in EU for 7,99€

I will probably start this game after finishing AC Syndicate

That's a great deal! I hope we get some European people in this thread.

When you get started playing, let me know so I can move you to the participants list.

This is my recent update, I had to put it up right away:

35L41ec29.png

Yep, I finally completed the game and beat that final boss that made me rage quit the game so long ago. Once I knew the pattern, I did it.

So now my completion rate is at 84%. Don't worry, I don't plan to abandon the thread once I get the platinum, which should be soon. Just have the Ghost Ships and Insectron which will be a grind. And getting someone to Level 99 - I beat the game with Jaster being the highest of my character, at Level 70.

Once I get the plat, I'll help anyone who needs help. Right now I'm taking a hiatus and tomorrow I'll be busy with other games, but I'll come back to clean up after a while. ;)

• Like 1

I just bought the game and finished downloading it today. Played for a couple of hours. I'm enjoying it! 

Still need to get off the first planet, though.

Managed to get the Nimble Fingers trophy completely by accident.

I can definitely tell this is a Level 5 game.  :lol:

Well, that's pretty great if you can get Nimble Fingers trophy without a guide. I had to use one because I didn't remember which chests had a trap. ^_^

I moved you to the participants list, if you don't mind.

As for myself, I am taking a bit of a hiatus to prep for the post-game content, mainly Ghost Ship Extreme. I will probably do it twice to get the last Simon outfit and a second Royal Fruit so I can be assured to win S-Rank in the Insectron Tournament. ;)

Well, that's pretty great if you can get Nimble Fingers trophy without a guide. I had to use one because I didn't remember which chests had a trap. ^_^

I moved you to the participants list, if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all! The chest was one right before the first boss, and I was pressing X, not expecting it to be a trap chest. So that's why it was more of an accident.

I just got Toady and finished Chapter 2 last night. I'll probably make some progress today before work (unless I play some P4G  ;)). 

I love seeing this and I hope you all have a wonderful time going through this awesome game! 

I can't really join because I already have the plat (and I wrote a trophy guide for the game which you can find on the first post or the Guides section of PSNP) but I wish you all good luck becoming worthy Kings of the Galaxy! xD

Edited by Omar

I finally managed to start the game and I'm

at the spring on Juraika

right now.

Moved you to the list of participants. Good luck! ^_^ Let me give you some advice - try buying a few swords for Jaster and fusing them. It only takes 15 battles to max out the experience of a weapon and make it fuse-able. :)

Progress Report!

I'm in the middle of chapter 6 right now. 

Just got Deego in my party.

I've been going back to old planets to use the Earth and Star Keys, plus I obtained the Whatever Works trophy.

I just noticed something odd. I don't have the trophy for completing chapter 2. I have all the other trophies for completing chapters, but not that one. I'm going to load up an old save and plow my way through it quickly, but I'm confused. Has anybody else had this or a similar problem?

Edit: I figured out why. I installed a new hard drive (2TB!) in my PS4, and I had just finished Chapter 2 beforehand and must not have uploaded my trophies. No worries, I got it done in less than an hour. Good thing you can skip scenes....  :lol:

Edited by WhiteWalls7

I ended up buying this yesterday, and played chapter 1 to get a feel for how the emulation games play, and I was happy to see that's quite decent!

I will not go back to this right away, since I'm in the SAO:HF event (want to clear that game, specially because it's not as engaging as I was expecting for some reason..) and I'm also planing to give Catherine a shot again.. as well as try to 100% GT6.. After those I will probably go to Rogue Galaxy, I don't want to jump right away into Rogue Galaxy because I know that I will become 100% absorbed by it and there's a chance that I may use Rogue Galaxy platinum for my 8000th trophy milestone (I will probably make a poll, if I can't decide, since I already had FF7 and Disgaea 5 plat setup to maybe become my 8000th milestone..).