Why all the hate, people?

• 3 years later...

I disagree. It's really a great game, and one of my personal favorites in the series. Sure, it's easy, but that doesn't automatically make this game bad. The weapons are great, and the game gives you so many different moves across different weapons to give this game arguably one of the best combat systems in the series. The characters are decent and the story isn't half bad, but the writing is somewhat mediocre. To top it all off, the level design is excellent, with great environments, and a solid combination of platforming and combat segments. Honestly, I think people are biased against this game because they hate Dante's new design and character, which does not determine at all if a game is bad or not.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is, ironically enough, my first DMC game.

I bought the ps2  collection for the ps3  but didn't do much in it, it's when I bought DMC4  bundled with the ps4 DmC because why not, that I started to understand, it wasn't even against a boss, it was just Bloody Palace, with Nero against a Blitz  that fight pumped my adrenaline and made me jump back to plat the other games in the series, it was at this moment that I understood, DMC fans were robbed of this for 10 years, and in exchange they got this inferior combat, story with no campyness, characters  that took themselves  too seriously and fedora abort no scope, fuck you and don't fuck with a God.

The director also bashed the fans, never a good thing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I'm double the age you mention and think it is damn cool. I guess I'm mentally still 14. I loved all the 3 DMC HD remasters and I also loved this one. The only downside I can see is that it is indeed too easy. If you play to get the SSS you will quickly find yourself spamming the same moves over and over, but if you play to have fun, the combat controls are amazing. You've got 3 different simultaneous weapons plus quick change to even add more weapons and you can create nasty combinations to rack up style points. That style system is the trademark of all DMC games and this one got it right.

• Like 1

I think all the hate comes because of something you mentioned, the main characters. People don’t like change. I mean look at the Metal Gear series LOL. 

I think in 2013 we hadn’t seen Dante for a while so getting this sort of tease as well as making that joke about the hair probably didn’t sit right with people. Like Capcom were disregarding old fans or something. 

I even got shit, may have been jokingly said but it was still said all the same, from my own friends for playing this version. 

it’s still the only DMC game I’ve ever played and I aim to go back to it but I got it back then because I thought it looked cool.

I think people also didn’t like the personalities of the new characters either. There’s some questionable things they do in the story that just appear awful. Not mentioning due to spoilers. But like you say, it’s a reboot but even as a newcomer to the series I thought it was a bit much.

Boy was 2013 a different time. 

• 6 months later...

I liked it as I do most of Ninja Theory's stuff. Boss designs were great, graphics (for it's time) and voice acting was on point and highly polished.

I can see where people were pissed in that they changed some aspects of the original story but I can understand that they wanted the heaven weapons and hell weapons aspect and needed a reason for Dante to be able to wield both.

I didn't mind young edgy Dante because let's face it - Dante is a bit douchey anyway in the other games in my opinion. I guess I just didn't care about that too much to let it bother me with my opinion of the game.

Also difficulty wise, I didn't find it easier than DMC or DMC 2, the others are a different story.

Edited by Shady_Wombat