Freaking expensive DLC

charlijaen

What if the expansions were opt-in stuff you could disable/enable? Perhaps free, or heavily reduced price, for those who had already paid for it in previous iterations?

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if profit-wise that EA would go for it (greedy jerks), but it could potentially work. Then paying the difference if you'd want them later. However, with the fans still throwing money at the current system, it will all just be but a dream. 

Its a scam when down the road you normally pay less for a GOTY edition than what you will pay for just the dlcs. Take Borderlands 2. I paid something like 30 dollars for the Handsome Jack Edition. If I paid separately, just the DLCs for one game would have cost as much as the whole package. So yes I would call it a scam.

I wouldn't call it a scam since buying DLC is optional. A fair amount of games have GOTY version, they're normally cheaper overall because games value decrease over time like most products in the world - the GOTY version generally reward people who are able to wait a year or two.

Incorporating your argument, you can still enjoy and play this game without the DLC (the monthly subscription/free version) and then buy the GOTY version when it does come out if you found the game interesting enough.

I wouldn't call it a scam since buying DLC is optional. A fair amount of games have GOTY version, they're normally cheaper overall because games value decrease over time like most products in the world - the GOTY version generally reward people who are able to wait a year or two.

Incorporating your argument, you can still enjoy and play this game without the DLC (the monthly subscription/free version) and then buy the GOTY version when it does come out if you found the game interesting enough.

In a lot of scams buying is optional. That's why I don't buy dlcs because the pricing is ridiculous for what you get and they rarely drop in price. I just refuse to buy a game for 5 bucks and shell out 10 bucks for the dlcs that may add a few extra hours of content.

I haven't played either DLC, so I dont have any knowledge of them beyond what I've read online. From what I've read, Espionage has 8 missions; Waterborne has 6 missions. From a mission standpoint the 2 DLCs have about as many missions as the base game had. From that perspective, $20 for each doesn't seems outrageous (though remember, I have no knowledge of how good the mission content is or anything like that). Having said that, I typically only buy DLC for the games that I'm a fan of the series or just loved the game and sometimes when it is on sale for cheap, cheap, CHEAP. Tropico 5 has been a challenging game to me w/ a steep learning curve, but I haven't loved it. So at $20 there is no way I'd buy the DLC. Now if it were on sale for $5-7.50, then I'd consider it

Edited by GibbGA

In a lot of scams buying is optional. That's why I don't buy dlcs because the pricing is ridiculous for what you get and they rarely drop in price. I just refuse to buy a game for 5 bucks and shell out 10 bucks for the dlcs that may add a few extra hours of content.

I think you're describing something that's overpriced or not worth your money than a scam. A scam is normally something you've been tricked into spending your money on for a product or service that wasn't what you were expecting.

I do agree with the latter half about refusing to buy a game where the DLC cost more than the base game.

I think you're describing something that's overpriced or not worth your money than a scam. A scam is normally something you've been tricked into spending your money on for a product or service that wasn't what you were expecting.

I do agree with the latter half about refusing to buy a game where the DLC cost more than the base game.

Here is a perfect example of a dlc scam. I bought LA Noire awhile back. Haven't got around to playing it but saw that the complete edition was cheap and had the dlcs. On sale its cheaper than the dlc alone. But guess what? I am not allowed to buy it because I own the regular edition. I am welcome to buy the overpriced dlc but not the complete edition. Now if that isn't a scam, I don't know what is.

Just a word of warning. If you are planning on getting a GOTY edition for any game, from BS PLus or just buying it at the PSN Store, do not buy the basic game or download the BS PLus "free" version. Sony will not let you buy a GOTY version if you have the basic version. This is why I am not a Sony/DLC fanboy. So if you "bought" Tropico you are screwed out of buying the GOTY edition. Yeah, its a SCAM.

Here is a perfect example of a dlc scam. I bought LA Noire awhile back. Haven't got around to playing it but saw that the complete edition was cheap and had the dlcs. On sale its cheaper than the dlc alone. But guess what? I am not allowed to buy it because I own the regular edition. I am welcome to buy the overpriced dlc but not the complete edition. Now if that isn't a scam, I don't know what is.

Mmm that sounds more like a limitation on Sonys store than a scam - definitely an unfortunate and annoying scenario but it's not a scam if Sony don't want any more of your money because they haven't fixed this limitation in their system.

If you did end up buying the DLC later and it cost you more, then you knowingly chose to do that without being tricked into it.

Mmm that sounds more like a limitation on Sonys store than a scam - definitely an unfortunate and annoying scenario but it's not a scam if Sony don't want any more of your money because they haven't fixed this limitation in their system.

If you did end up buying the DLC later and it cost you more, then you knowingly chose to do that without being tricked into it.

i

Being forced to pay a higher price because I am not allowed to freely buy a cheaper product. Who would expect a policy like that? So yeah it's a scam and very deceptive. I'm guessing part of this policy is due to BS Plus since many of the releases have DLCs. So if you download the game you are locked out of a GOTY or full edition of one comes out.

i

Being forced to pay a higher price because I am not allowed to freely buy a cheaper product. Who would expect a policy like that? So yeah it's a scam and very deceptive. I'm guessing part of this policy is due to BS Plus since many of the releases have DLCs. So if you download the game you are locked out of a GOTY or full edition of one comes out.

They probably decided that they'd get more complaints of 'I've already got the original, I've bought the same thing again and not realised. Can i get my money back' than your complaint. Unfortunately people are stupid and need protecting from themselves. Your best bet is having a second account you purchase these GOTY editions on.

Personally I'm all for DLC. Even at the top end pricewise I'd get more value off playing it for a day or two than going to the cinema or having a few beers. Having said that they need to be sensible, a 5 year old DLC should be reduced in price to reflect the price the base game is at that time.

They probably decided that they'd get more complaints of 'I've already got the original, I've bought the same thing again and not realised. Can i get my money back' than your complaint. Unfortunately people are stupid and need protecting from themselves. Your best bet is having a second account you purchase these GOTY editions on.

Personally I'm all for DLC. Even at the top end pricewise I'd get more value off playing it for a day or two than going to the cinema or having a few beers. Having said that they need to be sensible, a 5 year old DLC should be reduced in price to reflect the price the base game is at that time.

So I'm stupid cause I should have expected to be blocked from buying a product cause I bought something similar previously? Gotcha

So I'm stupid cause I should have expected to be blocked from buying a product cause I bought something similar previously? Gotcha

Of course not. You misunderstand me. The system as it is now is most likely to protect joe public, who unfortunately like us here at psnprofiles are not savvy when it comes to game purchases. People like you, me and most people here are sensible and fall foul of this system.

For example, Joe Bloggs has a ps4 to play COD and Fifa with his mates. He has PS plus so he can play those online. He generally plays everything we get on plus as they are 'free' and some of them are a laugh. One of those was Tropico 5 which unlike most he liked and played more than once. So much so he thought he'd try another in the series. Oh look there's a new one 'Tropico 5 expansion edition'. He pays £60 for it and its 75% the same game. Complains and wants his money back.

This system exists because of this scenario. It doesn't work though when, because you have LA Noire you cannot buy LA Noire complete edition at £5 just for the DLC.

What i meant in my previous comment is the whole of playstations consumer base there are more people like example 1 than example 2. You are example 2. I don't think you are stupid, far from it

• Like 1

Of course not. You misunderstand me. The system as it is now is most likely to protect joe public, who unfortunately like us here at psnprofiles are not savvy when it comes to game purchases. People like you, me and most people here are sensible and fall foul of this system.

For example, Joe Bloggs has a ps4 to play COD and Fifa with his mates. He has PS plus so he can play those online. He generally plays everything we get on plus as they are 'free' and some of them are a laugh. One of those was Tropico 5 which unlike most he liked and played more than once. So much so he thought he'd try another in the series. Oh look there's a new one 'Tropico 5 expansion edition'. He pays £60 for it and its 75% the same game. Complains and wants his money back.

This system exists because of this scenario. It doesn't work though when, because you have LA Noire you cannot buy LA Noire complete edition at £5 just for the DLC.

What i meant in my previous comment is the whole of playstations consumer base there are more people like example 1 than example 2. You are example 2. I don't think you are stupid, far from it

Not sure is that's why the system exists. I think its more to force ppl to buy the dlcs for the Plus games. But I understand your point and agree most ppl are generally stupid and entitleists. Think when I get around to it I will contact Sony and see why they have this system and if they will remove it.

Not sure is that's why the system exists. I think its more to force ppl to buy the dlcs for the Plus games. But I understand your point and agree most ppl are generally stupid and entitleists. Think when I get around to it I will contact Sony and see why they have this system and if they will remove it.

I think having the ability to toggle it would be nice. I've been guilty of double purchasing on iTunes because I didn't realize I had purchased something on Amazon instead, so I am glad this feature is here. However, if I can get a better deal on a bundle that may have part of what I want, then I'd like the option to still purchase it.

I think having the ability to toggle it would be nice. I've been guilty of double purchasing on iTunes because I didn't realize I had purchased something on Amazon instead, so I am glad this feature is here. However, if I can get a better deal on a bundle that may have part of what I want, then I'd like the option to still purchase it.

That's two different companies. Not much you can do. And this isn't exactly buying the same thing. Its like you buy a song off iTunes and they now carry an extended version of the same song (for a cheaper price no less), you should be able to buy it. And yes if its similar, it should warn you, not block you. I know Amazon will tell you if you bought the same product in the past.

That's two different companies. Not much you can do. And this isn't exactly buying the same thing. Its like you buy a song off iTunes and they now carry an extended version of the same song (for a cheaper price no less), you should be able to buy it. And yes if its similar, it should warn you, not block you. I know Amazon will tell you if you bought the same product in the past.

I knew my mistake almost immediately. I was annoyed at myself, not the companies. Both will let you know if you've previously purchased, and I was in a rush so I didn't even notice. But I digress.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is everybody chasing after and complaining of the costly DLC when they are after the 100% completion. Shouldn't games be meant for having fun, where you willingly pay a price to extend your span of gameplay because you truly enjoyed the game and not because you are chasing after a 100% rating for the game you tried to play.

Why is everybody chasing after and complaining of the costly DLC when they are after the 100% completion. Shouldn't games be meant for having fun, where you willingly pay a price to extend your span of gameplay because you truly enjoyed the game and not because you are chasing after a 100% rating for the game you tried to play.

People do enjoy their games. Price is factor for those just want to enjoy their games. I dont want to pay 20 euros for one set of additional content when I can get full game for that price or even cheaper. Its still price versus content even if you play just for enjoyment. Others get enjoyment from playing, others from trophies.