Sqrt(Letter) coming west in 2016

Satoshi Ookami

Not enough Mathematician/IT in you to not read it as square root :awesome:

I barely remember math as it is now, it's been well over a decade since I was in school. :blink:

Besides, if you don't know what the game is before opening the thread, it's an easy mistake to see xD

Edited by SnowxSakura

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is on sale for 15 quid so I'm asking those who've played it, is it worth that much?

I mainly wanna play it before going to sleep so I'm wondering if it requires you to think a lot or can you just relax while reading? Also just how long is it? VNDB says 2-10 hours bot that can't possibly be accurate. I love vn's and I love mystery but people seem to have pretty mixed opinions about this one and I'd never buy it at full price. Soo yay or nay for £15?

10 minutes ago, Theladozz said:

Well this is on sale for 15 quid so I'm asking those who've played it, is it worth that much?

I mainly wanna play it before going to sleep so I'm wondering if it requires you to think a lot or can you just relax while reading? Also just how long is it? VNDB says 2-10 hours bot that can't possibly be accurate. I love vn's and I love mystery but people seem to have pretty mixed opinions about this one and I'd never buy it at full price. Soo yay or nay for £15?

I can understand why some people might not want to pay full price for the game, but for £15, it's undoubtedly worth it. I love mystery VN's too and I had a blast with it. As far as VN's go, it's very straightforward and stress-free. It's pretty much impossible to not know what you're supposed to do next because the "Think" command points out what you need to do and can be used at any time.

There's also this handy guide you can use to make it even easier: https://psnprofiles.com/guide/5383-letter-trophy-guide :awesome:

If you're not skipping any unread dialogue, you can get the platinum in about 15 hours. For the most part, all that's required of you is to see every ending the game has to offer. They're all very unique, so it's definitely worth reading them all anyway. I would definitely recommend it for that price! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Theladozz said:

Max mode makes no sense to me. The choices are always the same thing with different words so how am I supposed to know what these fuckers want to hear?

Am I missing something or is it really just trial and error?

It wasn't different for me. Sometimes it's really hard to guess what the hint wants me to choose. I guess it's best to just follow the guide by Undead to keep the frustration on a bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

It wasn't different for me. Sometimes it's really hard to guess what the hint wants me to choose. I guess it's best to just follow the guide by Undead to keep the frustration on a bare minimum.

I wanna go blind on my first playthrough so I'm not using the guide yet. I wouldn't say it frustrates me, I just think it's pretty lame then and they coulda done much better. I'll juts keep picking at random for the time being then :D.

2 hours ago, Theladozz said:

I wanna go blind on my first playthrough so I'm not using the guide yet. I wouldn't say it frustrates me, I just think it's pretty lame then and they coulda done much better. I'll juts keep picking at random for the time being then :D.

Sometimes it makes sense, and sometimes it's absolute luck.

You don't really need to follow a guide though since you can try again as many times as you want.

On 2017. 01. 04. at 9:42 PM, Myu said:

Sometimes it makes sense, and sometimes it's absolute luck.

You don't really need to follow a guide though since you can try again as many times as you want.

I think Ive yet to get one correctly on my first try. Im a natural born detective I know :D.

I finished my first route yesterday and got the crossing paths ending which I found pretty stupid tbh. The game really picked up after like chapter 3 or 4, tension was building up nicely

Spoiler

and then all of it was lost when I realized the whole mystery was just one girl pretending to be another :(. Im sure other routes are different but there are a few things that I really dont understand in this one like
Why were they so adamant about hiding the truth from the mc even to the point of attempting murder? There was literally nothing going on that they couldnt have told him at the beggining to avoid this whole ordeal.

Why was Shiori living with Fumino even after she stopped pretending to be Aya? Did they have a relationship or something? Whats up about her own parents, didnt they give a damn about their daughter living with an old fuck for no apparent reason?

Why is the ending so cheesy? "Oh she was waiting for you all this time but she just so happened to move to Africa the other day so youre shit outta luck dude." For fuck sakes she knew his name and his address so how hard is it to open a phone book, make a few calls and get the guy?

I still look forward to playing the other routes cause I "dont know the whole story yet". Well show me what you got root letter, I need some edgy themes!

11 minutes ago, Theladozz said:

I think Ive yet to get one correctly on my first try. Im a natural born detective I know :D.

I finished my first route yesterday and got the crossing paths ending which I found pretty stupid tbh. The game really picked up after like chapter 3 or 4, tension was building up nicely

I still look forward to playing the other routes cause I "dont know the whole story yet". Well show me what you got root letter, I need some edgy themes!

At first, I thought the 4th choice in Max Mode was always the good one (since it's called MAX mode, you know), and it did work a couple of times I don't really know what they were thinking when they added this gameplay thingy, it has nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

I also got that ending first. My favourite endings are definitely "the Princess of Himegamori Forest" and the "Cursed Letter". They are far more interesting than Crossing Paths. :D

Edit : Most of your questions are answered in the other routes.:)

Edited by Myu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myu said:

At first, I thought the 4th choice in Max Mode was always the good one (since it's called MAX mode, you know), and it did work a couple of times I don't really know what they were thinking when they added this gameplay thingy, it has nothing to do with the story whatsoever.

I also got that ending first. My favourite endings are definitely "the Princess of Himegamori Forest" and the "Cursed Letter". They are far more interesting than Crossing Paths. :D

My favourites were when none of the choices were correct and you had to wait it out :lol:. I thought you had to match their politeness or something but I never really got it either.

Well I certainly hope so, Ill probably do one of those tonight.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally finished Root Letter. Overall, a pretty good game and enjoyable if you get the true ending. Not really outstanding in any way though but worth to check out when you're hungry for some more Visual Novels to play :).

:platinum:#35 Root Letter

1L1f1c1b.png

√Letter

You got all the trophies!

I pre-ordered Root Letter and got it a few days before its official release. I really enjoyed my first playthrough until I reached chapter 10/10. Things started going down really fast and before I knew it, the story was over. Root Letter is a Visual Novel with multiple endings. I discovered that I, luckily, got one of the 'bad endings' on my first playthrough and that there were still better endings to be discovered. Unfortunately though, I only ended up liking 2 out of the 5 endings. I'd rank them in this order (watch out, spoilers!)

1. The Bond of Marriage (Enjoyment: 10/10)

Hide contents

The 'true ending'. I really loved this route as it didn't have any supernatural elements to it and it perfectly worked out all questions the game gave you. I really like how this route ended as well and this really was how I wanted the game to end.

2. A Government Plot (Enjoyment: 8/10)

Hide contents

An ending with a supernatural element. Most of the times I don't really like that in games but they really worked the alien theory out in a cool way in this route. I don't like to see this as a possible ending to the game but more as a cool theory Max might have had in a 'bad dream' during his visit to Shimane :lol:

3. Crossing Paths (Enjoyment: 5/10)

Hide contents

The game builds up to this whole 'who is pretending to be Aya Fumino all this time and where is she now' thing and then when you finally think you'll be able to see her, you get to hear ''Yeah, you know, she's been here for a long-ass time but she randomly just went to Africa exactly one day before you came to this place because you thought you found her soooooo, she isn't here. Bye.'' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. The Cursed Letter (Enjoyement: 3/10)

Hide contents

Supernatural stuff again, but this time worked out in a stupid way. Chapter 9 starts. Within the first few seconds I say to myself: 'damn, I got the bad ending, didn't I?' (was my first playthrough). The first thing I see when chapter 9 starts, is a crow. That's bad news. I continued playing and I felt like everything in these two shortest chapters so far, went by way too fast. After the group explains you the whole story, Fatty is suddenly standing next to your bed in the middle of the night. After you wake up, you hear that Fatty died. Well, okay, didn't see that coming but it could still be a good way to tell the story of the game. 'Wait, Bitch might be in danger, let's go see if she's okay.' You rush to Bitch who falls dead on the floor right before your feet. After this, every single member of the group dies within rapid succesion. And as if it wasn't bad enough yet, Max realises he's dead as well only 30 seconds after the other group members die, one by one. Credits. Everyone dead because of the 'evil spirit of Aya Fumino' :facepalm:.

5. The Princess of Himegamori Forest (Enjoyment: 2/10)

Hide contents

The worst of 'em all. ''Shiori pretended to be Aya Fumino and the spirit of the dead, evil Aya Fumino took over Shiori's body and made her turn into a psychopath. In this chapter and the last chapter you will encounter her multiple times while she's wearing creepy masks you always see in horror movies without Max realising it might, possibly be the now crazy Shiori. You get to the nursing house to visit professor Fumino and the same creepy-mask-wearing woman is now a nurse at that exact nursing house. Just when the professor is about to tell you where Shiori is right now, he suddenly collapses and the creepy nurse takes him to his room. You later hear he has been found dead. When you return to Tokyo with the unsolved mystery, the same creepy-mask-wearing woman stands in your brand new office. You receive a new letter from Shiori and realise you might be in trouble now. The end.'' Wow, Kadokawa Games, you really just made up these two horrible endings to get some more content to your game? Please don't do that with your next game...

In the end I still liked this game, even though the The Cursed Letter and the The Princess of Himegamori Forest endings were absolutely awfull. The true ending is amazing and still made this game one of my favorite games of 2016 :)

Difficulty: 1/10

Enjoyment: 8/10