Resident Evil VII Demo Discussion

It looks good, but...

...it doesn't feel like a RE game to me. RE is more about sc-fi horror rather than supernatural horror. Hopefully there will be more of a "classic" RE feel as more info about the game is released. Just my opinion though.

Well, it was confirmed that zombies would still play a major role as an antagonist, so you can hold on to that hope!

Why people have the false notion that Resident Evil was scary? The series was always about zombie-outbreak survival, full of tension, scarce-resources stress and a few scare-jumps here and there, never about ghosts and paranormal activity. Although I liked what I played on the demo, I felt to me like some other game, not anything like RE.

That "false notion" is entirely subjective. Different things scare different people. I find a heavy atmosphere, unseen enemies, and a sense of dread to be far more terrifying than in-your-face brutal violence and jump scares. The Resident Evil trilogy (1, 2, and 3) and the PS2 releases up until 4 all had a great balance of extreme violence and atmosphere, and I found it to be truly scary. 

It did look great, the atmosphere was awesome and i'm pretty sure this will be a great game. I do think the final version will have different play style because is a Resident Evil game, but i do hope they will deliver this atmosphere, i also recorded my full run and was great.

• Like 1

Did any of you notice there is a ghost outside?

It is freaking creepy what I saw

Could you point when in the video. I've watched it 3 times now and not saw anything?

Edit: nevermind I spotted it. To people that may be looking for it, when the guys reach the door before he kicks it in, when the cerma is facing away from the guys... right at the moment the player position 's the view of the camera at that point.

Edited by ZachBoardyHD

I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel anything like a Resi game, more like PT and SH vibe to it.   I know it's more of a style taster and this won't be in the game, but it's not the Resi game I've been wanting to see for some time now.   

I've always though Capcom should have went the Rocksteady route.   Arkham re-styled and re-skinned for Resi is the game I think would've been outstanding.   A big open city to explore, buildings to climb and enter/clear out etc...   So much could be done with that scenario, but alas...

For what little it was, and yeah I did loop plenty, thanks for the useless axe and trolling me with the dummy finger Cap, but nonetheless, it had good atmosphere and with guns and enemies it'll probably work quite well.   Not particularly happy with first person, if it remains that way, but that in itself might be the curse of VR.   Just need to wait and see.

As to Resi being scary, I agree that's subjective, tense and atmospheric, spooky/creepy, yeah I guess, I can see some describing Resi as scary, i never really found it to be so, certainly not as scary as the first time I played SH1, not by a long shot!  Lol

Could you point when in the video. I've watched it 3 times now and not saw anything?

Edit: nevermind I spotted it. To people that may be looking for it, when the guys reach the door before he kicks it in, when the cerma is facing away from the guys... right at the moment the player position 's the view of the camera at that point.

It's on 1:11

It depends. Some people never found them scary but me personally growing up with them I found Resi 1 - 3 scary. 

I never played Resi 4 but I enjoyed Resi 5. I thought Resi 6 though was a joke.

I liked the demo. It is different. Not sure about the switch to first person but we will see what happens with it. Can't wait to see more of this game closer to release date. 

I share the same opinion :)

I don't believe that this demo will be the final version ( i hope so) i already played similiar games like outlast, P.T, the forest, emily wants to play, the joy of creation etc..

Resident evil 7 don't need to be so "bad" like RE6  but it is also needless to be like those games...

• Like 1

Not a big fan of the new direction. However I am well aware and was hoping to see Resident Evil change its formula because just like RE1- Code Veronica the gameplay was getting to be quite repetitive. Plus RE5 and RE6 really didn't add anything scary at all. The RE7 demo didn't really do anything for me personally though. The graphics were pretty great and I like the darkness that permeates the atmosphere of the game but other than that nothing really interesting happens. I'm not going to judge the whole RE7 title on face-value of what the demo allowed me to play but what I experienced wasn't anything truly ground-breaking or exciting in terms of building hype for the newest RE installment. Just felt like another typical first person horror game mixed in with elements from the Blair Witch Project. I'd give it 5/10 at best.

Edited by Lightning
  • Like 1

Finally decided to play through the 'demo' and I have to say it was a pretty underwhelming experience. I actually enjoyed watching Let's Plays of it more than playing it myself, since some of the players seemed genuinely creeped out.

I'm not against RE taking this route, I just wish they could find their own voice instead of completely ripping off P.T. and every other 1st person horror game of the past few years (and somehow making everything less scary in the process).

Overall I think they're on to something here, now they just need to make it... well... good.

"atmospheric horror, a genre that seems to be slowly dying" - you do realize the ONLY new horror games out there are first person "atmospheric" titles... This genre isn't dying at all, it's being overflooded. The last third person survival horror game was Silent Hill Downpour. Since then it is a lot cheaper to do first person atmospheric horror games so that is all these developers put out. 

This RE7 is nothing but Capcoms reaction to seeing how well PT (Silent Hills) was being received so when PT was cancelled they said fuck it, lets steal their thunder and make it our own. Only Capcom put zero effort into the game (like always) and now we are getting a crappy PS2 looking escape the room game that looks like something you would download for your phone or tablet.

There was nothing interesting or unique to make this stand out as a new game in the RE series, which makes people think this was originally a new IP that was slapped on an RE title just to get it more recognition. I am all for first person horror games but they can't be cheap looking like this garbage.

Resident Evil 7 has been scaring me, but not in the ways I was hoping for. 

Playing through the demo I share the sentiment with many others that this game doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game. 

Partially because of the switch to the first person, which makes the game feel more reminiscent of many other horror games to come out recently, but there is more that bothers me than just that. 

Resident Evil games before this always had a level of silliness to their stories. Evil Corporation creating a bunch of different viruses, using an entire city as a testing ground. Chris and Wesker keep running into each other, Wesker wants to become a God, etc, etc. Not to mention the "excellent" dialogue throughout many of the games. 

That level of campiness seems to be missing as of now, and that went a long way toward differentiating Resident Evil from other games, as well as getting me into the series in the first place. From the trailer it seems like RE7 is going to be 100% serious with its narrative. 

Additionally I am concerned about the supernatural elements that appear in the demo. Aside from RE 3.5, Resident Evil has always been Sci-Fi horror. 

I know that the developers have stated that the final game will be a lot more like prior Resident Evil games, and I truly hope that some my issues are addressed or explained, but in the meantime I worry about the future of the game.