Vita accidental protection plan

Partik24

I spilled a little water on my Vita last night and i wiped it off and turned it off to prevent any damage. This morning I turned it on and the left analog stick is not working properly, it keeps holding downwards. So I turned it off again.

It's been 7 months since I bought the Vita, I can still get the 3 year accidental protection plan from Sony for $70 which would activate 14 days after purchase.

Would I be able to pretend that I just spilled water after that and get Sony to repair the device?

Why don't you plead ignorance first? Just call support and tell them the left analog stick isn't working and you don't know why. You have a 1 year warranty included with your initial purchase.

Because if they go to repair it and for whatever reason they could tell there was water in the case, he would likely be screwed.

What happens if I send em it and they find out its water damage. Would they refuse to repair and send it back? Just worried about the amount of time it will take. And then I dunno if I would be able to use the accidental plan method cause they knew I lied earlier.

I noticed the accidental plan says "no previous damage". Wondering if that means before you bought the plan or before you bought the Vita. I might have to wait a month or something to make it not look suspicous. I dunno what to do, I really want a working Vita right now and even went to the stores to look. But Vitas are no longer sold in Canada stores. I might just have to send to Sony for repairs and hope its less than $100 and I get it within 2 weeks.

I would play it safe and get the accidental plan, then wait a couple months or so to make a claim on it. Also, is there a 2 year or 1 year accidental plan you can purchase instead of that really expensive 3 year? If you purchased it from Target, their accidental plans are a Steal of the Year contenders. A 3 year complete coverage with accidental was $25 for my PS4, and for the Vita's $200 price tag, it'd only be like $14 for the 3 years. Often times retailers will still sell you the protection plan even if you're outside of their return policy but still within the manufacturer warranty.

• Like 1

I would play it safe and get the accidental plan, then wait a couple months or so to make a claim on it. Also, is there a 2 year or 1 year accidental plan you can purchase instead of that really expensive 3 year? If you purchased it from Target, their accidental plans are a Steal of the Year contenders. A 3 year complete coverage with accidental was $25 for my PS4, and for the Vita's $200 price tag, it'd only be like $14 for the 3 years. Often times retailers will still sell you the protection plan even if you're outside of their return policy but still within the manufacturer warranty.

I looked but there's only 3 years. And I can't get the complete coverage from Best Buy anymore because I woulda had to buy it within 30 days of purchase. I wish Sony didn't stop manufacturing Vitas all together or I coulda just just purchase a new one and not worry about this anymore.

Because if they go to repair it and for whatever reason they could tell there was water in the case, he would likely be screwed.

More screwed than he is now, with a Vita with a busted analog stick? If he buys the $70 accidental plan with that be guaranteed 100% to fix his situation? 

Repeat after me, "Oh, I didn't know that...", "I'm not sure", "I don't know"

As in:

"Sir, we looked at your Vita and it appears that the problem with the analog stick seems to have been exposed to some moisture"

"Oh, I didn't know that..."

"Did you spill something on your Vita?"

"I'm not sure"

"You're not sure? This seems like that's exactly what the problem is. Did you or did you not expose your Vita to moisture?"

"I don't know..."

Repeat as needed. You will wear them out, just don't ever, ever, ever, ever confirm anything they ask about damaging the Vita.

Considering Apple settled on a $53 million settlement over faulty moisture detectors that would show exposure if you had your iPhone in your pocket and stuck your sweaty hand in to grab it, I don't know how stringent Sony is going to be accusing customers of exposing their devices to moisture, especially if it's just the analog stick that's not working.

What happens if I send em it and they find out its water damage. Would they refuse to repair and send it back? Just worried about the amount of time it will take. And then I dunno if I would be able to use the accidental plan method cause they knew I lied earlier.

I noticed the accidental plan says "no previous damage". Wondering if that means before you bought the plan or before you bought the Vita. I might have to wait a month or something to make it not look suspicous. I dunno what to do, I really want a working Vita right now and even went to the stores to look. But Vitas are no longer sold in Canada stores. I might just have to send to Sony for repairs and hope its less than $100 and I get it within 2 weeks.

Usually Accidental plans aren't covered by Sony themselves but by 3rd party companies. If you send to Sony, reference the above tips for any interaction with them. Never confirm any suspicion they accuse you of. If they don't honor their warranty and send it back, they're not going to have any interactions whatsoever with the 3rd party Accidental Warranty people. Also, because you're still within the 1 year initial warranty, turn around would likely be fairly quick.

I looked but there's only 3 years. And I can't get the complete coverage from Best Buy anymore because I woulda had to buy it within 30 days of purchase. I wish Sony didn't stop manufacturing Vitas all together or I coulda just just purchase a new one and not worry about this anymore.

Sony didn't stop manufacturing the Vita's. Retailers have just stopped stocking so many in stores. They're still widely available online. 

My Vita's left analog stick was drifting to the right on its own and I was worried if I need to send it to repair (I've had it for 8 months). After some googling I found out analog stick issues are very common with Vita.

I turned power off and slowly rotated both sticks separately 25 times clockwise and counter clockwise, then turned power back on and made sure I'm not touching the sticks when the system booted and when I launched any software. This fixed my analog stick calibration issues at least for now. Haven't seen the problem come back since and it's been a few days.

I didn't spill anything on my Vita though, but hopefully this will help your device as well!

If this doesn't fix it and you have guarantee, I suggest sending it to Sony and they should either repair it or provide you with a replacement. Don't have to mention what happened to it, just convince them it has broken in normal use. Mine hadn't been used awfully much (or violently), I hadn't dropped it or spilled anything on it and it hadn't gathered dust, it just started acting up on its own and I've read these issues have happened to dozens of people.